MadonnaNation.com Forums
karbatal

Is there any successful female pop singer nowadays???

Katy Perry (the official flop of the year. Gaga was the official flop of 2016) and Shakira (who everybody thought was dead) are the most streamed female singers this year.  

WTF???? 

Who is a success then????  Are there new princesses we should know or something?  Are there really non REAL successful women right now?  

Selena,  Ariana... They're not selling that much! 

I think Rihanna is the only one consistent on the charts

I want to believe in female princesses!!!!!!!  They are life savers for little gays 

Even Taylor Swift is underperforming in the US and flopping in the rest of the world. Adele hasn't flopped.....yet.:chuckle:

We definitively need to ask Sisley, she has the pulse on everything... 

11 minutes ago, Pedro said:

We definitively need to ask Sisley, she has the pulse on everything... 

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Katy Perry (the official flop of the year. Gaga was the official flop of 2016) and Shakira (who everybody thought was dead) are the most streamed female singers this year.  

WTF???? 

Who is a success then????  Are there new princesses we should know or something?  Are there really non REAL successful women right now?  

Selena,  Ariana... They're not selling that much! 

According to spotify, globally as follows

Most Streamed Female Artists

1. Rihanna
2. Taylor Swift
3. Selena Gomez
4. Ariana Grande
5. Sia 

However, in the UK Dua Lipa is no 1 and Beyonce is to give too.

Certainly a big shift in tastes but Jarvis Cocker said that music has become like a scented candle. It just sets a mood.

It's just like the backing track to people's social media accounts

I was thinking about this the other day. Shouldn't there be a new pop princess by now? The new-new-new-new Madonna? I think a new one is due in the next year or so. 

I find the idea of a big pop star in the same vein of Madonna is long gone. Now it’s more about the song/album not the artist. Yes Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez and Rihanna are still somewhat popular and get tons of airplay but as far as I can tell people are more into Cardi B and Ann Marie and Dua Lipe at the moment. Thanks to social media and Spotify the lifespan of a successful artist is getting shorter and shorter. Kids might like you today and make you incredibly popular for a few months or even weeks then they start to resent this so called artists popularity and they’d rather focus on someone else. 

The pop landscape is definitely long overdue for a major shift...but considering the socio-political times we're in, I don't know if that's possible. It's the era of men right now.

Though we had a good, what, ten years or so of a lot of female pop. I think the market and public taste just had their fill...as none of them were really bringing anything all that new.

In however many years, it'll turn back round again.

5 minutes ago, MeakMaker said:

I find the idea of a big pop star in the same vein of Madonna is long gone. Now it’s more about the song/album not the artist. Yes Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez and Rihanna are still somewhat popular and get tons of airplay but as far as I can tell people are more into Cardi B and Ann Marie and Dua Lipe at the moment. Thanks to social media and Spotify the lifespan of a successful artist is getting shorter and shorter. Kids might like you today and make you incredibly popular for a few months or even weeks then they start to resent this so called artists popularity and they’d rather focus on someone else.

This.

53 minutes ago, MeakMaker said:

Agree!

The whole pop music scene is just gone at the moment.  It's all tired and repetitive beats by DJ's with "singers" who have no face, no personality, and certainly aren't worthy of being in a tabloid.  I was just talking about this the other day and how I might have heard a song or two by chance, I would have no idea who actually "sings" it.  I don't watch a lot of TV but when I do and I pass by a show about celebrities it's mostly reality TV stars mixed in with a few recognizable names - it's horrible.  

Even the bigger names aren't selling what they used to and concert ticket sales are slower than before.  We are in desperate need of a new sound, a new image, someone who actually has something to say.  Also, is anyone else sick of the whole song/dance routine?  I mean, it's always the same thing - sexy outfit, back up dancers, electronic music - repeat.  

Maybe it's my age (i'm heading towards 35), but i'm finding myself moving away from pop music unless it's coming from someone who's already established and not from the new generation - these people don't appeal to me at all (Rihanna, Taylor, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande - and I couldn't name many (if any) of their songs.

I laugh when I see commercials for award shows - they announce all the names of the performers and i'm like 'Who???".  

3 minutes ago, UnapologeticRebel said:

The whole pop music scene is just gone at the moment.  It's all tired and repetitive beats by DJ's with "singers" who have no face, no personality, and certainly aren't worthy of being in a tabloid.  I was just talking about this the other day and how I might have heard a song or two by chance, I would have no idea who actually "sings" it.  I don't watch a lot of TV but when I do and I pass by a show about celebrities it's mostly reality TV stars mixed in with a few recognizable names - it's horrible.  

Even the bigger names aren't selling what they used to and concert ticket sales are slower than before.  We are in desperate need of a new sound, a new image, someone who actually has something to say.  Also, is anyone else sick of the whole song/dance routine?  I mean, it's always the same thing - sexy outfit, back up dancers, electronic music - repeat.  

Maybe it's my age (i'm heading towards 35), but i'm finding myself moving away from pop music unless it's coming from someone who's already established and not from the new generation - these people don't appeal to me at all (Rihanna, Taylor, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande - and I couldn't name many (if any) of their songs.

I laugh when I see commercials for award shows - they announce all the names of the performers and i'm like 'Who???".  

I'm 21 and agree with everything you said :thumbsup:

The 2010's were the worst decade musically for me. Very little diversity and soulless genres like EDM and Trap gaining an abundance of popularity :sick:

7 minutes ago, Marco said:

I'm 21 and agree with everything you said :thumbsup:

The 2010's were the worst decade musically for me. Very little diversity and soulless genres like EDM and Trap gaining an abundance of popularity :sick:

Ok, maybe it's not an age thing than - haha.  Maybe money in the industry is a problem?  Concert ticket prices sky rocketed about 10 years ago since albums weren't really making any money and now we are seeing prices getting officially reduced from the official ticket seller as shows get closer to the date of the event - everyone has hit their limit as to what their willing to pay.  

Anyway, what's considered talent and celebrity in this day and age is a joke - youtube stars and reality show winners and runner up's are ruling the industry and when they fade the public moves on to someone else - instantly.  I mean, one 30 minute entertainment daily news show on TV can spend 10 minutes talking about a Kardashian?  That's what excites people now, not pop stars.   

4 minutes ago, UnapologeticRebel said:

Ok, maybe it's not an age thing than - haha.  Maybe money in the industry is a problem?  Concert ticket prices sky rocketed about 10 years ago since albums weren't really making any money and now we are seeing prices getting officially reduced from the official ticket seller as shows get closer to the date of the event - everyone has hit their limit as to what their willing to pay.  

Anyway, what's considered talent and celebrity in this day and age is a joke - youtube stars and reality show winners and runner up's are ruling the industry and when they fade the public moves on to someone else - instantly.  I mean, one 30 minute entertainment daily news show on TV can spend 10 minutes talking about a Kardashian?  That's what excites people now, not pop stars.   

Kim K doesn't bother me much but I think it's pathetic how much devotion people dedicate to her as well as the whole family. I had no interest in knowing 3 members of the Kardashians are pregnant and ended up finding that out cause it was aired on actual news channels. I mean, what the fuck people? Leave that shit for E! News only :blink:

I'd also add that wives of football players and contestants from dating shows have become interesting for some reason. Like, who actually wants to take the time to give a shit about these bland, uninteresting and vapid individuals? Are they idolized by people my age? Is that why everyone is so overly sensitive these days? :wacko:

Actually yea, I’d imagine that Kylie Jenner girl sells more lipstick than Beyoncé sells music.

Just now, Toni said:

Actually yea, I’d imagine that Kylie Jenner girl sells more lipstick than Beyoncé sells music.

Even her sister's elevator fight with Jay-Z has made more of an impact than her last 10 singles 

1 minute ago, Marco said:

Even her sister's elevator fight with Jay-Z has made more of an impact than her last 10 singles 

Iconic! :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, UnapologeticRebel said:

I feel the same way, but you have to remember that the '80s also felt similar. Yes, we have Michael and Madonna and Whitney, but think of all the faceless voices and one-hit wonders. I think about all of the anonymous dance-pop hits that were played between M's songs. I just think things are cyclical and change frequently. I'm sure there will be another shift soon.

13 minutes ago, vocalism said:

I feel the same way, but you have to remember that the '80s also felt similar. Yes, we have Michael and Madonna and Whitney, but think of all the faceless voices and one-hit wonders. I think about all of the anonymous dance-pop hits that were played between M's songs. I just think things are cyclical and change frequently. I'm sure there will be another shift soon.

Yes, that's true - but we still had superstars despite that.  The industry just doesn't work the same way anymore.  I really don't know if it's even possible for an up and coming artist to have a  career like Madonna even if they are talented - I'm not so sure anyones career could even remotely resemble some of the icons that we had in the past (and those who are still present today) because the world we live in and the way we get our entertainment is completely different.  I definitely need new music and something exciting to happen in the pop scene.  

1 hour ago, Marco said:

Kim K doesn't bother me much but I think it's pathetic how much devotion people dedicate to her as well as the whole family. I had no interest in knowing 3 members of the Kardashians are pregnant and ended up finding that out cause it was aired on actual news channels. I mean, what the fuck people? Leave that shit for E! News only :blink:

I'd also add that wives of football players and contestants from dating shows have become interesting for some reason. Like, who actually wants to take the time to give a shit about these bland, uninteresting and vapid individuals? Are they idolized by people my age? Is that why everyone is so overly sensitive these days? :wacko:

Ugh, yeah, the wives reality shows - this has taken over the female pop star obsession.  Anything that can be a new funny GIF is more exciting than a dance song/routine or actual art. 

Agree.  Worst era in music ever.  What the hell happened to the other worldly mega stars?  They don't exist anymore.  Everyone on top 40 right now is so dull and disposable.  No one stands out.  At all.