MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robster

Patrick Leonard on the creation of "Live To Tell"

1 minute ago, Rugbyguy said:

Girl Gone Wild is a fucking bop!!!

GIF-do-want-like-likes-Matthew-McConaugh

I don’t get the GGW hate when there are songs like Superstar on the same album. At least GGW gave us a fantastic video and an iconic performance. Even though I‘m not the biggest fan, I will still defend it until I die. :lol:

Anyway, let’s get back to the amazingness that is Live To Tell. There is no other female singer that has ever recorded a ballad as good as this song. #fact

I love superstar.The melody is great. The lyrics may be a a little cringe at times but I still enjoy it. 

5 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Not.

Please let's not take away from it the only thing GGW achieved , let's not rewrite history. It's the worst Madonna song. 

Roland Barthes, I love your intense hatred for GGW !  Still remember a post you did years back about your hatred for the song and your passionate hatred was so compelling and well expressed !  

1 hour ago, DagIN said:

I don’t get the GGW hate when there are songs like Superstar on the same album. At least GGW gave us a fantastic video and an iconic performance. Even though I‘m not the biggest fan, I will still defend it until I die. :lol:

Anyway, let’s get back to the amazingness that is Live To Tell. There is no other female singer that has ever recorded a ballad as good as this song. #fact

DagIN, So true about Live to tell.  It is unique. So dramatic, sad, haunting and compelling. I can't imagine anyone else being able to sing it either with as much sadness and feeling Madonna has without going over the top. She is so incredibly underrated as a singer. 

1 hour ago, spotlight said:

I love superstar.The melody is great. The lyrics may be a a little cringe at times but I still enjoy it. 

Me 2 

1 hour ago, DagIN said:

Aside from Madonna that is. Id put Oh Father up there with Live To Tell with You'll See a close second. 

How Live To Tell never got nominated for a Golden Globe or an Oscar ill never know. How is it she can win a GG for crap like Masterpiece but be completely snubbed for this amazing song ill never know.

6 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

How is it she can win a GG for crap like Masterpiece

Her win on Masterpiece was totally worth the expression on Eltons fuckin face when he lost!

1 minute ago, Aries said:

Her win on Masterpiece was totally worth the expression on Eltons fuckin face when he lost!

I would have loved to know what was going through his mind at that precise moment

4 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

I would have loved to know what was going through his mind at that precise moment

I’m sure “fuckin’ cunt!” was somewhere in there

OMG! GGW and Masterpiece are both great songs, Masterpiece more than GGW. GGW could sound a bit cheesy, but its a lot of fun! Love it.

"Live to Tell" is the only Madonna song that has ever been #1 (in the U.S.) on my birthday throughout my life.  I didn't know it at the time -- haha! -- I was fairly young still, and not listening to contemporary pop music at that age.  (It would be another few years before I'd be listening to Top 40 radio...)  Considering how many weeks Madonna songs have sat atop the charts, I was a little surprised LTT is the only one to have been #1 on my birthday.  So that's the little special connection I feel to LTT.  The themes and shadowy lyrical content resonated for me later on...

And yes, of course, Madonna's songwriting has been criminally ignored by the Academy over the years...  She has gotten a few little nods of recognition from the GGs and the Grammys once or twice, but ... it's still ridiculously under-represents her significant soundtrack contributions. 

I apologize 4 derailing the thread :lol:

21 minutes ago, acko said:

I apologize 4 derailing the thread :lol:

It's harmless compared to the damage GGW has done. :kiss2:

4 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

How Live To Tell never got nominated for a Golden Globe or an Oscar ill never know. How is it she can win a GG for crap like Masterpiece but be completely snubbed for this amazing song ill never know.

The song was not nominated because it did not meet the criteria to be nominated. Best ORIGINAL song. LTT was not written specifically for At Close Range. It originated from another project as Patrick explained. Therefore it is not deemed "original". 

Masterpiece did not meet the criteria either. Not because it was not original. But there seems to be a rule about the placement of the song within a motion picture. It has to appear in the movie or must be part of the ending credits. Problem: the credits started running while the musical score of the final scene was still playing. Masterpiece only starts seconds after. It's a technicality. It's ridiculous. That said, I still believe, the "false" placement was done on purpose by Madonna. She wanted to be acknowledged as a director, not as a musician. She said, she did ot want to record a song in the first place. I don't believe it was a mishap considering the people involved in the project. 

12 hours ago, Nightshade said:

:lol: I am glad I am not the only person who hates that song (minus the brilliant Felix Da Housecat 

It's a horror show.

It destroyed Madonna's chart success in the USA, and don't get me started on that video with the flags :dead:don't know what Warner and M were thinking when they picked it as the lead single.

6 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

The song was not nominated because it did not meet the criteria to be nominated. Best ORIGINAL song. LTT was not written specifically for At Close Range. It originated from another project as Patrick explained. Therefore it is not deemed "original". 

Masterpiece did not meet the criteria either. Not because it was not original. But there seems to be a rule about the placement of the song within a motion picture. It has to appear in the movie or must be part of the ending credits. Problem: the credits started running while the musical score of the final scene was still playing. Masterpiece only starts seconds after. It's a technicality. It's ridiculous. That said, I still believe, the "false" placement was done on purpose by Madonna. She wanted to be acknowledged as a director, not as a musician. She said, she did ot want to record a song in the first place. I don't believe it was a mishap considering the people involved in the project. 

Absolutely  :yes:

LTT is basically when I became a major fan of Madonna. I loved the first 2 albums but she became my idol in 1986. I was 15 @ the time it was released. I was on spring break in Florida with my family when it came on the radio the first time i heard it. I was Obsessed with it. It was so dark and sad, such huge departure for her. When the  video was released, I was mesmerized. To this day LTT is still my favorite Madonna song. In 86 I was still getting used to the fact I was gay. Closeted. In a way it helped me come out finally 2 years later. It's a timeless classic. 

On 11/02/2018 at 9:54 AM, Raider of the lost Ark said:

That said, I still believe, the "false" placement was done on purpose by Madonna. She wanted to be acknowledged as a director, not as a musician. She said, she did ot want to record a song in the first place. I don't believe it was a mishap considering the people involved in the project. 

:rotfl:

And yet she DID record the song, she DID put it in the film, she DID go up and receive the GG, but yeah Madonna deliberately sabotaged her chance of winning an OSCAR, she really showed them!!!

1 hour ago, Kim said:

:rotfl:

And yet she DID record the song, she DID put it in the film, she DID go up and receive the GG, but yeah Madonna deliberately sabotaged her chance of winning an OSCAR, she really showed them!!!

I know. There are many strange fan rumours and odd scenarios, but this one takes the cake.

I don´t beleive in conspiracy theories and all that sorts of rumours and crazy scenarios, but there's absolutely no way she didn't know about the Oscar's rule. 

Any creative who wants to submit their work at any moment in time, knows the rules of any contest even before starting their creative enterprise. Even more so if we are talking about the Oscars, a contest that Madonna is familiar with. 

Do we really think that Madonna and their team were that stupid that they didn't know or chek the rules of what they were going to submit. Even if they were going to submit the movie anyway in the first place (without music)?

She recorded the song, she put it in the film and for months and months didn't check were the music should be placed? 

Why she (they) did it that way, I don't know but to think that it was an "accident" at that level is so weird... 

47 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don´t beleive in conspiracy theories and all that sorts of rumours and crazy scenarios, but there's absolutely no way she didn't know about the Oscar's rule. 

Any creative who wants to submit their work at any moment in time, knows the rules of any contest even before starting their creative enterprise. Even more so if we are talking about the Oscars, a contest that Madonna is familiar with. 

Do we really think that Madonna and their team were that stupid that they didn't know or chek the rules of what they were going to submit. Even if they were going to submit the movie anyway in the first place (without music)?

She recorded the song, she put it in the film and for months and months didn't check were the music should be placed? 

Why she (they) did it that way, I don't know but to think that it was an "accident" at that level is so weird... 

This is a bit OT, but ... I am not so sure about this whole scenario. Did the Academy change this rule recently? Wasn’t the original song from CHICAGO (the musical) nominated? At the end of Chicago, the credits begin rolling (in much the same way as WE — names of stars) before “We Move On” (or whatever the title was) starts playing. In fact, it’s worse — the reprise of “All That Jazz” (finale) finishes, and there is an instrumental that is either the overture repeated or a piece of the entr’acte. (Can’t recall off the top of my head...) But it’s basically like a “curtain call” of the main players w/ their credits. Only when the screen cuts to black and the other credits begin to roll does the nominated song start. 

Maybe they changed the rule since then, but ... it just seems odd.

I can completely see Madonna sticking to her creative vision and wanting things to be “just so” at the end of her film. 

Edited by peter
typo

1 hour ago, DagIN said:

I know. There are many strange fan rumours and odd scenarios, but this one takes the cake.

I try to ignore most of these rumours, but some of the theories are so WHACK you just have to say something.

34 minutes ago, Pedro said:

No, what's weird is to think that she DELIBERATELY did it so as to not get a nomination. It's far more likely that it was an oversight or that they just didn't think about it at all, than to think they did it on purpose so at to keep the focus on her as a director. A win for best song would have been the biggest gift/promo that movie could ever have received. And yes, I do believe her creative team are incompetent. 

Live To Tell will always be in my all time Madonna top 10. It is an epic song of colossal stature in her back catalogue and one of the best pop 'power' (ugh) ballads of all time. The lyrics are also amongst her very best. 

If I ran away
I'd never have the strength
To go very far
How would they hear
The beating of my heart
Will it grow cold
The secret that I hide
Will I grow old
How will they hear
When will they learn
How will they know?

The fact that it's about child abuse and its re-interpretation and update in the context of the Africa AIDS crisis in the 2006 Confessions Tour was also genius on her part but unfortunately the controversy of the crucifixion got in the way of the message.