MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

Um... why wasn't "BITCH I'M MADONNA' video nominated for an MTV award?

8 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

Are you trolling?

No seriously. Madonna has the best music catalogue ever and she performed her classics (vogue, lav, lap) so many times already.

It would be awesome if next tour she focus more on songs that she never (or very few times) performed before.

About the other issue, I do recognize the iconic status of Vogue, but LAP is more iconic in terms of sound, vocals, image and message of the lyrics. 

1 minute ago, Galactic-Tiger said:

No seriously. Madonna has the best music catalogue ever and she performed her classics (vogue, lav, lap) so many times already.

It would be awesome if next tour she focus more on songs that she never (or very few times) performed before.

The issue there is she would struggle to sell it out. Although I agree there are plenty of songs she hasn’t performed but if she does tour this year without an album then the expectation will be for the huge classics to be performed.

19 minutes ago, Confessit said:

The issue there is she would struggle to sell it out. Although I agree there are plenty of songs she hasn’t performed but if she does tour this year without an album then the expectation will be for the huge classics to be performed.

I totally get that point. But I'm still puzzled by it.

Madonna has proved to be an exceptional performer so why go to her concert to watch everytime the same songs? 

It's true that everytime she delivers a new reinvention, but personally I am saturated of her classics.

On the other hand there are too many songs I'd love to see live coz she never performed them: promise to try, how high, easy ride, hold tight etc etc

The setlist is short so I really don't see the point to perform more than just one signature song.

Only reason is economic bussness, I guess. But from my fan point of view is a bit disappointing. 

10 hours ago, acko said:

Great créative directing Suedehole...!

I know! She needs to hire me already. I'll give up my job in a heartbeat (it may feel old 2 U) and give her EVERYTHING (that I GAAAHTTT!!)!! 

1 hour ago, Galactic-Tiger said:

I totally get that point. But I'm still puzzled by it.

Madonna has proved to be an exceptional performer so why go to her concert to watch everytime the same songs? 

It's true that everytime she delivers a new reinvention, but personally I am saturated of her classics.

On the other hand there are too many songs I'd love to see live coz she never performed them: promise to try, how high, easy ride, hold tight etc etc

The setlist is short so I really don't see the point to perform more than just one signature song.

Only reason is economic bussness, I guess. But from my fan point of view is a bit disappointing. 

Well you need to look at the bigger picture. If Madonna loses her casual fan attendees, which is what your "one signature song only" idea would guarantee, then she's be done as a touring force. Madonna's a pop star, not some indie band playing to a couple hundred people. Hearing classic songs (preferably sung in their classic incarnations) is part of the whole experience of concert going. There is nothing better than a whole stadium or arena joining as one to celebrate the whole reason most people are there - songs that everyone knows. 

7 hours ago, Galactic-Tiger said:

No way, pls. Next time she performs Holiday, Vogue or LAP I'm gonna puke big times! I was so happy that she performed only extracts of Vogue. Such a relief. I can't imagine a fan not tired to see the same songs performed, except for you ofc.

BTW Like A Prayer is wayyyyy more iconic than Vogue. :queenbitch:

Are Madonna fans the only fan base that have fans who don't want to hear massive hit songs and say they are sick of hearing them ?  It truly astounds me.  At the Rebel Heart concert, the roar of approval when the snippet of Vogue come on in Holy Water was so noticeable. When she sang Like a prayer in Melbourne, I don't think I have ever seen or heard such a reaction to a song at a concert ever. People were genuinely ecstatic and the applause was over whelming. Part of the experience of seeing concerts is the crowd atmosphere. 

As Madonna always performs less known songs as well so to speak, I can't see how also performing some of the most loved, iconic and wonderful pop songs ever is something to want anyone to puke over as you say. 

23 minutes ago, Kim said:

Well you need to look at the bigger picture. If Madonna loses her casual fan attendees, which is what your "one signature song only" idea would guarantee, then she's be done as a touring force. Madonna's a pop star, not some indie band playing to a couple hundred people. Hearing classic songs (preferably sung in their classic incarnations) is part of the whole experience of concert going. There is nothing better than a whole stadium or arena joining as one to celebrate the whole reason most people are there - songs that everyone knows. 

I really enjoyed the holly water/vogue mix tho and I think it's a great idea to perform only the most iconic lyrics lines instead of the full song. Let the new generation of pop singer tribute those songs. Madonna has gave them enough justice imo. 

Also she's touring quite often recently so I'm really looking foward to hear as many different songs as possible from her. I won't survive another candy shop, but same goes for la isla bonita or human nature or vogue (regardless of my love for those sobgs).

Honestly, was holiday a powerful encore in the RHT? 

I think holiday was much more powerfull and emotional in the Reinvention tour. Sorry, but BIM would have served better as encore for the RHT.

BIM is much more appealing than holiday to the gp today. Or am I wrong? 

6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Are Madonna fans the only fan base that have fans who don't want to hear massive hit songs and say they are sick of hearing them ?  It truly astounds me.  At the Rebel Heart concert, the roar of approval when the snippet of Vogue come on in Holy Water was so noticeable. When she sang Like a prayer in Melbourne, I don't think I have ever seen or heard such a reaction to a song at a concert ever. People were genuinely ecstatic and the applause was over whelming. Part of the experience of seeing concerts is the crowd atmosphere. 

As Madonna always performs less known songs as well so to speak, I can't see how also performing some of the most loved, iconic and wonderful pop songs ever is something to want anyone to puke over as you say. 

Sure but would vogue have obtained the same enthusiasm if she performed it in full? Lap was not in the setlist so again was a nice surprise.

Here, however I am talking of songs included in full in the setlist and to be more specific I am referrinf to: mg, la isla bonita, lav, holiday, music, dress u up+get into the groove.

How many times she performed those songs? 

Anyway I can't complain too much coz honestly she gave one of the best lav performances ever. :bow:

1 minute ago, Galactic-Tiger said:

Sure but would vogue have obtained the same enthusiasm if she performed it in full? Lap was not in the setlist so again was a nice surprise.

Here, however I am talking of songs included in full in the setlist and to be more specific I am referrinf to: mg, la isla bonita, lav, holiday, music, dress u up+get into the groove.

How many times she performed those songs? 

Anyway I can't complain too much coz honestly she gave one of the best lav performances ever. :bow:

Yes, I am sure of it. I understand your point and it is your opinion but well known songs that are loved and known by the GP are always the songs casual fans want to mainly hear. La Isla Bonita, like a virgin, Music, Material girl also got a huge reaction at the concert. 

The way I see it, Madonna has possibly the most well known and loved pop songs of anyone in the last 4 decades. Something never to be forgotten as an incredible and wonderful musical legacy. You and I love her album tracks and less known songs with a passion as well as we are major fans but many concert goers don't know them ie casual fans.  It does not matter how brilliant and amazing she is live, the GP still want to hear numerous massive hits. It is part of their music life and memories. 

If she is going to not perform major hits at her concerts, the GP will not have the same experience. Having hits peppered in for full effect pleases them and they also can appreciate the new songs and album tracks as well.  It is a winning situation for everyone. 

11 minutes ago, Galactic-Tiger said:

I really enjoyed the holly water/vogue mix tho and I think it's a great idea to perform only the most iconic lyrics lines instead of the full song. Let the new generation of pop singer tribute those songs. Madonna has gave them enough justice imo. 

Also she's touring quite often recently so I'm really looking foward to hear as many different songs as possible from her. I won't survive another candy shop, but same goes for la isla bonita or human nature or vogue (regardless of my love for those sobgs).

Honestly, was holiday a powerful encore in the RHT? 

I think holiday was much more powerfull and emotional in the Reinvention tour. Sorry, but BIM would have served better as encore for the RHT.

BIM is much more appealing than holiday to the gp today. Or am I wrong? 

Yes you're wrong. What may be your 12th time seeing Madonna might be someone else's first or second. What is the girl sitting behind you's very favourite song in the world might be your least fav. Madonna has to cover all bases. As a pop star selling expensive tickets in big venues you bet your ass she better sing a good proportion of hits. 

Fondest memory of MDNA? An entire stadium of people continuing to sing Papa Don't Preach and completely ignore Madonna's stupid segue into (a bastadized) Hung Up. Or people at RHT chanting for Like a Prayer while Madonna was making a speech about her song being voted the best by Rolling Stone readers (turns out it was "best of the year" and Ghosttown, which while nice, wasn't what those people were expecting/hoping to hear.

Madonna had the whole of Holiday sung back to her during that same concert when the lights and sound were cut. I dread to think of the virtual silence had BIM been the encore.

So yes... the bigger picture!

18 minutes ago, Kim said:

Fondest memory of MDNA? An entire stadium of people continuing to sing Papa Don't Preach and completely ignore Madonna's stupid segue into (a bastadized) Hung Up. Or people at RHT chanting for Like a Prayer while Madonna was making a speech about her song being voted the best by Rolling Stone readers (turns out it was "best of the year" and Ghosttown, which while nice, wasn't what those people were expecting/hoping to hear.

Madonna had the whole of Holiday sung back to her during that same concert when the lights and sound were cut. I dread to think of the virtual silence had BIM been the encore.

:lmao:

20 minutes ago, Kim said:

Yes you're wrong. What may be your 12th time seeing Madonna might be someone else's first or second. What is the girl sitting behind you's very favourite song in the world might be your least fav. Madonna has to cover all bases. As a pop star selling expensive tickets in big venues you bet your ass she better sing a good proportion of hits. 

Exactly !  Why I think Holiday was a perfect ending song. People filling out of the concerts I went to were still singing it in joy as the left the arena. It is the last song they hear and a huge hit is infectious. 

Ok, I agree. :banghead:

bim stays underrated tho. It should have been a huge smah hit imo. It's impossible not to shake your ass to it. 

:hotmess:

She's not Tori Amos. 

What she should take advantage of is the fact that she can tour and add a dozen of well known hits and then add a different dozen to the next tour without having to repeat a single one. So she did Holiday? Next time she can do Borderline. She did Like a Prayer? For the next she can do Express Yourself. And so on. Yet she doesn't.

The way she's allowed certified smashes like Open Your Heart, Rain, Secret, Beautiful Stranger, Don't Tell Me, Sorry, Get Together, 4 Minutes, etc slip into oblivion when it comes to her tours is a bit of a letdown.

19 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

:hotmess:

She's not Tori Amos. 

What she should take advantage of is the fact that she can tour and add a dozen of well known hits and then add a different dozen to the next tour without having to repeat a single one. So she did Holiday? Next time she can do Borderline. She did Like a Prayer? For the next she can do Express Yourself. And so on. Yet she doesn't.

The way she's allowed certified smashes like Open Your Heart, Rain, Secret, Beautiful Stranger, Don't Tell Me, Sorry, Get Together, 4 Minutes, etc slip into oblivion when it comes to her tours is a bit of a letdown.

I agree. I get that LAP always get the crowd emotional but there is no need to do it always.

All the smashes that you mentioned scream justice tbh. :banghead:

Remember when this thread was about BIM not receiving a VMA nom?

This is it now, feel old yet?

:dead:

13 minutes ago, Orion said:

:clap:

MTV used to be soo cool in its prime. but thats because the 80s and 90s were cool and progressive. and like many large corporations, they cave in to public demand.  back in the day they were topical, controversial, and opened conversation. not so anymore. they truly reflect modern times.

27 minutes ago, Orion said:

Well the conceit of a bunch of adults lamenting that their 59 year old favourite pop star didn't get nominated for a moon man is kinda.... weird in itself, no?

@Galactic-Tiger I totally get your position and personally, I'd also love to see a "deep cuts" kind of tour where she performs album tracks and lesser performed singles from over the years, maybe sprinkled with a massive hit or two. Obviously, this wouldn't be a show for stadiums or large arenas even. It would need to be stated beforehand what type of show it is, otherwise, it could be a disaster. Imagine the horror of an "Immaculate Collection" fan that goes to a Madonna show and hears Shoo-Be-Doo, Survival and Skin over LAP, LAV and Vogue.....not gonna work! If it's targeted to the right audience though and marketed well it could really bring her some good press. It would also be a dream for us die hard fans! To me, she has yet to do a tour where a full set list of lesser known songs would be appropriate. Fair enough that she does the new material because, well, she should do the new material and if a casual fan is too dense to realize that THE REBEL HEART TOUR isn't a greatest hits show then well....that's on them.

As long as she's doing tours as we now know them though, then she's gotta throw some of the big ones in there.....especially now that she really doesn't have "hits" as big or consistently as she once did. I feel like there's a handful of Madonna songs that 99% of the audience will always love.....LAV, MG, LAP, Vogue, EY........she could do those on every tour and they'll always be the most well received. 

On 2018-01-12 at 3:35 PM, VogueMusic said:

THIS.

Some really don't get it...

On 2018-01-12 at 2:25 PM, Kurt420 said:

I think it's sad that Madonna fans are aging in a more "old fogie" kind of way than she is. CLEARLY she wasn't being serious with the song or video.....it's a parody in a sense. I'd be all for giving her shit if she came out with something serious exclaiming "Bitch I'm Madonna" but this?? The beat itself sounds "animated" in a way....then add her OTT lyrics and the colorful, silly, "party" vibe video and I think it's clear that this isn't to be taken so seriously. Lighten the fuck up!! Jesus!

THIS

20 hours ago, Galactic-Tiger said:

Next time she performs Holiday, Vogue or LAP I'm gonna puke big times!

giphy.gif

I can't imagine a fan not tired to see the same songs performed, except for you ofc.

giphy.gif

BTW Like A Prayer is wayyyyy more iconic than Vogue. :queenbitch:

OfficeKellyHeadshake.gif

10 hours ago, Galactic-Tiger said:

Let the new generation of pop singer tribute those songs. Madonna has gave them enough justice imo.

mindy.gif

6 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

giphy.gif

Only lie I see it's about puking. That was clearly a figure of speech. 

The truth is that I'm already saving money for the upcoming tour and you can be reassured that I will jump and scream along every song. 

At the end of the day a mix between classics, deep cuts and new songs can make everybody happy, I guess. 

17 hours ago, Kim said:

This.

I believe she put Holiday as the closer again was because she went to countries she'd never gone to before. RHT was her first tour in the Philippines so I could see why she picked her iconic hit as the closer. She and her team knew a lot of older people would go to the concert to see for the first time.

The arena got up on their feet to dance to Like a Prayer. The next day, the crowd exploded to cheers & tears when she performed Crazy For You.