MadonnaNation.com Forums
Bill

Sad Songs

What are some of your favorite sad songs?  The ones that rip your heart out?  The ones that hurt in all the right ways, when you need them to.

This would be my #1.  It has the most tragic lyrics, dramatic instrumental, beautiful vocals. "I didn't come here to hurt you, now I can't stop."  :cries:  The video is ridiculous, so just listen to the song...

"Masterpiece" is up there too among the saddest ever.  Madonna's got a few of them - Something To Remember, Promise To Try, This Used To Be My Playground...

The lyrics and melody of this song is so sad

I know these songs I have listed so far are old but all heart breaking and sad 

This song is so passionate sad that I always laugh when listening to it. Perfect for lip-synchs at home with wigs, hahahaha

And sad ones, that really makes you sad. This is the song that ALWAYS gets me. Always. I love Oleta so much. 

With Total Eclipse of the Heart I'm always hooked. Not only because it's hillariously camp, but also because it's so brilliant. I love the long version, the one with this verse: 

(Turn around)
Every now and then
I know you'll never be the boy
You always wanted to be

(Turn around)
But every now and then
I know you'll always be the only boy
Who wanted me the way that I am

And let's not forget the literal version that was released in YouTube and is soooo good, hahahaha

Sadly for Madonna we only have a literal version and it is sung in some slavish language :( 

Time - Tori Amos (will ALWAYS remind me of 9/11)

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen (listened to this the night I knew Hillary was gonna lose lol. The lyrics are cryptically accurate of the situation.)

Giving Up Everything - Natalie Merchant (aching. Have to be in the right mood to listen to it.)

Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen (the ultimate song to take a long walk to)

Something to Remember - Madonna (the vocals. The arraignment. it transports me to a lonely, smokey hotel lobby somewhere in New York in the 1920's) 

Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland (The ONLY rendition of this song that matters)

When We Were Young - Adele (I know she can be cheese, but the lyrics to this song just pull at me)

Why - Annie Lennox (she gets shit around here, and some of it is justified. But it can't be denied that she's released some gorgeous songs. This being her crown jewel)

Gold Dust - Tori Amos (I can barely get through this song sometimes)

Kelly Clarkson - Sober (The buildup. The vocals. Should've been a massive hit.)

Better Off Alone - Alice Deejay (I know this might seem like an odd pick. And maybe it's because I tie personal memories to it, but I always found the song to have such a melancholy vibe behind the early 00's techno. In fact, a LOT of late 90's/early 00's house/dance songs had more emotion behind them than they get credit for.)

Alanis Moriessette - That I Would Be Good (She's got some tear jerking gems in her catalog, but this takes the cake.)

Back to Black - Amy Winehouse (I listen to this and always think of what could've been with her...... )

Ode to My Family - The Cranberries (Dolores O'Riordan's vocals can be piercing, but with this song, she shines.) 

7 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Time - Tori Amos (will ALWAYS remind me of 9/11)  YES!

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen (listened to this the night I knew Hillary was gonna lose lol. The lyrics are cryptically accurate of the situation.)

Giving Up Everything - Natalie Merchant (aching. Have to be in the right mood to listen to it.)

Something to Remember - Madonna (the vocals. The arraignment. it transports me to a lonely, smokey hotel lobby somewhere in New York in the 1920's) 

Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland (The ONLY rendition of this song that matters)

When We Were Young - Adele (I know she can be cheese, but the lyrics to this song just pull at me)

Why - Annie Lennox (she gets shit around here, and some of it is justified. But it can't be denied that she's released some gorgeous songs. This being her crown jewel)

Better Off Alone - Alice Deejay (I know this might seem like an odd pick. And maybe it's because I tie personal memories to it, but I always found the song to have such a melancholy vibe behind the early 00's techno. In fact, a LOT of late 90's/early 00's house/dance songs had more emotion behind them than they get credit for.)

Alanis Moriessette - That I Would Be Good (She's got some tear jerking gems in her catalog, but this takes the cake.)  Yep, she has many.  Ever hear "Simple Together"?  Ughhhhhhhh

Back to Black - Amy Winehouse (I listen to this and always think of what could've been with her...... )  This one gets me too.

Ode to My Family - The Cranberries (Dolores O'Riordan's vocals can be piercing, but with this song, she shines.) 

Lots of great ones here.

Winter by Tori Amos is my favorite sad song atm.

Guest Marco

Good to Love - FKA Twigs

Everything Is Embarrassing - Sky Ferreira

Hope -  Haerts

Liability - Lorde

Drone Bomb Me - ANOHNI

I'm a Ruin - Marina & the Diamonds

Ivy - Frank Ocean

Wings - Birdy

On Hold - The XX

Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac

Jóga - Björk

Life On Mars - David Bowie

The Beautiful Ones  - Prince

Savage - Eurythmics

Dancing on My Own - Robyn

Love Is A Losing Game - Amy Winehouse

Welcome To The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

@karbatal  That "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" literal video made my day!!  Wish the "Like A Prayer" one was in English (or at least English subtitles)!!

Guest Marco
4 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

Time - Tori Amos (will ALWAYS remind me of 9/11)

Alanis Moriessette - That I Would Be Good (She's got some tear jerking gems in her catalog, but this takes the cake.)

Back to Black - Amy Winehouse (I listen to this and always think of what could've been with her...... )

Fantastic list, especially M, Alanis, Cranberries, Tori and The Cranberries

Here's a couple I always tend to listen to when feeling sad.  I know the last one (Hugh) has no words, but the music is sad enough by itself.

Plus a few other Beth Orton songs...Stars All Seem To Weep...

My sad Madonna's songs:

the power of goodbye, devil wouldn't recognize you, masterpiece, you must love me, secret, live to tell, forbidden love, you'll see, oh father, ghosttown, bad girl, something to remember, I deserve it, paradise (not for me), frozen, don't cry for me Argentina, miles away, take a bow, time stood still (the next best thing).

Non Madonna's songs:

Evanescence: my immortal, everybody's fool

Linkin Park: what I've done, burning down

Avril lavigne: nobody's home, I'm with you

Massive Attacks: teardrop

The xx: crystallized

Lene Marlin: unforgettable sinner

Mike Posner: I took a pill in Ibiza

Tracy Chapam: fast car

Aloe Blacc: I need a dollar

Radiohead: creep, karma police

Ed Sheram: the A team 

Arctic Monkeys : why would you call me only when you high.

Storms - Fleetwood Mac 

Never Is A Promise- Fiona Apple 

Achingly beautiful 

1. Daffodil Lament by The Cranberries has always been part of my sad repertoire, moreso now that Dolores is gone. 
  2. Demons, by The National
  3. And dream of sheep, by Kate Bush
  4. Definitely Both sides now, by Joni Mitchell
  5. Invisible Empire, by KT Tunstall
  6. Streets of Philadelphia, by Bruce Springsteen
  7. The ground beneath her feet, by U2
  8. Brendan's death song, by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
  9. Why, by Annie Lennox
  10. And my Madonna go-to song when I am sad is always Has to be. It is sad but comforting at the same time, like I know, at the end, I'll just see the light but it is still ok to be sad.

Garbage - You Look So Fine, Stroke of Luck, Tell Me Where it Hurts, Milk, Even Though our Love is Doomed