MadonnaNation.com Forums
Aries

WTF...now the demise of CDs?

I’m surprised when I see chart CDs in supermarkets still.......even my parents don’t buy them or even have CD players anymore.

The last one I bought was Rebel Heart Super Deluxe - never played it, but bought it for the packaging (which was pretty underwhelming, better off with just the vinyl). Not sure I’ll buy another unless it packaged beautifully.

4 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

I’m surprised when I see chart CDs in supermarkets still.......even my parents don’t buy them or even have CD players anymore.

The last one I bought was Rebel Heart Super Deluxe - never played it, but bought it for the packaging (which was pretty underwhelming, better off with just the vinyl). Not sure I’ll buy another unless it packaged beautifully.

RH super deluxe was the last cd I purchased too.

Packaging was pretty ok to me. I assume it looked better on vinyl.

You go to Best Buys nowadays and it’s usually just one or two racks for their entire CD department! You’ll be lucky to find one Madonna CD in there.

😢

The times keep on changing. I was thinking — in one of the other threads (ask/answer a question), people are talking about CD sections in stores, and whether they stock Madonna CDs. I have noticed, as the space in stores dedicated to CDs/DVDs decreases (to the point of disappearing), Madonna is often missing. I’ll check to see if she is there — sometimes they have a placeholder/name card for her, but many times there is nothing there. I think I occasionally have seen one lonely copy of the single-disc edition of Celebration or maybe a copy of the Immaculate Collection if you’re lucky. I was surprised that Target carried copies of RHT around Christmas! (Because I hadn’t been able to buy physical copies of the MDNA Tour in store.) RH was possible to find, but not all editions. Best Buy was the only place I found the super deluxe physically, so that is a shame they are eliminating CDs.

A friend of mine who used to work for Apple was saying he didn’t see iTunes lasting much longer — how there was more money in the streaming model. I had read that in here (iTunes phasing out) but was hoping that was just conjecture. I’ll be sad to see iTunes go — it’s not great, but I don’t like the idea of not really “having” music in my collection/library. You wake up one day and an artist is mad at whoever, so they pull their catalogue from a platform and you have nothing to listen to from that artist anymore.

Furthermore, Amazon is kind of alarming me ... I wanted to buy a copy of the 2-CD Celebration ... no new copies from Amazon. (Can buy used & new, which always seems sketchier to me.) And now they get picky about what they’ll ship to you. I wanted to buy a copy of To Wong Foo for a friend who’s never seen it. They made me order a certain amount in order to ship it! (I’d have been willing to pay the shipping if they’d have given me the option. But no, you have to spend more to make it worth their shipping costs. I imagine there will be more and more of that — and eventually, it will be harder and more expensive to get anything physically.)