MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roland Barthes

I love The Power of goodbye remixes. ALL OF THEM.

madonna-the-power-of-good-bye-cd-single-

They may be the most controversial Madonna remixes among the fans especially the Luke Slater ones but i have always loved them and i love them even more today. 

Personally i wasn't a fan of the song, it's the one i always skipped on ray of light and if i believe what he said in an interview around the album release, Orbit wasn't a fan either. But with time i grew to like it very much (even though i love the demo more). 

When the remixes were released i absolutely adored the radicality of the Luke Slater remixes, i was heavily into Aphex Twin back then and it reminded me of his approach. I remember walking around Manhattan listening to them and feeling empowered. Both Slater's remixes are very different one from the other but both are radical.

I also liked the Fabian Waltmann good god remix which was closer to the album version but with a bit of jungle twist, i knew his work with french artist Etienne Daho since he mixed his albums (Eden at the time and the new one Blitz as well).

I found the Dallas Austin lazy, it sounded too much like that duet between Left Eye and Mel C but with time it grew on me too because it has now a nostalgic late 90's electro RnB.

I know i'm in the minority here since i read many times on Mnation the distaste for these remixes but i simply love them. ALL. They are indeed IMO far superior to the remixes that we got since the Confessions era. 

Luke Slater is today one of the regular DJ at Berlin's famous Berghain club.

I remember that these always got alot of hate and i never heard them until around the music era. They are definately very 90s rave which isnt bad but i dont think suit the song. And yes definately better than the confessions mixes (except for stuart's which were on point). I wonder why a maxi wasnt released in the US tho. Maybe had there been one it wouldve been top 10.

:provoke:

I'm so glad that at least ONE person in the world like these JUNK :inlove:

I always found it very interesting why she went with these industrial remixes, as opposed to the softer, gentler, mainstream mixes of the other singles off the album. These remixes were such a departure on the spectrum. I would love to find out what she / warner were thinking, especially the Luke Slater Filtered Mix!

What is more interesting is that these were not released in the US or the clubs, only in Europe....

Remember liking the official remixes on the cd single.

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

Get tae fuck!

I have to say that the "lazy" Dallas Austin mix is my favorite out of these. :lol:

I like the Fabian mix. I've never listened to the Luke Slater mixes in full. What was she thinking!

21 hours ago, Kim said:

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

FREEDOM CUM

Get tae fuck!

PMSL.

so fucking true. Not a single remix of this song is listenable! And the original is sooo good. William should have done one...

She should've put the demo version on the maxi CD.

It shits all over the official mixes.

The only POG remix that's bearable is Dallas Austin's and that was kind of disappointing given what great work they did together for BS.

On 1/6/2018 at 2:16 PM, Showdown said:

I remember that these always got alot of hate and i never heard them until around the music era. They are definately very 90s rave which isnt bad but i dont think suit the song. And yes definately better than the confessions mixes (except for stuart's which were on point). I wonder why a maxi wasnt released in the US tho. Maybe had there been one it wouldve been top 10.

The GT remixes remind me of the POG remixes, but I really like Tracy Young's HU, Green Velvet's "Sorry," and I recently re-discovered Axwell's "Jump." 

I've never understood the hate for Fabian's Good God Mix. I think it's glorious and intense (and uses the full vocal).

It adds a darkness and an almost sinister vibe to the lush and gorgeous original. It's actually one of my fave mixes.

5 hours ago, vocalism said:

The only POG remix that's bearable is Dallas Austin's and that was kind of disappointing given what great work they did together for BS.

The GT remixes remind me of the POG remixes, but I really like Tracy Young's HU, Green Velvet's "Sorry," and I recently re-discovered Axwell's "Jump." 

Ironically i like the mixes for get together but i know what you mean. Out of all songs not to get remixed by above & beyond i think get together deserved it! I aways felt it should've gotten trance mixes by above & beyond and maybe tiesto.

Guys you are all for a treat. Those who love these remixes please buy this album. Wonderful! 

cylinders.jpg

On 9/1/2018 at 2:07 AM, Cody Banks said:

I've never understood the hate for Fabian's Good God Mix. I think it's glorious and intense (and uses the full vocal).

It adds a darkness and an almost sinister vibe to the lush and gorgeous original. It's actually one of my fave mixes.

You mean the one that goes

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Well yeah. Better than "Freedom cums" once it gets to the full vocals but certainly felts like trolling playing right after Luke Slaters' mix.

If I play them now I can find them somewhat entertaining and reminiscent of some electronica sounds of the 90s but when I paid good money to get this as an import from Europe when i was 17 I felt completely ripped off.

And especially after the glorious singles for Frozen and Ray of Light. I thought "Ok, no wonder this didn't get released everywhere".

You give me F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F  F F

Feeever

I'm kidding the Fever mixes were ace

There's no great power than the power

than the power

than the power

than the power

than the power

than the power

than the power

than the power

than the power

than the power :grr: 

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

You mean the one that goes

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Your heart is not

Well yeah. Better than "Freedom cums" once it gets to the full vocals but certainly felts like trolling playing right after Luke Slaters' mix.

If I play them now I can find them somewhat entertaining and reminiscent of some electronica sounds of the 90s but when I paid good money to get this as an import from Europe when i was 17 I felt completely ripped off.

And especially after the glorious singles for Frozen and Ray of Light. I thought "Ok, no wonder this didn't get released everywhere".

Have you heard luke slater's filtered remix? Its only on a few of the imports and its SO insane. Like crazy techno rave and it has this weird echo filter voice. 

7 minutes ago, Showdown said:

Have you heard luke slater's filtered remix? Its only on a few of the imports and its SO insane. Like crazy techno rave and it has this weird echo filter voice. 

I have the German single and they were wise enough to leave that one out I guess.

2 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

I have the German single and they were wise enough to leave that one out I guess.

That's the one i have, it only has 3 mixes but u should really try to listen to it. Its bonkers.

On 12/1/2018 at 6:19 PM, Genevieve Vavance said:

You give me F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F  F F

Feeever

I'm kidding the Fever mixes were ace

Nope.  

Along with these, those were the worst too in that era of WONDERFUL remixes.