Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robster

Patrick Leonard on the creation of "Live To Tell"

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, acko said:

I had that same experience when I first heard Girl Gone Wild.

:dead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acko said:

I had that same experience when I first heard Girl Gone Wild.

:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We laugh but at the same time it's sad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes the world go round are probably worse than GGW.  And Falling Free is very, very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pedro said:

I was 17 so you can imagine how that music made me feel, I know that you can deeply enjoy and love Madonna at any age, but being immerse by her during your teen years is an out of this world experience. 

Totally. I was a teen from 1992 - 1999. Unfortunately, the ONLY studio album she released during my high school years was BS! There's such a sadness and longing to that album that I identified with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rocknrolla said:

To be fair, Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes the world go round are probably worse than GGW.  And Falling Free is very, very good.

Not really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

Not really. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, vocalism said:

Totally. I was a teen from 1992 - 1999. Unfortunately, the ONLY studio album she released during my high school years was BS! There's such a sadness and longing to that album that I identified with. 

❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lolo said:

I absolutely agree with the notion that Live To Tell is her first big reinvention. Her look and sound changed dramatically and it really was a big blow for the wannabes. BUT by then people were already under her spell. Power of Madonna. It's easy judging from retrospect, but seriously it just could not go wrong! She was just to mesmerizing. 

I always considered this picture from that time to be a message to her wannabe fans.' I changed my mind, Good luck'. 

37181_438692698719_535983719_5165377_581

(Yes I know it's a Marlene homage, but still...)

I was a "wannabee"  and had the whole Madonna look going.   Jewerely, lace gloves, ribbons etc - Madonna had young girls copying her religiously.  When I first saw the video for Live to tell on Countdown,  I thought she looked incredibly beautiful.  The wavy blonde vintage hair and the perfect face.   It was a real "Wow"  moment.  What was great about Madonna was she was so interesting, beautiful and talented, that she took all of her young fans with her .   The song Live to tell is the most haunting, unusual ballad imaginable and was acclaimed by everyone.  She backed up the image changes with magnificent music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I was a "wannabee"  and had the whole Madonna look going.   Jewerely, lace gloves, ribbons etc - Madonna had young girls copying her religiously.  When I first saw the video for Live to tell on Countdown,  I thought she looked incredibly beautiful.  The wavy blonde vintage hair and the perfect face.   It was a real "Wow"  moment.  What was great about Madonna was she was so interesting, beautiful and talented, that she took all of her young fans with her .   The song Live to tell is the most haunting, unusual ballad imaginable and was acclaimed by everyone.  She backed up the image changes with magnificent music. 

I was to young at that time but I can imagine that the 'new look' probably ignited the passion even stronger, because the new image just added more layers to her. She was sexy, bold, smart and seductive, then showed she was also a very classic beauty with some mysterious aura and depth, a touch of vulnerability. Was there anyone going 'nah, without the lace and bracelets, that's not for me, bye'? I just can't see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets be honest. Live To Tell is among the best ballads ever recorded. She was coming off a huge success with LAV. She looked like a 40ties hollywood star in the video. No chance this could have backfired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the first time I hear Live to Tell, a few years after it was released (I was too young to be aware of it back then), I recognized the instrumental part not even knowing it was Madonna's song

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, acko said:

I had that same experience when I first heard Girl Gone Wild.

#MeToo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

To be fair, Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes the world go round are probably worse than GGW.  And Falling Free is very, very good.

Not.

Please let's not take away from it the only thing GGW achieved , let's not rewrite history. It's the worst Madonna song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Not.

Please let's not take away from it the only thing GGW achieved , let's not rewrite history. It's the worst Madonna song. 

Not when American Disgrace exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Orion said:

Not when American Disgrace exists.

:madno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

:madno:

Lol...Is that all you can do is shake your head “no”? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

:madno:

:tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Orion said:

Not when American Disgrace exists.

:lol: I am glad I am not the only person who hates that song (minus the brilliant Felix Da Housecat remix).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madonna with live to tell said i'm a serious singer , with the rest of the singles from the True Blue album cimented herself as the artist of the 80s along with MJ of course .Ah the times.. Everybody loved her ,she was untouchable..!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Orion said:

Not when American Disgrace exists.

No.

Girl Gone Wild is the worst song by Madonna. Or by anyone. Ever.  It's like  shit exploding right into your face. I don't even consider "IT" to be a Madonna track since she changed so little from the demo. 

How come a thread about the magnificient Live to tell took a bad left turn to Girl gone wild ??

ACKO you rascal !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Aries said:

Lol...Is that all you can do is shake your head “no”? 

 

D4565B2A-1081-4526-840A-E78553BC21F9.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, acko said:

I had that same experience when I first heard Girl Gone Wild.

:lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pedro said:

 

D4565B2A-1081-4526-840A-E78553BC21F9.gif

:lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Girl Gone Wild is a fucking bop!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×