MadonnaNation.com Forums
MrK1ngB33

The Girlie show - Was it always going to be called this ?

6 hours ago, mafalda said:

You should reconsider what you're saying. Her 1993 rendition of Like a Virgin has been totally underrated by many fans who do not take the time to explore beyond her parody of German pronunciation. That cheeky performance was truly artistic as it paid homage to one of the greatest, Mrs Dietrich. Also, her make up was on point. 

And the performance idea (concept, not necessarily song selection) was suggested by Mr. Gene Kelly, if I recall correctly! :wow:  :dramatic:  :inlove:

1 hour ago, peter said:

And the performance idea (concept, not necessarily song selection) was suggested by Mr. Gene Kelly, if I recall correctly! :wow:  :dramatic:  :inlove:

Correct. She said she had an idea of doing something dressed as a man, and Gene really pressed her, saying 'who else could it?'. Once you're dressed as Marlene dressed as a man, Like a Wirgen is inevitable.

The LAV performance from TGS is one of the prime examples of what truly sets Madonna apart from every single pop bitch in the game - before and after. An incredible piece of performance art, paying homage to one of her greatest inspirations. I have to admit myself that I didn't quite 'get it' for many years. Then it sort of dawned on me the utter brilliance of it, along with expanding my knowledge of classic Hollywood and the true greats like Dietrich over the years. It then all comes into focus and makes perfect sense. Still surprises me that so much of her fanbase doesn't seem to 'get' this one...

2 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

The LAV performance from TGS is one of the prime examples of what truly sets Madonna apart from every single pop bitch in the game - before and after. An incredible piece of performance art, paying homage to one of her greatest inspirations. I have to admit myself that I didn't quite 'get it' for many years. Then it sort of dawned on me the utter brilliance of it, along with expanding my knowledge of classic Hollywood and the true greats like Dietrich over the years. It then all comes into focus and makes perfect sense. Still surprises me that so much of her fanbase doesn't seem to 'get' this one...

Getting it doesn't mean liking it. Though I do like it because The Girlie Show is the most amaze balls thing she's ever done.

4 hours ago, erotica blu said:

Getting it doesn't mean liking it.

I understand that. I meant it more so as I've come across a lot of folks who don't seem to really care to even understand the performance at all, or where it's coming from, or what it's at least trying to do.

5 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

I was such a big Marlene fan back then and I was floored when I saw that performance. She used to reference Marlene a lot in pictures and postures but I never expected a singing homage. And it fitted so incredibly well into the Girlie Show Varieté concept. 

18 hours ago, mafalda said:

Remember the MADONNA WORLD TOUR in 2012? That was really creative, genius!

You should reconsider what you're saying. Her 1993 rendition of Like a Virgin has been totally underrated by many fans who do not take the time to explore beyond her parody of German pronunciation. That cheeky performance was truly artistic as it paid homage to one of the greatest, Mrs Dietrich. Also, her make up was on point. 

The MDNA Tour version of Like a Virgin also creates these mixed up opinions as it obviously did not match the original key of the song. Again, it was redone for purely artistic reasons and Madonna had never sounded more vulnerable onstage ever. I am actually sad I didn't get to see it as she decided to skip it here in Chile. All of you who got to see her are, indeed, very lucky.

That's how she looked at the Arsenio Anniversary Special!

She had red hair at the Arsenio gig

18 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Some things take time to be cherished. 

What I find really interesting is that Madonna has dressed like 'the groom' every 10 years starting in 1993:

like-a-virgin01.jpg

Then again at the 2003 VMA

2441588.jpg

And finally in 2013 for the EPIX premiere of the MDNA Tour

madonna-the-mdna-tour-premiere-01.JPG

7 hours ago, mafalda said:

What I find really interesting is that Madonna has dressed like 'the groom' every 10 years starting in 1993:

like-a-virgin01.jpg

2441588.jpg

Ooooooh, I never noticed that  :elite:

The MDNA premiere face is up there with the all time BEST.

11 minutes ago, acko said:

The MDNA premiere face is up there with the all time BEST.

Perfection. How she did that?

1 minute ago, cosmic_system said:

Perfection. How she did that?

I don't know!! 1990 came back 2 visit us, she doesn't even look like she had work done!

Love the title but I despise the Ellen hair - awful. Wish she’d kept the red hair and short fringe - perfection.

On 2018-02-23 at 5:00 PM, mafalda said:

like-a-virgin01.jpg

2441588.jpg

Good catch:clap:

five more years to go

The short blond cut was EVERYTHING. It makes the opening number Dita look work. I can't imagine The Girlie Show without it.

I Like the hair, its iconic and very MADONNA

I used to dislike the butch short haircut but I love it now. It's bold and sexy.

18 minutes ago, DagIN said:

I used to dislike the butch short haircut but I love it now. It's bold and sexy.

Very. Madonna being daring is the absolute best.

The do was part of the overall theme...

inthislife3.jpg

GLORIOUS.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:31 PM, luluthecat said:

Wish she’d kept the red hair and short fringe - perfection.

Madonna w/ red hair is an abomination against God.

Oh I just love that look!! One of my favourite Herb Ritts shoots ever!!!

13 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

Madonna w/ red hair is an abomination against God.

Madonna w/ red hair is sexy as hell

MV5BMjNhYjBiNDEtMGUzYy00ODI2LTk0MDYtYmI4

9 hours ago, cocolattee said:

Madonna w/ red hair is sexy as hell

MV5BMjNhYjBiNDEtMGUzYy00ODI2LTk0MDYtYmI4

my favourite look from the Hollywood video :wow:

On 22.2.2018 at 1:44 PM, functions_X said:

sure, but this new trend of starting with album tracks started much later, in the 80's and 90's it was always a huge hit opening a show, personally I prefer it that way.

Not really, Dress You Up opened the Virgin Tour and the song became a single AFTER the tour had ended.

The show had a nice concept. Still, I think she could have easily added a few more songs. Words, Rescue Me, Thief of Hearts and Bad Girl, most importantly. 

Like a Marlene was terrible and after performing it on every tour, it wasn't a necessary performance since casual fans probably hated it anyway. I get why she has done In This Life but I'd still preferred to hear Bad Girl after a performance of Thief of Hearts in the disco section. I'm Going Bananas was also a pointless waste of time. This whole tour was just a BIT whack in terms of song selection but the stage production and everything else was great, I agree.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, S.E.X. said:

The show had a nice concept. Still, I think she could have easily added a few more songs. Words, Rescue Me, Thief of Hearts and Bad Girl, most importantly. 

Like a Marlene was terrible and after performing it on every tour, it wasn't a necessary performance since casual fans probably hated it anyway. I get why she has done In This Life but I'd still preferred to hear Bad Girl after a performance of Thief of Hearts in the disco section. I'm Going Bananas was also a pointless waste of time. This whole tour was just a BIT whack in terms of song selection but the stage production and everything else was great, I agree.

Y3LBmNK.gif

On 22/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, Paul said:

She said she was thinking the Rain hair, but went blonde to be different from the dancers.

I just can't picture her touring as a brunette

I think she was always calling it The Girlie Show Tour; if I'm not mistaken, "Erotica" the album was originally going to be called, "Girlie Show."

I think she wanted to do her Blond Ambition and Girlie tours with dark hair but she changed her mind last minute for both. 

2 hours ago, eroticerotic said:

I think she was always calling it The Girlie Show Tour; if I'm not mistaken, "Erotica" the album was originally going to be called, "Girlie Show."

I think she wanted to do her Blond Ambition and Girlie tours with dark hair but she changed her mind last minute for both. 

Well she couldn't do the Blond Ambition Tour with dark hair now could she!?:lmao: