The promo campaign for Ms new album

just!ce

On 24 January 2018 at 3:11 AM, Mmmmm said:

And yet in that department, they were useless. People complained of not seeing her album on shelves..

They are absolutely useless and inept. Could not even stock her albums properly in major record stores. The type of record company who don't give a rat's continental about the artist and do less than the bare minimum required. 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:11 AM, Mmmmm said:

And yet in that department, they were useless. People complained of not seeing her album on shelves..

On what shelves? Very few large stores sell records anymore. I have not bought a record in a store in years. I buy from Amazon. The only stores in my neighborhood that sell records sell only vinyl in specialized genres like punk or jazz. 

10 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

On what shelves? Very few large stores sell records anymore. I have not bought a record in a store in years. I buy from Amazon. The only stores in my neighborhood that sell records sell only vinyl in specialized genres like punk or jazz. 

We have music stores here such as JB Hifi that sell CDs plus CDs are sold in major department stores. For a record company distributing records, Interscope was hopeless. 

Just now, Jazzy Jan said:

We have music stores here such as JB Hifi that sell CDs plus CDs are sold in major department stores. For a record company distributing records, Interscope was hopeless. 

Agreed. I wonder how Madonna fairs next to there other artists.

4 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Most major record chains like Tower Records and HMV here went out of business long ago. A local chain called Kemp Mill Records closed their last store here last year. So the term major record store sounds very outdated to me. They barely exist!

The only department store I can think of that sells music is Target and they have a very small selection. Barnes and Noble sells music but there physical stores are closing too. 

2 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

Most major record chains like Tower Records and HMV here went out of business long ago. A local chain called Kemp Mill Records closed their last store here last year. So the term major record store sounds very outdated to me. They barely exist! 

And this makes Madonna’s distribution deal stink even more !!

Its practically useless.

4 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

They’re still around. We have a huge HMV store near by. People do go and buy records and CD’s. Supermarkets sell CD’s too. 

1 minute ago, Mmmmm said:

They’re still around. We have a huge HMV store near by. People do go and buy records and CD’s. Supermarkets sell CD’s too. 

It must be different in Europe. Supermarkets here don't sell cd's. 

7 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

Don't people buy CDs in the USA from department stores ?  

I know it is a dying industry but CDs are also sold here at supermarkets and even some petrol stations as well. 

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

They are absolutely useless and inept. Could not even stock her albums properly in major record stores. The type of record company who don't give a rat's continental about the artist and do less than the bare minimum required. 

Yup. I tried looking at best buy, target, nothing. I think best buy had one CRACKED reg deluxe one and i had to end up going to barnes and noble.

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Don't people buy CDs in the USA from department stores ?  

I know it is a dying industry but CDs are also sold here at supermarkets and even some petrol stations as well. 

No, department stores are for clothes and makeup, things you have to try on to see if they fit or look good. That doesn't apply to cd's. Most people just order cd's from Amazon. 

I am sorry but having a few hundred more albums on the shelves would not have made a difference. There were multiple ways to get Rebel Heart (amazon, Itunes, and Streaming Services) and not having an overshipped album in the stores was not why it flopped. I saw multiple copies and still see copies when i go to Best Buy. 

Streaming is what she needs. How to get that though I do not know.

23 minutes ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

I am sorry but having a few hundred more albums on the shelves would not have made a difference.

Sorry but yeah.

didn't see it!

that evil Interscope!

it's deeper than that

On 2018-01-21 at 8:04 AM, Bretticus said:

Here's what I'd love to see, but it will never happen!

• NO LEAKS PLEASE! HIDE EVERYTHING MADONNA, DON'T GIVE A COPY TO DAVID TO LISTEN TO ON THE WAY TO SOCCER PRACTICE!!!
  • No pre-orders or instant grat pre-release single on iTunes. 4 or 5 "teaser" video clips about 10-15 seconds each before a music video release of the lead single. Video on Vevo a few hours before the single is released to iTunes. Have the single, plus a remix bundle ready to go on sale, include a newly commissioned remix of one or two Madonna classics in this bundle as an "Album Only" exclusive.
  • The next day, add only the single to Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music streaming, not the remixes (add those the following week, making them iTunes exclusives for a time). Release a new exclusive remix of the single each week for the next 4 weeks to keep sales ticking along. 
  • Release some format of physical single. A 7", a CD single, a 12" vinyl, a Picture Disc, whatever, something or everything - fans are going to buy whatever is released, get stuff out there ready for us to buy and collect! A huge chunk of her fanbase now aren't massive music streamers or digital purchasers, vinyl is king again now, so give us vinyl to buy!
  • Start an online/TV/print hype campaign for the album a month before the album release. New photoshoots, maybe a high profile endorsement with the new single attached to it? Surprise TV appearances on some late night shows/music awards/Ellen/whatever. Not overkill, just a couple in the US, UK, Germany, France and finally Australia and Japan. Interviews or exclusive performances, of course perform the new single along with a Madonna classic or two.
  • When the album is ready for release, give us the whole box and dice. Follow a path similar to Kylie and her "Golden" album, have the album available in loads of formats and bundles, each with it's own exclusive. This will push sales, whilst keeping loons like me happy collecting all sorts of different things :)

That's just a few ideas which would make things fun!

:clap:

a 7" with nice artwork/pic would be amazing

On 1/23/2018 at 2:23 PM, Steve said:

They are finally using her in adverts for litefm in NYC and New Jersey area.  

They should be.  They play her old hits all the time.  Ever since KTU ditched their format to become a Z100 clone 106.7 is my go to station to hear Madonna.

Auto spins of new track on clear channel stations and push for spins on Litefm and WPLJ for exposure.  The latest strat of releasing simultaneous singles to gauge audience could work to edit final product.  Not a Madonna strategy I endorse bc I’m a fan regardless but could work for radio/spins/exposure/sales. 

Edited by Steve

Without a proper label nothing is going to change. It will be like MDNA and Rebel Heart all over again.

No manager has the connections a label has.

A label like Warner has local marketing, promotion and radio teams in every single developed country in the world. How could Guy push the song in Germany, France, Brazil etc..? We're talking about a global superstar. He can't do anything from some office in LA.

If you count how many employees Warner has in every country, we're talking about THOUSANDS of people who worked hard on a LOCAL level to promote her singles and albums. People who spoke the local language, with connections and a budget they had from each country's Warner subsidiary.

11 hours ago, iasonas said:

Without a proper label nothing is going to change. It will be like MDNA and Rebel Heart all over again.

A label like Warner has local marketing, promotion and radio teams in every single developed country in the world. How could Guy push the song in Germany, France, Brazil etc..? We're talking about a global superstar. He can't do anything from some office in LA.

If you count how many employees Warner has in every country, we're talking about THOUSANDS of people who worked hard on a LOCAL level to promote her singles and albums. People who spoke the local language, with connections and a budget they had from each country's Warner subsidiary.

+1

13 hours ago, iasonas said:

Agreed.

Madonna can pop into the country like she did a few with RH and do a TV spot and an interview, but that’s not enough.

The new music needs the ground work you mention here with local radio stations etc and the use of record company connections!

Even if Madonna upped her promo appearances a la ROL 1998 (where she appeared on everything) it need supporting by a strong enough campaign.

15 hours ago, iasonas said:

https://media.giphy.com/media/jShr8wkP38XTO/giphy.gif

41 minutes ago, vocalism said:

But what’s the answer/conclusion ?

Madonna must care she ruled the charts for 25 years.....and she does still go out and actively  promote and perform!

Why not hire someone else in to carry promotion for her music if she gets zero from Interscope? 

Is it money ? Would it cost too much? Surly that’s why Guy O gets a yearly salary?

4 minutes ago, Confessit said:

But what’s the answer/conclusion ?

Madonna must care she ruled the charts for 25 years.....and she does still go out and actively  promote and perform!

Why not hire someone else in to carry promotion for her music if she gets zero from Interscope? 

Is it money ? Would it cost too much? Surly that’s why Guy O gets a yearly salary?

The answer/conclusion is simple: If want the support and connections that a record label can provide, you have to have a proper record deal. Period. You can't be Bernie Sanders trying to win the Democratic nomination and act surprised that the party isn't supporting you. Maybe that's not a great analogy, but it's the first thing I thought of. It might not seem fair, but that's the way the world works.

3 minutes ago, vocalism said:

The answer/conclusion is simple: If want the support and connections that a record label can provide, you have to have a proper record deal. Period. You can't be Bernie Sanders trying to win the Democratic nomination and act surprised that the party isn't supporting you. Maybe that's not a great analogy, but it's the first thing I thought of. It might not seem fair, but that's the way the world works.

Yeh your right ! 

It will be telling if she goes back to a traditional record company after this! 

But I agree with your example.