MadonnaNation.com Forums
Aries

WTF...now the demise of CDs?

well target does have a point. but i really hope cds dont disappear forever.

Well the Best Buy's here already removed their remaining aisles. It's one bin with all the $5 CD's there and one single stand with the new/current releases.

I think this is more the equivalent of bookstores closing en masse. And books are still doing fine.

On 27/02/2018 at 8:43 PM, Suedehead said:

CDs arent going anywhere

Unfortunately, I can see them vanish from our lifes in the future. The new notebooks don't even have the CD drive anymore :wacko:.

I know. I bought a separate CD drive for my MacBook Pro :lmao::dead:  

Stream is coming

Stream has environment at its side too.  

For me it's much more sad the demise of newspapers and magazines. It's impossible to explain issues in deep in online media. 

Anyway,  these are our times. Better get used to it. 

I don't see CDs going completely extinct. I think there will be a smaller production line put out for the niche market for collectors in the vein of vinyl, other formats, etc.

Oh henny I'm all about streaming. I've got Spotify paid version. But I love my CDs. And vinyl. But not tape (never tape). 

Cassette tapes are apparently making a comeback, though, which is DUMB.

(mix tapes were fun to make, however, not gonna lie...)

Yes, Cassettes are definitely making a comeback. God knows why when it was the worst format out of the lot. I lost count how many tapes I thrown out after getting chewed up and mangled. I still buy CD's and can't ever imagine not buying them.

My man has such an OLD car that we have a cassette player there :lol: I will buy Kilo's cassette just for the sake of playing it in the car. I hope Madonna releases her new album in Cassette too! I want bundles and super different thingies. 

Why not try minidiscs again...they are even more compact than a cassette and you can record on them...and are like a cd quality wise

Minidiscs never really took off properly did they 

16 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

They really didn't. 

15 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

unfortunately no...I do have about 50 or so...mostly Sony released...I did manage to get TIC, ROL & Music though

use to travel to Disney World a lot and had to shop at the Virgin Store....they had everything

I think they were more popular in Japan!

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

I think they were more popular in Japan!

The Japanese are very forward minded about technology. 

Must admit I never really got into minidiscs either but I was certainly intrigued. 

I really hope the CD format does not get discontinued because apart from getting things on like FLAC or whatever which is like huge data quantities I don't think anything else has quite the same nice sound quality as CDs (and correct me if I'm wrong). 

I'd much rather pay 1p + shipping for a catalogue item on Amazon market place on CD and then decide if I want to keep the CD or not after ripping the mp3s on an album I really want than just stream it or even worse spending a tenner on mp3s or iTunes (DIE ITUNES DIE) 

18 hours ago, Suedehead said:

I'd much rather pay 1p + shipping for a catalogue item on Amazon market place on CD and then decide if I want to keep the CD or not after ripping the mp3s on an album I really want than just stream it or even worse spending a tenner on mp3s or iTunes (DIE ITUNES DIE) 

Right! I agree — so sad that now, a lot of CDs I buy through Amazon are produced on demand ... the printed booklets never seem quite as nice as mass-produced albums, or the CDs of yesteryear. At least it’s nice when they throw in “AutoRip” and you immediately have the mp3s to listen to while you wait for the CD to arrive.

Last weekend, I was finally ripping some old Madonna maxi-CD singles to mp3 and adding them to my iPod. I did the two-track CD single of “Music” to get “Cyberraga” ... and so “Music” was ripped with it. I ripped it at the highest bit rate I could ... and maybe it was my imagination, but ... “Music” really sounded better than the Celebration mp3 I had — which was the iTunes version because I wanted “It’s So Cool” from the super deluxe version. (I have the 1 CD, 2 CD, vinyl ... but the mp3 in my iPod is from iTunes...) I don’t know, I just felt like I was hearing more from the higher bitrate. Makes me miss listening to my CDs more — I can’t listen to them as often anymore, because there are fewer players out there. 

Yes, the “demise of the CD” makes me sad. Hope it does not fully come to pass...

What about DCC (Digital Compact Cassette)? :1251: 

2 hours ago, horn said:

What about DCC (Digital Compact Cassette)? :1251: 

'Oh.'

:lol:

and what about DAT (Digital Audio Tape)

5 hours ago, mamifero said:

:lol:

and what about DAT (Digital Audio Tape)

I work with a recording engineer who still uses DATs. The CD he generates for me is the second generation — and then I have to create mp3s (third generation) to upload to the internet. He is extra old school, though. He’s been in that position for 40+ years.

oh dear, were there really so many things back then? DAT and all that mess? 

I got enought back then with the transtition from vinyl to cd! It was a CATASTROPHE for me! Because I got very, very little money as a pre-teen and teen (I don't have grandparents, my relatives live far away...) so I had to save so much just to buy a vinyl, which was at the time like 6-7 euro (1.000-1.200  pesetas) in Spain. Suddenlly cds came and they were soooo fucking expensive. Like 15 euro ! (2.500 pesetas) and I was like WTF???? So I tried to hold as much as I could. In fact, I bought TIC in Cd much later and my first real Madonna cd was Erotica.!!!!

I know — all the different formats have made it challenging over the years. I didn’t have a CD player until mid-1996 ... my first Madonna CD was the (released-too-late) Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina maxi-CD single with the Miami mixes — and I couldn’t listen to it for another six months. (A good friend in school took pity on me and dubbed it onto a casette tape for me so I could listen to it.) 

Then I got the Evita soundtrack on CD (which I already had on tape) and also got TIC and I’m Breathless on CD. (I had I’m Breathless on tape.) It took me a couple more years to get all the back catalogue on CD — it was probably 1998 before I was caught up. 

1 hour ago, peter said:

I know — all the different formats have made it challenging over the years. I didn’t have a CD player until mid-1996 ... my first Madonna CD was the (released-too-late) Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina maxi-CD single with the Miami mixes — and I couldn’t listen to it for another six months. (A good friend in school took pity on me and dubbed it onto a casette tape for me so I could listen to it.) 

Then I got the Evita soundtrack on CD (which I already had on tape) and also got TIC and I’m Breathless on CD. (I had I’m Breathless on tape.) It took me a couple more years to get all the back catalogue on CD — it was probably 1998 before I was caught up. 

Oh, those times with no cd player :lol:

I was studying in Madrid when Bedtime Stories was released. I had a walkman, but no cd lpayer in my rented room, so I went to the record shop the day it was released, bought the cd and had to wait TWO FUCKING WEEKS until I could listen to the album. When I finally could go home and listen to it for the very first time I already knew the lyrics by heart! I have been reading the booklet all those days, enjoying the texts so much. I  think that's why I love those songs so much. 

When ROL was released I was still studying, spending a year in GErmany but thankfully a German boy was a Madonna fan too and the very same day it was released I could rush to his home to tape it into a casette.