MadonnaNation.com Forums
Aries

WTF...now the demise of CDs?

Not bothered much about the demise of CDs to be honest. I stream all my music on Spotify now and I have boxes and boxes full of Madonna CDs and box of other artists CDs taking up space in my house.

I want my cds, even if I listen to them only once.by the way, what is amazon doing now? are they making disappear their  music cloud?

ok, so if music cds disappear, well, they become a colector´s thing, and the digital music can be bought in a few years because they are closing the stores...most of the industry would be streaming related, right? so basically spotify has finished with the bought music´s industry, and they will control most of it in a couple of years? and all of it when we hear everyday that they haven´t earned a euro since tit was created????? something sounds really fishy here

I just ordered a cd off Amazon. Should be here today. Streaming is cute and all but I like to own my music and have an actual copy. Also prefer ripping straight from the cd for best quality.

I feel as though this whole “end of CDs” thing is being forced upon us.

I’ve seen social media meme posts such as “things I no longer have in my house”, CDs and DVDs being one of them, and all the comments were people declaring they still have all their CDs and DVDs.

I don’t know anyone who is CD free.

14 hours ago, Barbie said:

I just ordered a cd off Amazon. Should be here today. Streaming is cute and all but I like to own my music and have an actual copy. Also prefer ripping straight from the cd for best quality.

I dislike how many CDs now are sort of produced on demand. I ordered a soundtrack album (for a gift for Christmas) from Amazon in late November, and they told me I’d have it in about a week. It kept getting delayed and delayed, and I barely got it a day or two before Christmas (when I’d already mailed gifts to my friends). I purchased a copy for myself, and you can tell it was created on demand - just the quality of the printing and the bar codes on the disc and the trimming on the CD booklet ... Just like the W./E. soundtrack. Made me sad.

5 hours ago, tasteinmen said:

I feel as though this whole “end of CDs” thing is being forced upon us.

I’ve seen social media meme posts such as “things I no longer have in my house”, CDs and DVDs being one of them, and all the comments were people declaring they still have all their CDs and DVDs.

I don’t know anyone who is CD free.

They might be sorry they got rid of it all when the days come that the powers-that-be decide you can no longer “own” someone else’s creative output, you can only stream or rent or whatever, and you have to pay to access it. And when the data storage becomes too cumbersome, and the thing you want to see or hear just isn’t worth taking up precious server space.  Maybe I’m paranoid, but I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch.

what about this generation? do they own cds and dvds?

i order only Madonna cd's from amazon. all the maxi's i never had as a kid. i'm waiting on like 12 cds! LMAO

On 5/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, promise to try said:

ok, so if music cds disappear, well, they become a colector´s thing, and the digital music can be bought in a few years because they are closing the stores...most of the industry would be streaming related, right? so basically spotify has finished with the bought music´s industry, and they will control most of it in a couple of years? and all of it when we hear everyday that they haven´t earned a euro since tit was created????? something sounds really fishy here

Well, it video games case it is already happening that those who were not sold in physical format but only downloaded, can be turned off and disappear from servers once the company feels they are no longer profitable. So it could happen in the future with tv series, for example. Everything that is expensive to store... Or maybe not, maybe in the future you can store one Terabyte and it is as if it were nothing? Things change so fast. 

Or can maybe happen that in 30 years cd players are no longer sold and we can no longer listen to our old cds? What will happen with our dvd collection once dvds or blurays are no longer made? Turntables are being made because hipsters and such created a demand, but if there is no demand of cd players anymore? I was shocked a couple of weeks ago when almost 10 people surrounding me at work had their old DVD player stored "somewhere", they don't use it anymore. I thought people still put on dvds but it turns out many people, during these past years of illegal downloading no longer were playing original dvds and couldn't give a damn about that player. 

There are always going to be people who actually care about sound quality and picture quality, so even if it becomes a niche market (like 4k bluray is at the moment for example) physical media will never disappear completely imo. 

6 hours ago, karbatal said:

Well, it video games case it is already happening that those who were not sold in physical format but only downloaded, can be turned off and disappear from servers once the company feels they are no longer profitable. So it could happen in the future with tv series, for example. Everything that is expensive to store... Or maybe not, maybe in the future you can store one Terabyte and it is as if it were nothing? Things change so fast. 

Or can maybe happen that in 30 years cd players are no longer sold and we can no longer listen to our old cds? What will happen with our dvd collection once dvds or blurays are no longer made? Turntables are being made because hipsters and such created a demand, but if there is no demand of cd players anymore? I was shocked a couple of weeks ago when almost 10 people surrounding me at work had their old DVD player stored "somewhere", they don't use it anymore. I thought people still put on dvds but it turns out many people, during these past years of illegal downloading no longer were playing original dvds and couldn't give a damn about that player. 

Server space won't really matter. Things keep getting bigger and easier to store. The real issue will likely be licensing. I've been gradually shifting from CDs to streaming (I basically skipped digital - I've never purchased a damn thing from iTunes, etc.), but my one concern about getting rid of my physical music is that one day certain songs or albums will no longer be available because a record label or artist couldn't agree on the terms. Stuff comes and goes on Netflix all the time, and I've already seen music I listen to on Spotify suddenly vanish.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:45 AM, Barbie said:

Streaming is cute and all but I like to own my music and have an actual copy. Also prefer ripping straight from the cd for best quality.

Pretty much same for me.

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Pretty much same for me.

we're fancy sis. these other girls can't relate! :madgemanson:

17 hours ago, Kim said:

There are always going to be people who actually care about sound quality and picture quality, so even if it becomes a niche market (like 4k bluray is at the moment for example) physical media will never disappear completely imo. 

:clap:

I really hope so. Can’t live in a world without CDs!

11 hours ago, Barbie said:

we're fancy sis. these other girls can't relate! :madgemanson:

:inlove::clap:

On 4/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, vocalism said:

Server space won't really matter. Things keep getting bigger and easier to store. The real issue will likely be licensing. I've been gradually shifting from CDs to streaming (I basically skipped digital - I've never purchased a damn thing from iTunes, etc.), but my one concern about getting rid of my physical music is that one day certain songs or albums will no longer be available because a record label or artist couldn't agree on the terms. Stuff comes and goes on Netflix all the time, and I've already seen music I listen to on Spotify suddenly vanish.

This already happens regularly on Spotify.  In my case right now, there is nothing by Peter Gabriel, no self-titled debut from Rickie Lee Jones, and no Havoc and Bright Lights by Alanis Morissette.  Plus many greatest hits compilations are missing certain tracks due to licensing issues.

I love my Spotify subscription and use it daily, but I don't understand why so many people who switch to streaming feel like they JUST HAVE TO unload their physical collections.  

49 minutes ago, Shane said:

This already happens regularly on Spotify.  In my case right now, there is nothing by Peter Gabriel, no self-titled debut from Rickie Lee Jones, And no Havoc and Bright Lights by Alamos Morissette.  Plus many greatest hits compilations are missing certain tracks due to licensing issues.

I love my Spotify subscription and use it daily, but I don't understand why so many people who switch to streaming feel like they JUST HAVE TO unload their physical collections.  

I'm getting rid of a lot, but keeping rarities and obviously my M collection.

Can someone tell my why you still want CDs? I really don't get people flipping out over this. 

I had so many CD's stolen from my car years back.    I kept a lot of CD's in a huge case that I carried with me to listen to if I wanted to.   Some lowlife smashed my car window,  took the case and my blood still boils over losing them.  I could not replace a lot of them as they are out of print,  included old various hits as well and they have never become available again digitally.  

6 hours ago, ULIZOS said:

Can someone tell my why you still want CDs? I really don't get people flipping out over this. 

In my option...a cd is at least something to show for my money spent...liner notes, cover etc...as opposed to just something downloaded from the air

11 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I had so many CD's stolen from my car years back.    I kept a lot of CD's in a huge case that I carried with me to listen to if I wanted to.   Some lowlife smashed my car window,  took the case and my blood still boils over losing them.  I could not replace a lot of them as they are out of print,  included old various hits as well and they have never become available again digitally.  

Omg that’s the worst nightmare!!

Some cds are so hard to find!!

12 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Omg that’s the worst nightmare!!

Some cds are so hard to find!!

I was devastated.  On top of that,  I had to put up with quite a lot of people telling me it was my fault for leaving them in the car on the back seat in a closed cd folder case.   Apparently I was tempting  poor desperate drug addicts to smash the window of my locked car ( that I left outside my workplace on street for 30 minutes as work carpark was full )  to get them.  Saying that they would probably get $20 or so for them which shows how desperate they were.  Meanwhile,  they were so special to me and can't be replaced.  After all these years,  I still am heart broken about it.   

Sorry,  I still get so angry thinking of getting told off for getting my car smashed into and stuff stolen from it.   People just won't blame the people that steal but always the victims of the crime.  My Aunt had all of her sentimental jewellery and her late husband's watch stolen from her home when they broke in and again people lectured HER for not having modern enough security on her home.   :banghead:

50 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I was devastated.  On top of that,  I had to put up with quite a lot of people telling me it was my fault for leaving them in the car on the back seat in a closed cd folder case.   Apparently I was tempting  poor desperate drug addicts to smash the window of my locked car ( that I left outside my workplace on street for 30 minutes as work carpark was full )  to get them.  Saying that they would probably get $20 or so for them which shows how desperate they were.  Meanwhile,  they were so special to me and can't be replaced.  After all these years,  I still am heart broken about it.   

Sorry,  I still get so angry thinking of getting told off for getting my car smashed into and stuff stolen from it.   People just won't blame the people that steal but always the victims of the crime.  My Aunt had all of her sentimental jewellery and her late husband's watch stolen from her home when they broke in and again people lectured HER for not having modern enough security on her home.   :banghead:

Yeah I’ve been there. Once both mirrors of my motorcycle were stolen and people told me, what do you expect parking on the street? It’s as if i was stupid or something. 

Some people have zero empathy!!! 

Is there any special one you couldn’t find??? Maybe some of us have it and doesn’t want it anymore!

9 hours ago, karbatal said:

Yeah I’ve been there. Once both mirrors of my motorcycle were stolen and people told me, what do you expect parking on the street? It’s as if i was stupid or something. 

Some people have zero empathy!!! 

Is there any special one you couldn’t find??? Maybe some of us have it and doesn’t want it anymore!

Thanks Karbatal. 

Some of the CD's were so daggy and kind of unusual so would not even be around anymore.  I had a CD of famous Australian sporting themes done by the original singers that brought back memories and compilations of 50's and 60's easy listening music with versions of songs that I can't even remember who was singing them.  There was this magnificent version of "Tonight"  from West side story sung by a guy that sent chills down my spine it was so good.  I now can't even remember his name, just often played the song. Have searched for it everywhere but can't even see it on line.  There was this cheesy but great version of "everlasting love"  sung as a duet that I just personally loved that is nowhere to be found either.  Australian rare singers like Christie Allen on old compilation cds.   Plus stacks of classical music and a great Donna Summer Cd that had this rare mixes of her songs on it.   They were the CD's that I was so upset about losing, not the popular ones that still are available.   I even had Madonna ones in the folder but I quickly replaced them with the same versions from the record stores.  All of my Abba, George Michael, Prince cd's were taken too but I could replace them as well. 

I replaced a lot of the songs I lost but some are just not out there anymore.  Why I stress to everyone to keep your CD's safe - especially the ones that are not popular but have a special place in your own heart. 

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Thanks Karbatal. 

Some of the CD's were so daggy and kind of unusual so would not even be around anymore.  I had a CD of famous Australian sporting themes done by the original singers that brought back memories and compilations of 50's and 60's easy listening music with versions of songs that I can't even remember who was singing them.  There was this magnificent version of "Tonight"  from West side story sung by a guy that sent chills down my spine it was so good.  I now can't even remember his name, just often played the song. Have searched for it everywhere but can't even see it on line.  There was this cheesy but great version of "everlasting love"  sung as a duet that I just personally loved that is nowhere to be found either.  Australian rare singers like Christie Allen on old compilation cds.   Plus stacks of classical music and a great Donna Summer Cd that had this rare mixes of her songs on it.   They were the CD's that I was so upset about losing, not the popular ones that still are available.   I even had Madonna ones in the folder but I quickly replaced them with the same versions from the record stores.  All of my Abba, George Michael, Prince cd's were taken too but I could replace them as well. 

I replaced a lot of the songs I lost but some are just not out there anymore.  Why I stress to everyone to keep your CD's safe - especially the ones that are not popular but have a special place in your own heart. 

Oh yeah we have to take good care. 

Besides, some artists are not being in catalogue anymore. I have noticed that old cds are getting more and more expensive in Amazon. I have a live cd by Eddi Reader, precisely from an Australian tour and it’s suddenly so pricey! Like 90 euro! 

Just now, karbatal said:

Oh yeah we have to take good care. 

Besides, some artists are not being in catalogue anymore. I have noticed that old cds are getting more and more expensive in Amazon. I have a live cd by Eddi Reader, precisely from an Australian tour and it’s suddenly so pricey! Like 90 euro! 

some cds, like prince´s " non warner" years, are getting quite expensive, although I guess once his passing is not recent they will become more normal

On 4/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, ULIZOS said:

No longer having immediate tactile access to media is a freaky thing. Like the scenario to no longer own a book.

I don't think the young people today have any need to "own" a CD. Everything is running so fast, the music itself has become very hyper-bland. 

I still buy CDs of artists I like, I love the smell of freshly pressed booklet etc. I guess it's something only someone born before the 90s can enjoy. 

MP3s and streaming are fine, but that doesn't seem to hold any nostalgy value. I miss those days when we had lots of teen music mags like Bravo, Popcorn... they shaped the music world for young people. Now it's all about catching the crotch, vulgarity, music that requires one button on the piano to play, terrible singing, lyrics that make no sense... no wonder they don't want to produce any plastic CDs for it as it all will fade away like the smell of a fart...

Erasing CDs from existence is rather pointless, it's an art in itself. MP3s, especially in countires like Poland are still rather expensive, sometimes an mp3 album costs more than the CD equivalent, and shouldn't they be cheaper?

I would def purchase vinyl for future albums that I like but they’re a little more Expensive. I can never get myself to buy digital downloads because I rather save my money and just stream.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:10 PM, promise to try said:

some cds, like prince´s " non warner" years, are getting quite expensive, although I guess once his passing is not recent they will become more normal

I can't find my copy of Gold Experience, and now it sell rather high so it's not like I can replace it.