Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
karbatal

Is there any successful female pop singer nowadays???

Recommended Posts

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 8:01 AM, jonski43 said:

Certainly a big shift in tastes but Jarvis Cocker said that music has become like a scented candle. It just sets a mood.

It's just like the backing track to people's social media accounts

I think this is the issue.

That, and the fact that there's a whole generation that are terrified of their own feelings, heavily medicated by actual medication or by numbing addictions like alcohol, overwork, tv and social media, and live in a childlike extended adolescence until they are thirty.

I was thinking the other day how genuinely bitter anger is so rare to hear in a song nowadays. My parents loved big hits like Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, just as I loved You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette and many grunge songs. The closest that current youth can handle is focus-grouped, corporate-approved diet anger in songs like Hello by Adele or U & Ur Hand by Pink.

I think there's a new generation that is emotionally unsophisticated, and music is an artform about emotions, so spot the problem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bitch I'm Christian said:

I think this is the issue.

That, and the fact that there's a whole generation that are terrified of their own feelings, heavily medicated by actual medication or by numbing addictions like alcohol, overwork, tv and social media, and live in a childlike extended adolescence until they are thirty.

I was thinking the other day how genuinely bitter anger is so rare to hear in a song nowadays. My parents loved big hits like Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, just as I loved You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette and many grunge songs. The closest that current youth can handle is focus-grouped, corporate-approved diet anger in songs like Hello by Adele or U & Ur Hand by Pink.

I think there's a new generation that is emotionally unsophisticated, and music is an artform about emotions, so spot the problem!

Yes, great points Christian. You Oughta know was a classic angry break up song.  Alanis did brittle genuine hurt anger properly.  Today's angry break up songs are like trite little temper tantrums. 

I also think "somebody that I used to know" was such a huge song a few years back because it went against the grain. Great melody,  deeper contradictory lyrics and unusual musical backing. It was over played to death in the end but was a taste of melody driven songs with different lyrics.   I am hopeful that melodic and emotionally driven pop will return. Hopefully by Madonna who does it better than anyone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didnt think of that song @Jazzy Jan but you're absolutely right, Somebody... is one of those genuinely bitter and emotional hit songs! Maybe it was a huge hit because it had cross-generational appeal too. It had a complex emotional story to tell, I loved it the first 70 times I heard it! :angel:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, vocalism said:

Yes, I've read it. Rebel Saviour mentioned both TS and Adele and you replied "Nah..she flopped." It was unclear who you were referring to since Adele's album was also front-loaded. 

Um..okay...again, you really thought I was talking about Adele? :lmao::doh: In what way, in what part of the world, sales, charts etc..was Adele and her last album from *2015* (aka 2.5 years ago)  "front-loaded" or relevant to female singers we're talking about from TODAY (aka 2017/18)? :britwtf:Already wasted too much unnecessary time/energy on this. I fully get it. It's just so easy to have visions of you wearing these granny glasses working in a library getting fulfillment busting someone for chewing gum, talking, passing notes, doing the slightest thing etc... Fact you're from NYC makes it all  and easier to picture lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Music isn't consumed now as it was in the past. It just background noise by some anonymous person. It all started when MTV stopped playing music videos. I blame them for fucking up music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, karbatal said:

If I Were a Boy and Halo were VERY VERY BIG HITS. I don't like Yolanda but she has like 5 very big hits. 

You could expect more from her, of course, being like 200 years in business with like 25 albums, you know...

Oh, by the way, it seems that SHAKIRA really had a great year with that latin album she released. My best friend told me today that the album was a megahit and her best selling album in all her career. I had zero idea :rotfl:It reminds me to when I discovered that La Bicicleta was one of her biggest hits and a real hit in Spain and I never had listened to it, hahahaha. 

I fucking hate La Bicicleta and Chantaje. Shakira made great Spanish music in the 90's and even her first 2 English albums were good but she's been stale for a decade now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes, great points Christian. You Oughta know was a classic angry break up song.  Alanis did brittle genuine hurt anger properly.  Today's angry break up songs are like trite little temper tantrums. 

I also think "somebody that I used to know" was such a huge song a few years back because it went against the grain. Great melody,  deeper contradictory lyrics and unusual musical backing. It was over played to death in the end but was a taste of melody driven songs with different lyrics.   I am hopeful that melodic and emotionally driven pop will return. Hopefully by Madonna who does it better than anyone.

Somebody That I Used to Know was one of the very few hits I enjoyed this decade. I revisited the other day on Spotify and it's such a well written, melody driven break-up ballad.

I'm so saturated from these low budget Instagram models overtaking music. Hopefully next year they'll all flop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

about bey.. since her 2013 album radio stations in my country keep pushing her and now she's being mentioned like she's some superstar. I swear I never heard a song from her (except for like once a year) before that. she also wasn't really the performer to see on stage either. she was more of an American singer, like Mariah or idk.. maybe even a Gwen Stefani or Paula Abdul. it all changed overnight and people just went along. Europe is following America so much lately in terms of music, entertainment, movies, and celebrity in general. all the "hip" stations (even the alternative ones) play horrible hip hop from today saying it's the best shit. Pukeville

btw, Somebody that I used to know had an amazing mix that one of the DJs (maybe aokenfold or solveig) played in the MDNA tour preshow. Found it once but never again. I like it even better than the original. truly magical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a film today and Beyogourt was there!!!  The Pink Panter.  The film is hilarious :lol:.  Loved it. The only absurd part is Yogurlard. 

She played a singer (what else would this corporate robot play)  and sang like two songs.  My God those songs are the most forgettable tunes in the music history :rotfl:

Imagine Madonna landing a role and performing something like One More Chance?????? Just think of the monster hits that came from Madonna's films!  

Oh and Bey played the part of a singer whose husband cheated on her :lmao:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Um..okay...again, you really thought I was talking about Adele? :lmao::doh: In what way, in what part of the world, sales, charts etc..was Adele and her last album from *2015* (aka 2.5 years ago)  "front-loaded" or relevant to female singers we're talking about from TODAY (aka 2017/18)? :britwtf:Already wasted too much unnecessary time/energy on this. I fully get it. It's just so easy to have visions of you wearing these granny glasses working in a library getting fulfillment busting someone for chewing gum, talking, passing notes, doing the slightest thing etc... Fact you're from NYC makes it all  and easier to picture lol. 

I'm not the one who brought up Adele. I asked a simple question and you answered. No need to go on and on like a crazy person. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, vocalism said:

No clue. Try Wikipedia or the Beyonce thread.

Nah, too lazy and franky, shes so bland im not THAT interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, vocalism said:

I'm not the one who brought up Adele. I asked a simple question and you answered. No need to go on and on like a crazy person. Thanks!

:lmao: Um.. yes U did. I did NOT bring up or even thought about Adele prior to your clunky junky post. So...'how' else did she possibly get all entangled into this train wreck-ish dialogue/ thread  that YOU (and you know it) started!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

:lmao: Um.. yes U did. I did NOT bring up or even thought about Adele prior to your clunky junky post. So...'how' else did she possibly get all entangled into this train wreck-ish dialogue/ thread  that YOU (and you know it) started!? 

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 5.26.06 PM.png

Just stop already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASHANTI 

<3

im looking forward to listen to her new extravaganza comeback album in 2018 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 5:30 PM, vocalism said:

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 5.26.06 PM.png

Just stop already.

:sick: You reek from a lurking stalker who can't take no for answer.  Like a crazy person...you keep doing the same thing over/over w/ no difference in the outcome. You actually took the time to take a screen shot of the quote this time. :scared: How crafty. Doesn't make you less incorrect or f'king annoying :lmao:

Where in the entire post you're clearly OCD-ing over do I say a single word about Adele? If you 'struggle a bit' w/ comprehension skills I'll assist you this one time 'cause it's a new year as a good deed. Part of the other posters post said 'Adele hasn't flopped..yet'. I said 'nah she flopped'. The 'she' was in reference to Taylor under-performing from the same post. Rest of my entire post backed the statement up. Okaay? :doofus:Or you need it explained 3 more x but worded differently :think:?  Think u need to go outside and befriend or bang a tree, a snowman or whatever asap! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, vocalism said:

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 5.26.06 PM.png

Just stop already.

He was actually talking about Taylor if you carefully read the sentence. He even said something similar multiple times in her thread. She’s the one “big star” who released an album recently after all and Adele hasn’t put out anything since 2015.

Lighten up! It’s supposed to be a fun thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will never be another Madonna.

The way music is discovered and sold now is so different that the "megastars" don't really exist anymore. Trends come and go quicker than ever. You could sell millions of albums one year and be a nobody next year. While this has always existed, I feel like career declines were slower in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The musical landscape of today is like a Facebook feed and the attention span is nonexistent. So, prepare for more one hit wonders and pre-packaged artists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

I feel like career declines were slower in the past.

I'm not so sure.

In the past you could have multiple number ones from this album but if your next project underperformed chances were two albums down the line you could find yourself in the "japan release only" club. Ask people like Cyndi, Tiffany and Debbie G. Yet we are stuck with the likes of Gaga.

You also have some acts that you assume should be big based on the media exposure they have yet people don't seem to care. I.e. Demi Lovato who only has 3 top 10 solo singles in a career spanning 10 years already. Where are the hits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

I'm not so sure.

In the past you could have multiple number ones from this album but if your next project underperformed chances were two albums down the line you could find yourself in the "japan release only" club. Ask people like Cyndi, Tiffany and Debbie G. Yet we are stuck with the likes of Gaga.

You also have some acts that you assume should be big based on the media exposure they have yet people don't seem to care. I.e. Demi Lovato who only has 3 top 10 solo singles in a career spanning 10 years already. Where are the hits?

That's true. Maybe it just feels like the decline is faster now because there's so much constant new music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 8:45 PM, Flip The Switch said:

Worst decade in music. Truly sad.

Truth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

I'm not so sure.

In the past you could have multiple number ones from this album but if your next project underperformed chances were two albums down the line you could find yourself in the "japan release only" club. Ask people like Cyndi, Tiffany and Debbie G. Yet we are stuck with the likes of Gaga.

You also have some acts that you assume should be big based on the media exposure they have yet people don't seem to care. I.e. Demi Lovato who only has 3 top 10 solo singles in a career spanning 10 years already. Where are the hits?

Yes.  Artists lasted far less before.  That's why the deal was for three albums.  Normally in 90% of the cases the third one was already a cheap hits compilation. And in the other 10% the cheap compilation was the fourth.  

How many artists from the 80s and 90s can we name with a successful fourth album???????  only LEGENDS.  

Nowadays people have like six albums and they're promoted nonstop even if their last hit was eight years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, impr3ssive_instant said:

 

The way music is discovered and sold now is so different that the "megastars" don't really exist anymore. Trends come and go quicker than ever. You could sell millions of albums one year and be a nobody next year. While this has always existed, I feel like career declines were slower in the past.

The companies don´t invest in new artists as they used to, because they don´t have big profits from music.They don´t even sell millions of albums anymore, they have millions of views on youtube or in spotify.I son´t know if that gives the companies enough money to care about building a career. a flop from a big name in the 90s could have been... I don´t know, 3 million copies worldwide? 2 million copies sold? nowadays with that amount of copies you are in the years top ten of the big sellers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×