MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robster

Patrick Leonard on the creation of "Live To Tell"

On 11/02/2018 at 9:54 AM, Raider of the lost Ark said:

That said, I still believe, the "false" placement was done on purpose by Madonna. She wanted to be acknowledged as a director, not as a musician. She said, she did ot want to record a song in the first place. I don't believe it was a mishap considering the people involved in the project. 

Errrrr, no.

Maybe the Oscars just didn’t feel like giving it a nomination?!

11 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

Maybe the Oscars just didn’t feel like giving it a nomination?!

they have very specific rules since the 1940's

44 minutes ago, Kim said:

I try to ignore most of these rumours, but some of the theories are so WHACK you just have to say something.

No, what's weird is to think that she DELIBERATELY did it so as to not get a nomination. It's far more likely that it was an oversight or that they just didn't think about it at all, than to think they did it on purpose so at to keep the focus on her as a director. A win for best song would have been the biggest gift/promo that movie could ever have received. And yes, I do believe her creative team are incompetent. 

Agreed.

And as you say an OSCAR is an Oscar for whatever category you win it for.  

I can talk about my experience in advertising, we submit the best creative work to a lot of festivals, Cannes being the most important (my agency has won several Lions and a creative friend of mine won the Grand Prix for Health Care), in the agency there's even a person dedicated to the task of submitting everything in the precise and exact order and according to rules. So to me, a mistake like this is unthinkable in someone in the caliber of M and team... :dazed:

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Agreed.

And as you say an OSCAR is an Oscar for whatever category you win it for.  

I can talk about my experience in advertising, we submit the best creative work to a lot of festivals, Cannes being the most important (my agency has won several Lions and a creative friend of mine won the Grand Prix for Health Care), in the agency there's even a person dedicated to the task of submitting everything in the precise and exact order and according to rules. So to me, a mistake like this is unthinkable in someone in the caliber of M and team... :dazed:

I don't think the Oscar rules for best song were at the forefront of her mind while cutting her film (with the incompetent Danny Tull on editing duties no less) so I don't think it was necessarily a mistake, just as I don't think she sat there and said to herself "gee I better make sure I put this cue before that one just in case I have the misfortune of being nominated for an Oscar" I doubt it was even on their radar at all until the Golden Globes took an interest - and by then it was too late.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

I don't think the Oscar rules for best song were at the forefront of her mind while cutting her film (with the incompetent Danny Tull on editing duties no less) so I don't think it was necessarily a mistake, just as I don't think she sat there and said to herself "gee I better make sure I put this cue before that one just in case I have the misfortune of being nominated for an Oscar" I doubt it was even on their radar at all until the Golden Globos took an interest - and by then it was too late.

Yeah, that’s a possible scenario. 

It would be nice to say Madonna Oscar Academy Winner, just for the sake of saying it.