MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedy

In defence of Madonna's 'heavily edited' tour films...

On 14-2-2018 at 12:11 PM, promise to try said:

this. this would be the perefect solution for me.

That would b ridiculous and a PR nightmare. There r tons of 'real voice' clips on youtube from people's televised performances,

they only serve one goal: ridicule.

There's a reason why she does it: she sounds like shit.  Let's make no excuses here.

I find it sad that the singing, since Confessions, has become an afterthought.

#sorrynotsorry

To be fair she sounds good when she's singing the ballads (mostly) 

But yes most of the rest of the time she seems to shout on top of the backing tracks

On 3.2.2018 at 1:04 PM, Kim said:

She needs to just have a good clear out. Back in the day she didn't seem to have any qualms about switching things up completely from one era to the next. I know that settling into a routine as one gets older is somewhat inevitable, but she would really benefit by bringing in new blood, or even old blood. For someone who used to seek out the best in the business for all her endeavours, it's baffling why she sticks with some of the... frankly, mediocre talent that makes up her creative team these days. Sort it out Madge!

What it all comes down to. Seems like she's out there alone with her artistic visions and couldn't be bothered. 

50 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

To be fair she sounds good when she's singing the ballads (mostly) 

Well yes, but u know what I mean...

4 hours ago, acko said:

That would b ridiculous and a PR nightmare. There r tons of 'real voice' clips on youtube from people's televised performances,

they only serve one goal: ridicule.

There's a reason why she does it: she sounds like shit.  Let's make no excuses here.

I find it sad that the singing, since Confessions, has become an afterthought.

#sorrynotsorry

Oh no no no. She just "had a cold" on all those soundboard recordings and mic feeds and TV news clips.

Anyway, there's ways of mixing her vocals in post production that would sound passable. With RH they seemed to have just given up and simply boosted the prerecorded vox and buried the live vox. As usual, we're treated like idiots who won't know or care about such things.

They're great and we are blessed to get art like this. 

20 hours ago, TRVC said:

They're great and we are blessed to get art like this. 

Agreed! I love the RHT album. I love all the live albums, though I do admit the mixing on MDNAT is terrible.

Blessed? Really? I think I’d prefer her not to, it’s simply no good enough for a commercial release. Unless she or her people don’t want to put the effort in, I’d rather listen to whatever’s floating around online.

4 hours ago, luluthecat said:

Blessed? Really? I think I’d prefer her not to, it’s simply no good enough for a commercial release. Unless she or her people don’t want to put the effort in, I’d rather listen to whatever’s floating around online.

give examples.

anyway, the only vocals i hated on these tour dvds was sticky & sweet. i guess to Drowned World. other then that i never really noticed.

On 25/02/2018 at 7:00 AM, tuckeye said:

give examples.

anyway, the only vocals i hated on these tour dvds was sticky & sweet. i guess to Drowned World. other then that i never really noticed.

We must hear differently. She sounds great on Drowned World. The best most horrible live album example for me is Rebel Heart. On many songs completely off-key and and out tune, like Devil Prey is just awful....it’s really unpleasant to listen to, yet she sounds excellent of different nights. I don’t really get the need to use just one vocal take from one night. They should record every night and slice together a perfect show. It makes for a better listening experience, I don’t give a crap about it being from that particular night.

It took me years to forget her "perfect autotune voice" during the sticky and sweet tour while her echo is her raw voice. 

Otherwise, rebel heart is the worst edit of thing. It's just to fast, and the most wonderful and bright moment of the act with music is all in black and white. Candy shop is the only good piece edited not at the extreme.

IMO when I see a dvd when the artist were 60 costumes during the same song I just can't. It's my little OCD moment but damn, her hair and the costume change during deeper and deeper and Like a virgin really disturb me. Even worst with LFL and La isla.  

Casual fans I've played it for or who saw it on Showtime hated it. Even some hard core fans I know hated it. She sounds weak and it doesn't capture the show as I saw it. She would have been better off recording her vocals for every show and using the best ones for each song if she is going to present the show this way on DVD.

Apparently an unpopular opinion on here, but:

I actually like the MDNA dvd (don't have the bluray, apparently it's worse than the dvd somehow?). I LOVE Gang Bang, Love Spent, GI2M/Celebration-mash-up...It's like performance art, so cool...Love love the black/white on Love Spent, I've watched it a zillion times.

RH-tour dvd on the other hand, I absolutely despise. Can barely get through it...The audio is just so terrible...and to think I was SO looking forward to the release...ugh! Why Queen?!

I miss the old way of making video releases. 

21 hours ago, Dancing_Queen said:

I actually like the MDNA dvd (don't have the bluray, apparently it's worse than the dvd somehow?). I LOVE Gang Bang, Love Spent, GI2M/Celebration-mash-up...It's like performance art, so cool...Love love the black/white on Love Spent, I've watched it a zillion times.

RH-tour dvd on the other hand, I absolutely despise. Can barely get through it...The audio is just so terrible...and to think I was SO looking forward to the release...ugh! Why Queen?!

I initially didn’t like MDNA dvd at all. I really enjoy it now....

I do get why fans don’t like the MDNA editing, but it mostly no longer bothers me. I appreciate Madonna’s strong effort.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:32 AM, acko said:

Listen to this random TV Broadcast upload from VHS on fucking Youtube and hear the RANGE of sound.

These digital times r indeed tragic.

I hate that all our technological advances mean nothing when the new shit is rendered shit.

Again, when you consider the beautiful footage they had to work with, the end result is like taking a Renoir, colouring it in with fluorescent markers, then presenting it as a masterpiece.

There is no defence!

On 3/23/2018 at 10:33 PM, Dancing_Queen said:

I like too MDNA dvd a lot

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Again, when you consider the beautiful footage they had to work with, the end result is like taking a Renoir, colouring it in with fluorescent markers, then presenting it as a masterpiece.

There is no defence!

That left me breathless, I somehow never seen this

it looks incredible without the over-editing

edit: and she actually looks younger and better when you can actually see her natural skin tone

2 hours ago, Kim said:

There is no defence!

Wow. This is brilliant. Really sad to see all the unnecessary work they put on the final release.

That crane footage is amazing.

Makes me think about all the breathtaking spider cam footage that must exist of the Sydney RHT recording. 

God how infuriating such mdna pro footage exists 

On 24-3-2018 at 10:14 PM, Kim said:

There is no defence!

Did any of that actually make it in the final cut? I haven't sat through MDNA once tbh.

20 hours ago, acko said:

Did any of that actually make it in the final cut? I haven't sat through MDNA once tbh.

Yes, little 3 second clips of footage from these cameras (among hundreds of other 3 second clips) Overkill as usual

Love love love the MDNA Tour concert film. Gorgeous, exciting, and eye-popping!

I honestly haven't seen any of her tours since COADF in full. I just can't.  Makes me feel like I'm going to seizure. But I've also just accepted it. I've been to all of her most recent tours. It's in my memories. All that matters.

Us diehards may not enjoy these heavily edited and filtered concerts she's been putting out, but anytime I put it on in the background at any party I throw, people are absolutely mesmerized by the spectacle she puts on. 

I'm indifferent to them TBH. I'd prefer something less glossy and edited, but I've just accepted the fact that this is where we are and that it's a practice everyone does when released concerts these days. 

I personally love the Rebel Heart Tour dvd. Its my favorite one since Confessions by far.  Although I get angry everytime i see “Special Features” and all it has is 15 min excerpt of TOAC (including Holiday which is on the main setlist) and Like a Prayer. 

MDNA Tour dvd i cannot stand her vocals at all.  Its a shame because i really love the presentation and aesthetics of the tour but i cant sit through songs Human Nature, Express Yourself, and I dont Give A and others. 

The editing doesnt bother me so much as it does most of you though. The crane footage of MDNA though looks superb.

We can only hope more crane footage will leak and some devoted fan will create a new edit mixing it with the official recording
but that will never happen so.... :cries:

Honestly, it is much better than MDNA tour editing. This time is actually enjoyable and it looks like a movie :cool: