MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vocalism

Massive Attack's "Teardrop"

14 hours ago, Showdown said:

Yes and no...we also have to remember her kids are older and have their own personality and are the ones exposing M to music so in a sense it makes sense she would hook up with diplo but at the same time she had no real connection with someone like him so i guess in that sense its not organic. Avicii felt very meh. Glad he got pushed to the side. What would you say is the key to work oragnically? Who would you suggest?

Well, I mostly mean that the way the primary collaborations happened felt more organic and instinctive. She started working with Pat after he was the musical director on the Virgin Tour. She started working with Shep after he remixed her singles for several years and got to know him personally. She started working with Orbit after he remixed a few songs. She started working with Stuart after he worked on her tours like Pat. There are, of course, exceptions. She worked with Nellee because she liked his work with Bjork and Soul II Soul and Massive Attack. And then there's the other BS producers and David Foster. But that 1994-1995 period when she was very charts-oriented was the exception. 

So maybe it's a taste thing too. I do think you're right that the way she's exposed to music now is different. And it doesn't help that music today is pretty terrible. But you would think that would inspire her to dig a little deeper. I just liked it when she discovered talent or used producers that were unique to her. 

2 hours ago, vocalism said:

Well, I mostly mean that the way the primary collaborations happened felt more organic and instinctive. She started working with Pat after he was the musical director on the Virgin Tour. She started working with Shep after he remixed her singles for several years and got to know him personally. She started working with Orbit after he remixed a few songs. She started working with Stuart after he worked on her tours like Pat. There are, of course, exceptions. She worked with Nellee because she liked his work with Bjork and Soul II Soul and Massive Attack. And then there's the other BS producers and David Foster. But that 1994-1995 period when she was very charts-oriented was the exception. 

So maybe it's a taste thing too. I do think you're right that the way she's exposed to music now is different. And it doesn't help that music today is pretty terrible. But you would think that would inspire her to dig a little deeper. I just liked it when she discovered talent or used producers that were unique to her. 

Yeah know what you mean, although i love Diplo. Its very telling though how their work is VERY madonna. I think regardless who she works with it'll end up more madonna than them. She definately did not create a Butters Theme or Freak Like Me with Diplo. A part of me also thinks its harder to work with someone who isnt well known because she does not have a good rep right now and there is a huge snobbery against her.

9 hours ago, Showdown said:

Yeah know what you mean, although i love Diplo. Its very telling though how their work is VERY madonna. I think regardless who she works with it'll end up more madonna than them. She definately did not create a Butters Theme or Freak Like Me with Diplo. A part of me also thinks its harder to work with someone who isnt well known because she does not have a good rep right now and there is a huge snobbery against her.

Whats wrong with her rep? Why all of a sudden is everyone acting like her career is in the shitter?

11 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Whats wrong with her rep? Why all of a sudden is everyone acting like her career is in the shitter?

Her rep right now is that she's not cool, that shes Flopdonna etc. We as fans dont see it like that but the internet is in full swing right now against her. Its unfair but thats how it is right now.

You only see what your eyes want to see....... 

Madonna 14's title is confirmed

ORGANICA COHESIVA 

17 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

ORGANICA COHESIVA 

:dead:

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

ORGANICA COHESIVA 

tumblr_oxn8bkD9gW1qls92lo1_500.gif

I love teardrop as it is and is their most popular song but as a big fan of them I got to agree that especially on mezzanine there's tracks far superior imo,the story I've read about the poential collab comes from pitchfork's review of mezzanine 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22703-mezzanine/

Screenshot_20180213-020418.png

26 minutes ago, kallidonna said:

I love teardrop as it is and is their most popular song but as a big fan of them I got to agree that especially on mezzanine there's tracks far superior imo,the story I've read about the poential collab comes from pitchfork's review of mezzanine 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22703-mezzanine/

Screenshot_20180213-020418.png

There's nothing new here. Let's not link to Pitchfork and make those miserable straight white men anymore money from clicks. 

Lol true 😂  they only state that the demo was sent by Andrew but again I doubt they're certain about it

On 2/8/2018 at 5:55 AM, Martin B. said:

I'm happy things ended that way. The song is perfect in its current form. 

However, I would have liked other collaborations between Massive Attack and Madonna. IWY is fabulous.

I am not one who prefers covers to originals 9 X out of Ten—even with M. — but their I Want You is amazing and tops Marvin's for me. She sings the fuck out of it and brings out the heartache more than Marvin did, to me anyway. 

7 hours ago, Mozo1 said:

I am not one who prefers covers to originals 9 X out of Ten—even with M. — but their I Want You is amazing and tops Marvin's for me. She sings the fuck out of it and brings out the heartache more than Marvin did, to me anyway. 

Flawless. Definitely one of the all-time best.