MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ugly Hecty

Madonna listed as one of Marie Claire's most inspirational women

To celebrate 100 years since (some) women got the vote in Britain, Marie Claire has compiled a list of the 100 most inspirational women from the last century. From Emmeline Pankhurst to Pink, these are the women who have challenged, shaped and smashed the status quo.

Marie Claire’s 100 most inspirational women

1920s

Emmeline Pankhurst

Gertrude Ederle

Helen Keller

Bessie Coleman

Virginia Woolf

Josephine Baker

Mary Pickford

Marie Curie

Anna Freud

Joan Beauchamp Procter

1930s

Hattie McDaniel

Mary McLeod Bethune

Amelia Earhart

Elizabeth Cowell

Jane Addams

Eleanor Roosevelt

Shirley Temple

Lilian Wyles

Maria Montessori

Georgia O’Keeffe

1940s

Hedy Lamarr

Sophie Scholl

Vera Lynn

Naomi Parker Fraley

Noor Inayat Khan

Baroness Trumpington

Irena Sendler

Judy Garland

Gwendolyn Brooks

Eleanor Lambert

1950s

Marilyn Monroe

Bettie Page

Edith Summerskill

Rosalind Franklin

Queen Elizabeth II

Grace Lee Boggs

Ella Fitzgerald

Grace Kelly

Sheila Van Damm

Rose Heilbron QC

1960s

Yoko Ono

Rosa Parks

Helen Bamber

Indira Gandhi

Valentina Tereshkova

Dame Judi Dench

Barbra Streisand

Audrey Hepburn

Coretta Scott-King

Maya Angelou

1970s

Margaret Thatcher

Germaine Greer

Angela Davis

Jayaben Desai

Gloria Steinem

Kate Bush

Pam Grier

Gilda Radner

Katharine Graham

Cilla Black

1980s

Madonna

Why she inspires us: The Queen of Pop is also the queen of reinvention, best selling female recording artist of all time and responsible for bringing voguing to the mainstream.
What she taught us: ‘I’m tough, I’m ambitious and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.’

Julie Bindel

Oprah Winfrey

Wangaari Mathaai

Diane Abbott

Vigdis Finnbogadottir

Wendy Henry

Alison Bechdel

Jane Fonda

Martina Navratilova

1990s

Gwen Stefani

Benazir Bhutto

Princess Diana

Sinead O’Connor

Lil’ Kim

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Marilyn Vos Savant

The Spice Girls

Eve Ensler

Lisa Simpson

2000s

Pink

Beyoncé

Emma Watson

J.K. Rowling

Susan Solomon

Doreen Lawrence

Helena Morrissey

Kacey Ainsworth

Britney Spears

Finn Mackay

2010s

Malala Yousafzai

Laverne Cox

The Kardashians

Hillary Clinton

Meghan Markle

Michelle Obama

Serena Williams

Sheryl Sandberg

Jacinda Ardern

‘The Silence Breakers’

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/most-inspirational-women-575925

4 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

No Beyoncé or Gaga I see :queenbitch:

Look again. You can't escape Beyoncé, it's mandatory to mention her in everything. 

Lol!! 

You see our Queen does appear on lists 🙌🏼  

I get pretty much any woman on the list. I just don’t understand Gwen Stefani. Especially in the 90’s.. Wasn’t she still with No Doubt? I think Missy Elliot should have been included if Lil Kim is on the list. Always thought Missy Eliot was more influential than Lil Kim. 

36 minutes ago, Lolo said:

Look again. You can't escape Beyoncé, it's mandatory to mention her in everything. 

Jesus. I missed it. 

Typical.  

26 minutes ago, MeakMaker said:

I get pretty much any woman on the list. I just don’t understand Gwen Stefani. Especially in the 90’s.. Wasn’t she still with No Doubt? I think Missy Elliot should have been included if Lil Kim is on the list. Always thought Missy Eliot was more influential than Lil Kim. 

Probably because of her fronting a successful punk / ska band with her tom boyish IDAF attitude in the 90s.

8 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

Probably because of her fronting a successful punk / ska band with her tom boyish IDAF attitude in the 90s.

But I’m sure there were many more other female musicians to choose from. Lauryn Hill, Sheryl Crow, Celin Dion, TLC, Whitney Houston, Alanis Morisette, Aaliyah, Tori Amos, Ani DiFranco, Courtney Love,  Shirley Manson.. even Mariah Carey. I just don’t get what was so special about Gwen Stefani. Don’t get me wrong I like Gwen Stefani but I just don’t think she did anything better or more relevant than any of the female artists I mentioned. 

1 minute ago, MeakMaker said:

But I’m sure there were many more other female musicians to choose from. Lauryn Hill, Sheryl Crow, Celin Dion, TLC, Whitney Houston, Alanis Morisette, Aaliyah, Tori Amos, Ani DiFranco, Courtney Love,  Shirley Manson.. even Mariah Carey. I just don’t get what was so special about Gwen Stefani. Don’t get me wrong I like Gwen Stefani but I just don’t think she did anything better or more relevant than any of the female artists I mentioned. 

Well, when you name all of those other artists you definitely have a point. I've no clue what makes her stand out above the rest.

30 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

Well if they wanted to showcase a female lead singer in a band from the 90’s, I can introduce them to Shirley Manson. 

2 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Well if they wanted to showcase a female lead singer in a band from the 90’s, I can introduce them to Shirley Manson. 

We've already established Shirley Manson should be on that list just as much as Gwen. It's shocking she's not to be honest. Weren't Garbage huge in the US?

The only main WTF entry are the Kardashians, end of story. 

3 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Didn’t get them being on the list either. 

no moooriah , yassss

pink of course

7 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

It's Mari Claire.

It's totally fair they included M but OMFG, they also included Pink and Beyoncé while leaving out ultimate female musicians like Carole King and Joni Mitchell. Tsk tsk tsk.

10 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Same. Yuck.

11 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Not necessarily. Regardless of what you might think of the Kardashians no one can deny their influence and popularity shaping a new way to understand fame and celebrity culture. They basically have become poster children for reality tv. Whether that’s a good or bad thing is up for discussion but their relevance can’t be played down. 

They are a bunch of cunts that perpetuate all the stereotypes of the cunning women. They are in fact girls who were sold to rich men to creep out of their hole and get notoriety. And nowadays society is so bored and needs such a fast-gratificated scapism that swallows all the stupidities these bunch of people can do or say. If they have any kind of cultural impact it is always negative and we all would be better if their impact were erased from our brain forever. 

I mean, read this list 

1920s

Emmeline Pankhurst

Gertrude Ederle

Helen Keller

Bessie Coleman

Virginia Woolf

Josephine Baker

Mary Pickford

Marie Curie

Anna Freud

Joan Beauchamp Procter. 

Artists, people who beleived in their intelectuality and in their integrity. Ideas, effort, bravery. 

There are importante women out there nowadays bringing positive messages to the girl child, to the woman and to the society in general .The fact that the notoriety is nowadays occupied by the Kardashians explains why NOBODY knows the names of the really important people fighting, suffering, inspiring... Or with the potential to inspire. 

To sum it up

FUCK YOU MARIE CLAIRE 

There’s no uniform criteria to show up in their list, they went from women who changed the world (and might be cliche to name them, as there are many others that are not as easy to mention as Marie Curie but are as important) to women who have contributed nothing to humanity... 

But I guess that we have to be very very grateful that a popular magazine is mentioning Madonna in a “positive light”???

But wait do we agree with the caption that in by no way sums up what Madonna is and in top of everything still managed to use the word Bitch in it??? 

9 hours ago, karbatal said:

They are a bunch of cunts that perpetuate all the stereotypes of the cunning women. They are in fact girls who were sold to rich men to creep out of their hole and get notoriety. And nowadays society is so bored and needs such a fast-gratificated scapism that swallows all the stupidities these bunch of people can do or say. If they have any kind of cultural impact it is always negative and we all would be better if their impact were erased from our brain forever. 

Agree.  The Kardashian Girls offer nothing to society at all.  I don't dislike them as individuals but hate what they stand for -  obtaining fame with no effort or talent.  Nothing inspirational about that.  Another odd choice was Meghan Markle.  She seems a lovely girl but she has become famous for getting engaged to someone.  I find the elevation of fame for women who date or marry someone too evident in today's world. 

Overall, I liked this list though.  Some great choices.  I would have added Agatha Christie. Jane Goodall,  Margaret Atwood, Elizabeth Taylor, Dian Fossey and Diana Ross to this list. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Another odd choice was Meghan Markle.  She seems a lovely girl but she has become famous for getting engaged to someone.  I find the elevation of fame for women who date or marry someone too evident in today's world.

I agree that she herself hasn't achieved much, but I think she's there because she's mixed-race and she's marrying into the Royal Family, and she will probably assume the title HRH Princess Henry of Wales, which is a sign of the progress our society has made... So I guess she is carrying a part of that on her shoulders, making her inspirational in the mass media.

:queenbitch: