MadonnaNation.com Forums
MrK1ngB33

The Girlie show - Was it always going to be called this ?

If Find it  strange she called this tour THE GIRLIE SHOW.  Anyone else ? It has nothing to do with the Erotica album nor any lyrics it’s based off a painting. I just find it odd that in her most heightened hate as an artist  she would choose that as her tour name? Does anyone know what it was originally going to be called? 

THE BAD GIRL WORLD TOUR would have been much more appropriate!!

Originally she was going to call the album like that so it's not that surprising.

BXKbtUMCYAAOshK-1.jpg

The Girlie Show is an amazing title for a concert tour. Madonna was good at avoiding generic titles for her tours. Whereas Janet Jackson would literally tour with the title of the album she was then promoting. 

13 hours ago, MrK1ngB33 said:

If Find it  strange she called this tour THE GIRLIE SHOW.  Anyone else ? It has nothing to do with the Erotica album nor any lyrics it’s based off a painting. I just find it odd that in her most heightened hate as an artist  she would choose that as her tour name? Does anyone know what it was originally going to be called?

You said it yourself. What better, more original inspiration could there be?

girlie-show.jpg

15 hours ago, erotica blu said:

The Girlie Show is an amazing title for a concert tour. Madonna was good at avoiding generic titles for her tours. Whereas Janet Jackson would literally tour with the title of the album she was then promoting. 

A practice Madonna would repeat with MDNA and Rebel Heart. Super original titles! :drama:

But surely it has everything to do with the theme of the Erotica album and SEX - apart from the fact Erotica was going to be called The Girlie Show originally. 

It's women being sexy and owning it!

I just wished she'd opened with Bye Bye Baby as that had the perfect show opening! 

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

I just wished she'd opened with Bye Bye Baby as that had the perfect show opening

Sure, the performance had that spoken intro, but I think that starting with an less known album song is not a great idea for any artist, it just makes casual fans feel like they are out of place at the concert. And most of the people at any concert don't really know every song from the album, so a hit is a much better choice to get the party started.

8 hours ago, mafalda said:

A practice Madonna would repeat with MDNA and Rebel Heart. Super original titles! :drama:

Madonna has done her share of autopilot shit in the last half of her career. 

6 hours ago, jonski43 said:

But surely it has everything to do with the theme of the Erotica album and SEX - apart from the fact Erotica was going to be called The Girlie Show originally. 

It's women being sexy and owning it!

I just wished she'd opened with Bye Bye Baby as that had the perfect show opening! 

Bye Bye Baby provides the best possible jolt to the show after she does her comedic and slow version of Like A Virgin. 

This version of like a wurgeon is the worst performance of her career !  And going bananas is TROLLDONNA

11 hours ago, Kim said:

girlie-show.jpg

I NEVER knew this! This makes it even better 

12 hours ago, Kim said:

girlie-show.jpg

This might have inspired her mid-'93 hairstyle, too.

830fca21614740fc53e94d8776095e58--madonn  1993+Herb+Ritts+Miami+%2528Interview+USA

Had the dye she was using not severely damaged her hair, she may have maintained it for the stage show.

13 minutes ago, Mattress said:

830fca21614740fc53e94d8776095e58--madonn  1993+Herb+Ritts+Miami+%2528Interview+USA

Had the dye she was using not severely damaged her hair, she may have maintained it for the stage show.

wasn´t she planning on going to tour with black hair?

anyways, I didn´t understand the name of the tour back then: it made sense after somebody shared here that painting

8 hours ago, functions_X said:

Sure, the performance had that spoken intro, but I think that starting with an less known album song is not a great idea for any artist, it just makes casual fans feel like they are out of place at the concert. And most of the people at any concert don't really know every song from the album, so a hit is a much better choice to get the party started.

This is Madonna who opened with candy shop, iconic and girl gone wild!

31 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Candy Shop is an appropriate opener since it opened Hard Candy. 

2 hours ago, Mattress said:

Oh wow, Girlie Show with that hair? I love the idea. I never liked her butch short yellow hair on the tour. 

12 minutes ago, erotica blu said:

Candy Shop is an appropriate opener since it opened Hard Candy. 

That wasn't the point. The point was that functions X said it was better to open a show with a big hit but M often doesn't do that.

4 hours ago, promise to try said:

wasn´t she planning on going to tour with black hair?

anyways, I didn´t understand the name of the tour back then: it made sense after somebody shared here that painting

Yea she said she initially wanted the Rain video look for the tour as well.... but then she decided to go blonde again because it looks better on stage

On 21/02/2018 at 2:54 PM, Gus said:

Originally she was going to call the album like that so it's not that surprising.

are we sure that's true? despite the picture of the tracklist, i distinctly remember an interview where she talked about coming across the painting when she was getting ideas for the show, hence the whole structure of the show.

7 hours ago, MrK1ngB33 said:

This version of like a wurgeon is the worst performance of her career !  And going bananas is TROLLDONNA

Get out!

3 hours ago, jonski43 said:

That wasn't the point. The point was that functions X said it was better to open a show with a big hit but M often doesn't do that.

Exactly. And Future Lovers was the best possible opening to CT.

56 minutes ago, cocolattee said:

Yea she said she initially wanted the Rain video look for the tour as well.... but then she decided to go blonde again because it looks better on stage

She said she was thinking the Rain hair, but went blonde to be different from the dancers.

4 hours ago, jonski43 said:

sure, but this new trend of starting with album tracks started much later, in the 80's and 90's it was always a huge hit opening a show, personally I prefer it that way.

8 hours ago, MrK1ngB33 said:

tumblr_odgx20jEXG1s1v3r1o2_250.gif

I always loved the name! In contrasted nicely with her BUTCH haircut  :wow:

1 hour ago, IsaacHarris said:

I always loved the name! In contrasted nicely with her BUTCH haircut  :wow:

Yes, she was a Girlie dyke. 

I always find it weird when people wanna redo things from her majestic period.

GS was PERFECTION.

18 minutes ago, acko said:

GS was PERFECTION.

Indeed.

girlie-show-november-93-hbo-14.jpg

1 hour ago, acko said:

GS was PERFECTION.

There is nothing to redo except add an LA date to The Girlie Show tour since she did Mexico.

14 hours ago, erotica blu said:

Madonna has done her share of autopilot shit in the last half of her career. 

Remember the MADONNA WORLD TOUR in 2012? That was really creative, genius!

14 hours ago, MrK1ngB33 said:

You should reconsider what you're saying. Her 1993 rendition of Like a Virgin has been totally underrated by many fans who do not take the time to explore beyond her parody of German pronunciation. That cheeky performance was truly artistic as it paid homage to one of the greatest, Mrs Dietrich. Also, her make up was on point. 

The MDNA Tour version of Like a Virgin also creates these mixed up opinions as it obviously did not match the original key of the song. Again, it was redone for purely artistic reasons and Madonna had never sounded more vulnerable onstage ever. I am actually sad I didn't get to see it as she decided to skip it here in Chile. All of you who got to see her are, indeed, very lucky.

13 hours ago, Mattress said:

That's how she looked at the Arsenio Anniversary Special!

On 2/21/2018 at 9:45 AM, Kim said:

girlie-show.jpg

I Love thsi , never knew