MadonnaNation.com Forums
karbatal

Is there any successful female pop singer nowadays???

Keep in mind that Rebel Heart has sold around 240k in the US:

Demi Lovato's Confident album released in 2015 has sold around 235k. Her 2017 album has sold about 50k so far

The 2015 Selena Gomez release Revival has sold about 415k.

Ariana Grande's 2016 Dangerous Woman album has sold about 325k. (bless her cuz I do think she's a wonderful person and she's clearly a massive M loon)

Even "veteran" Rihanna's latest has only sold a little over 600k

Excluding Rihanna, between the other three artists altogether they have less than 20 top ten hits. None of them have any special sort of star quality.....they're all pretty but look like any girl you'd see at the mall or something. Nothing distinctive about them. Really puts things into perspective. 

The 00s was also pretty shit let's be real! From early 00s' teen pop to the dated RnB/Rap sound in 2002-2005 to Timbaland's recycled beats in 2006-2008 to the dusty EDM trend in 2008-2009. No thanks!

7 minutes ago, loowee said:

The 00s was also pretty shit let's be real! From early 00s' teen pop to the dated RnB/Rap sound in 2002-2005 to Timbaland's recycled beats in 2006-2008 to the dusty EDM trend in 2008-2009. No thanks!

:thumbsup: Was/is the worst.

Thank goodness for the "old" divas like Madonna and Cher in the late 90's and early 00's.....I wasn't feeling the early Britney, Christina, Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore etc pop of that time.....I didn't start to tune back in again until around the time In The Zone and Love Angel Music Baby. Then of course Loose, Fergie's solo debut, Rihanna started releasing banger after banger, Blackout and yes, even Gaga had a couple decent tunes early on. Now though, I can't even find anything as good as Loose....much less the "next ROL" by a current diva.

Just now, Kurt420 said:

Thank goodness for the "old" divas like Madonna and Cher in the late 90's and early 00's.....I wasn't feeling the early Britney, Christina, Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore etc pop of that time.....I didn't start to tune back in again until around the time In The Zone and Love Angel Music Baby. Then of course Loose, Fergie's solo debut, Rihanna started releasing banger after banger, Blackout and yes, even Gaga had a couple decent tunes early on. Now though, I can't even find anything as good as Loose....much less the "next ROL" by a current diva.

maybe Lana, but she has a totally different sound and image, she is not the classic pop princess

1 minute ago, promise to try said:

maybe Lana, but she has a totally different sound and image, she is not the classic pop princess

I respect at least she's not one of the herd like the others but personally, I just can't seem to get into her. I haven't given her latest album a real spin yet....I've listened to a couple tracks though and they aren't bad but not sure if I can do a full album by her. I did give her earlier ones a fair shot and I was nearly ready to swallow a bottle of pills by the time I was finished. I do like the atmosphere of a lot of her songs though....they're sonically interesting for sure. I have to put her on the same list as Bjork for me. I want so badly to like them and I've given them fair shots but something just does not click for me with them. I'm transfixed when first starting to listen to their albums but somewhere down the line I just get bored and tune out. 

The overall 10s pop culture has sucked big time so far but I definitely prefer the some of the 10s pop girl albums over Britney/Bey/Rih/JLo/J. Simpson's awful records from last decade. This decade we have albums like 4, 1989, ANTI, Born To Die which I think are pretty top-notched. Even pure pop records like Body Talk, Aphrodite, Flesh Tone, Teenage Dream, LOUD, Dangerous Woman etc. are great compared to the ones in the 00s. 

I think the best songs/albums this entire century were best from 2008-2013-ish when there was the closest thing to a mix of everything on the radio and charts (EDM, post disco/funk, old school soul, Euro pop, pop, rock/pop, etc.) Adele and Katys albums then were pop perfection. Most of us feel the same way about Gaga *now but that first album and most of the songs were def. good. I did like her but it's been the polar opposite since Artpoop. The music and her entire demeanor totally changed. 2013 was the peak. Many contemporary yet throwback sounding, fun, catchy songs. Then a year or two later everything reverted back to the bland, disposable shit (esp the full blast return of vapid awful r&b, rap and hip hop). 

Vocalism, luv,  know you're lurking, circulating around nearby but spare me and all of us your verbal seizures, tics or whatever of you claiming/insisting that I always loved Gaga, never liked Katy (tick tock...before you copy/paste a random posts of mine in your archives from 2012), Adele flopped in 2017 or some other horseshit inaccurate 'facts'.:smug::lmao:

1 hour ago, loowee said:

Thank you!!!! 🍵

For me, only Lana and Rihanna were IT girls of this decade.

She makes money but her album sucks and she is a terrible performer/live singer. 

On 1/2/2018 at 1:05 PM, Kilt said:

The musical landscape of today is like a Facebook feed and the attention span is nonexistent. So, prepare for more one hit wonders and pre-packaged artists.

Perfectly stated.

I also have a theory that Drag queens are actually substituting The pop princess for a lot of young gays. Which is great coz they are more part of the community 

Yes. 

None is on the league of M tbh. This makes totally sense tho.

They say it will take another 100 years before another Einstein will be born. Same goes with M imo.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of successfull pop princesses nowadays. Among them, Ariana is clearly a spotlight.

:boxing:

On 1/3/2018 at 8:44 AM, Kurt420 said:

Keep in mind that Rebel Heart has sold around 240k in the US:

Demi Lovato's Confident album released in 2015 has sold around 235k. Her 2017 album has sold about 50k so far  64.6 million

The 2015 Selena Gomez release Revival has sold about 415k.  132 million

Ariana Grande's 2016 Dangerous Woman album has sold about 325k. (bless her cuz I do think she's a wonderful person and she's clearly a massive M loon)  116 million

Even "veteran" Rihanna's latest has only sold a little over 600k

Excluding Rihanna, between the other three artists altogether they have less than 20 top ten hits. None of them have any special sort of star quality.....they're all pretty but look like any girl you'd see at the mall or something. Nothing distinctive about them. Really puts things into perspective. 

The crazy part is their sales vs. something like their Instagram followers, which I added next to each above.  I guess that's how you measure popularity these days.  Imagine how many Madonna would have had back in the 80's? ;) 

132 million instagram followers...and it amounts to nothing.

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

132 million instagram followers...and it amounts to nothing.

Yep.  Goes to show you how meaningless it all is.

One day, radio will stop playing them.... the way they treated Madonna...

And then record companies will drop them. But how do record companies make money out of the Selena’s and Demi’s of the pop world? Pop videos and recording studio time/producers is not cheap.

On 3.1.2018 at 4:06 PM, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

I think the best songs/albums this entire century were best from 2008-2013-ish when there was the closest thing to a mix of everything on the radio and charts (EDM, post disco/funk, old school soul, Euro pop, pop, rock/pop, etc.)

Oh yes, this was the last time I was really into some artists, Ladyhawke, MGMT, Beach House and couple of others. Feels like decades ago already. 

There is always Yoko. What a performance :lol:

24 minutes ago, Mmmmm said:

And then record companies will drop them. But how do record companies make money out of the Selena’s and Demi’s of the pop world? Pop videos and recording studio time/producers is not cheap.

I guess producers and writers are getting far less money nowadays too. 

Radio stations pay a lot of money to get the rights to play songs. Maybe that's where the money is nowadays? 

8 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

There is always Yoko. What a performance :lol:

:lol:

Yoko = queen of the decade, :rotfl: