MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robster

Patrick Leonard on the creation of "Live To Tell"

1 minute ago, acko said:

I had that same experience when I first heard Girl Gone Wild.

:dead:

1 hour ago, acko said:

:biggrin:

We laugh but at the same time it's sad.

To be fair, Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes the world go round are probably worse than GGW.  And Falling Free is very, very good.

16 hours ago, Pedro said:

I was 17 so you can imagine how that music made me feel, I know that you can deeply enjoy and love Madonna at any age, but being immerse by her during your teen years is an out of this world experience. 

Totally. I was a teen from 1992 - 1999. Unfortunately, the ONLY studio album she released during my high school years was BS! There's such a sadness and longing to that album that I identified with. 

1 hour ago, rocknrolla said:

To be fair, Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes the world go round are probably worse than GGW.  And Falling Free is very, very good.

Not really. 

5 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

Not really. 

+1

53 minutes ago, vocalism said:

Totally. I was a teen from 1992 - 1999. Unfortunately, the ONLY studio album she released during my high school years was BS! There's such a sadness and longing to that album that I identified with. 

❤️❤️❤️

20 hours ago, Lolo said:

I absolutely agree with the notion that Live To Tell is her first big reinvention. Her look and sound changed dramatically and it really was a big blow for the wannabes. BUT by then people were already under her spell. Power of Madonna. It's easy judging from retrospect, but seriously it just could not go wrong! She was just to mesmerizing. 

I always considered this picture from that time to be a message to her wannabe fans.' I changed my mind, Good luck'. 

37181_438692698719_535983719_5165377_581

(Yes I know it's a Marlene homage, but still...)

I was a "wannabee"  and had the whole Madonna look going.   Jewerely, lace gloves, ribbons etc - Madonna had young girls copying her religiously.  When I first saw the video for Live to tell on Countdown,  I thought she looked incredibly beautiful.  The wavy blonde vintage hair and the perfect face.   It was a real "Wow"  moment.  What was great about Madonna was she was so interesting, beautiful and talented, that she took all of her young fans with her .   The song Live to tell is the most haunting, unusual ballad imaginable and was acclaimed by everyone.  She backed up the image changes with magnificent music. 

15 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I was a "wannabee"  and had the whole Madonna look going.   Jewerely, lace gloves, ribbons etc - Madonna had young girls copying her religiously.  When I first saw the video for Live to tell on Countdown,  I thought she looked incredibly beautiful.  The wavy blonde vintage hair and the perfect face.   It was a real "Wow"  moment.  What was great about Madonna was she was so interesting, beautiful and talented, that she took all of her young fans with her .   The song Live to tell is the most haunting, unusual ballad imaginable and was acclaimed by everyone.  She backed up the image changes with magnificent music. 

I was to young at that time but I can imagine that the 'new look' probably ignited the passion even stronger, because the new image just added more layers to her. She was sexy, bold, smart and seductive, then showed she was also a very classic beauty with some mysterious aura and depth, a touch of vulnerability. Was there anyone going 'nah, without the lace and bracelets, that's not for me, bye'? I just can't see it. 

Lets be honest. Live To Tell is among the best ballads ever recorded. She was coming off a huge success with LAV. She looked like a 40ties hollywood star in the video. No chance this could have backfired.

I remember the first time I hear Live to Tell, a few years after it was released (I was too young to be aware of it back then), I recognized the instrumental part not even knowing it was Madonna's song

8 hours ago, acko said:

#MeToo

5 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

Not.

Please let's not take away from it the only thing GGW achieved , let's not rewrite history. It's the worst Madonna song. 

10 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Not.

Please let's not take away from it the only thing GGW achieved , let's not rewrite history. It's the worst Madonna song. 

Not when American Disgrace exists.

12 minutes ago, Orion said:

:madno:

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Lol...Is that all you can do is shake your head “no”? 

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

:tongue:

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

:lol: I am glad I am not the only person who hates that song (minus the brilliant Felix Da Housecat remix).

Madonna with live to tell said i'm a serious singer , with the rest of the singles from the True Blue album cimented herself as the artist of the 80s along with MJ of course .Ah the times.. Everybody loved her ,she was untouchable..!

47 minutes ago, Orion said:

No.

Girl Gone Wild is the worst song by Madonna. Or by anyone. Ever.  It's like  shit exploding right into your face. I don't even consider "IT" to be a Madonna track since she changed so little from the demo. 

How come a thread about the magnificient Live to tell took a bad left turn to Girl gone wild ??

ACKO you rascal !

55 minutes ago, Aries said:

Lol...Is that all you can do is shake your head “no”? 

D4565B2A-1081-4526-840A-E78553BC21F9.gif

10 hours ago, acko said:

:lmao:

33 minutes ago, Pedro said:

D4565B2A-1081-4526-840A-E78553BC21F9.gif

:lmao:

Girl Gone Wild is a fucking bop!!!