MadonnaNation.com Forums
Je5u5

So one of the many reasons why music industry is in such a state nowadays..

One of those "college kids react" videos came up on my feed and it was about recognizing 70s music.

This was the "result":

Screenshot_20180112-095856.png

In a world of streaming and free for all downloads it's sad to see how Despacito scores billions of plays in a few months yet college students are mostly or completely unaware of who people like Pink Floyd, Donna Summer, Kool and the Gang, Cher and Marvin Gaye are.

I know this is just a small sample but it's rather sad that having basically the music equivalent of Alexandria library a click away in your phone people simply don't take the time to dig deeper than the current top 50 playlist.

I get very well what you say, but I can only say FUCK THEM. 

Yes. Some of those acts are part of popular culture. If they are so stupid as to not know them and not enjoy them, FUCK THEM. 

I mean, many people under 30 don't know who is Marlene Dietrich. Well, their loss. 

interesting that they seem to know who Queen is, and Elton. But the others, particularly the two female artists, don't fare so well.

Back in the day was almost the same for Donna Summer....so many thought she sung “I Will Survive” or one of her songs were by Gloria Gaynor!

6 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

it's rather sad that having basically the music equivalent of Alexandria library a click away in your phone people simply don't take the time to dig deeper than the current top 50 playlist.

True.

And it's not just about music. You can basically learn any knowledge/skill/language online and yet what most people do online is Facebook.

4 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

interesting that they seem to know who Queen is, and Elton. But the others, particularly the two female artists, don't fare so well.

Well Queen are major reissue/rerelease/repackage whores, seem to let anyone use their music be it for ads, TV shows or whatever so they are always there. Add their (well deserved) rock legend status and Freddie's distinctive voice + their harmonies. They should be pretty recognizable.

Elton was a bigger surprise.

want to get outraged and I know I've said this a few times already, but when I was 15 my peers listened to absolutely SHIT, SHIT music. I was a weirdo for listening to Madonna, Bowie, Bjork, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. 

Nothing has changed. Most people have shit taste in everything. 

Elton was all over the place when someone spilled his 3some orgy stuff.

He's pretty recognizable too.

1 hour ago, horn said:

Elton was all over the place when someone spilled his 3some orgy stuff.

He's pretty recognizable too.

Oh I almost forgot that. Almost.

AN220-Olive-Oil-732x549-Thumb.jpg

+71lI-srEuPL._SL1500_.jpg

+

elton-john-and-david-furnish__oPt.jpg

🤢

I remember 20 years ago when I was a kid, so many of my friends/colleagues had no idea about so many artists.... this isn't anything new.

13 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Oh I almost forgot that. Almost.

AN220-Olive-Oil-732x549-Thumb.jpg

+71lI-srEuPL._SL1500_.jpg

+

elton-john-and-david-furnish__oPt.jpg

🤢

Kiddie pool filled up with virgin olive oil

These are a few of my favourite things!

there's no excuses. they have all the tools to look this stuff up

the problem is that the teens & early 20 year olds show such an arrogant attitude.. (though not in the literal or obvious way). they show this vibe of entitlement.. "I don't know this music, so therefore, it must not be important".. and it's that which annoys me the most.

I dont think these songs are comparable 

That’s great! The ignorant masses can remain in the dark while I’m getting my life to the oldies  :dramatic: