MadonnaNation.com Forums
Hector

Katy Perry thread: soldiering on despite floppage of Witness era

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The haircut issue is shallow and crazy.  It should never be a factor.  Unfortunately, I have heard it said about her. People I even work with have said they don't like her now because of her hair :gross: 

Exactly. I don't understand why people here are trying to deny that the hair isn't an issue. Physical image is a huge part of a pop girl's career esp for someone like Katy Perry. Her career was already on shaky ground after CTTR lowkey underperformed and the haircut was the nail in the coffin. It's shallow but it is the sad reality. I can't wait to see her this year though. 

No one is denying that image is a big deal for pop stars, esp. female. I mean, c'mon... For me, it's so ridiculous because the haircut and overall look isn't even all that drastic to begin with. Like we haven't all seen this look before? I can see that being a criticism, that she was 'late' to the trend, but as for it being that bad, I mean, get real! We've seen some really ugly shit in the last decade or two...I just can't wrap my head around this particular look being such a deal breaker!? :blink::lmao:

8 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

I vividly remember skipping everything Madonna did when she cut off her hair and she didn't win me back until Like a Prayer. She was my musical crush and I completely hated how she looked with that haircut.

I was 5-6 years old though. I would like to think most people aged with 2 digits go beyond that reasoning.

:lol:

Being only 5 we forgive you 

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

No one is denying that image is a big deal for pop stars, esp. female. I mean, c'mon... For me, it's so ridiculous because the haircut and overall look isn't even all that drastic to begin with. Like we haven't all seen this look before? I can see that being a criticism, that she was 'late' to the trend, but as for it being that bad, I mean, get real! We've seen some really ugly shit in the last decade or two...I just can't wrap my head around this particular look being such a deal breaker!? :blink::lmao:

I used to work at a paging firm and at nights, we would answer for a tv station channel 10.   You would be stunned at the huge amounts of comments about female newsreaders and reporter's hair.  People would ring on mass to complain about hairstyles. A newsreader who normally had a straight bob had curly hair one night and I took massive amounts of calls from people complaining that she cheapened the news and looked unprofessional. Demanded that she changed her hair back.   :lol:  

I don't know why or understand the importance of it but some people get all emotional about people changing their hairstyle or colour !  

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I used to work at a paging firm and at nights, we would answer for a tv station channel 10.   You would be stunned at the huge amounts of comments about female newsreaders and reporter's hair.  People would ring on mass to complain about hairstyles. A newsreader who normally had a straight bob had curly hair one night and I took massive amounts of calls from people complaining that she cheapened the news and looked unprofessional. Demanded that she changed her hair back.   :lol:  

I don't know why or understand the importance of it but some people get all emotional about people changing their hairstyle or colour !  

We only have to remember how many threads about Madonna's hair have been here. 

I never payed atention to those things, but for other people that seems to be very important. Every day here somebody complains that she's have the same length and blond colour since Hard Candy. 

Changing pace from Katy's hair discussion, loved how she named Natalie Imbruglia as her favourite Australian performer and described her as the Neighbours star who become a pop star at the dreaded Logies in 2011 :lol:

19 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The haircut issue is shallow and crazy.  It should never be a factor.  Unfortunately, I have heard it said about her. People I even work with have said they don't like her now because of her hair :gross: Katy has always had a huge following here in Australia and is one of the few celebrities that people genuinely know and talk about. 

I have always enjoyed her music. Think she has made the most catchy true "pop" music of all the Princesses over the past decade. I never see making great pop music as an insult as think it is much harder to achieve than people realise.  So much pop music today is too tuneless and cold. Why songs are not remembered a few years later. Many of Katy's hits are known and remembered.  Why she will and can get over any backlash or under performing etc. 

I  loved her latest album and CTTR was the best song of 2017 for me.  

I have heard the same thing. A friend told me that she used to like her a lot but the new look turned her off. Very intelligent with great taste in music but still the hair is an issue. Go figure. And although it can't be proven I'm certain that if Taylor Swift came back with CTTR it would have been number 1 longer than Despacito.

7 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Changing pace from Katy's hair discussion, loved how she named Natalie Imbruglia as her favourite Australian performer and described her as the Neighbours star who become a pop star at the dreaded Logies in 2011 :lol:

Shade mega shade for Kylie :lol:

Omg I love Katy when I learn things like this hahaha 

On 09/01/2018 at 6:44 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

Pre twitter and social media, I guess this is how strange people who just MUST get their inconsequential opinion about anything and everything over to anyone who'll listen (or won't listen) did their thing...by picking up the phone. The mentality is exactly the same now, except so much simpler to execute. But it's the same types of people that get so upset about these things.

We better hope that Taylor Swift gets a pixie cut then, or Ed Sheeran shaves off his ginger mop....then watch their careers die. If only it were that simple!

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Pre twitter and social media, I guess this is how strange people who just MUST get their inconsequential opinion about anything and everything over to anyone who'll listen (or won't listen) did their thing...by picking up the phone. The mentality is exactly the same now, except so much simpler to execute. But it's the same types of people that get so upset about these things.

We better hope that Taylor Swift gets a pixie cut then, or Ed Sheeran shaves off his ginger mop....then watch their careers die. If only it were that simple!

Re Ed and Taylor - Bring it on !  Should advise Ed to go for the shaved look asap :lol:

True comparison though to the morons on social media.  Some members of the the GP are certifiable and know everything about nothing but think they are experts.  The absolute crap I had to type on a screen that they were sprouting about was both hilarious and mind numbing. 

14 hours ago, Kim said:

It still happens in newspapers, from example. We get random calls from old readers and the letter section is full of people moaning about weird things. We blame social media about lots of things, but somehow this behaviour is part of human beings. 

Re Taylor, I'm sure that if she got fat, for example, she would lose more than half of her followers. 

Katy Perry’s “Witness,” though it sold more than 840,000 albums, according to BuzzAngle, seemed to struggle to find an audience. How did she finish out the year?
It’s an interesting story. I love her and have forged a great relationship with her. I talk about how engagement is so important and I don’t believe you can have big cycles between projects [as Katy did]. I think that’s changed. And so you sit down and have tough conversations with her and management. As successful as you’ve been, you learn. Personally I’ve learned more from our mistakes than our successes and I believe our artists are in the same category as that. But she has a plan, and we have a plan, and I feel good about it.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/steve-barnett-capitol-interview-katy-perry-niall-horan-1202660297/

Her “plan”just leaked:

26B1_1.jpg

8 minutes ago, spotlight said:

Her “plan”just leaked:

26B1_1.jpg

:lmao:YEAH! She’s gonna grow her hair, great plan lol

840.000 is still not a bad number

17 minutes ago, spotlight said:

Her “plan”just leaked:

26B1_1.jpg

:dead:

no lies detected 

3 hours ago, spotlight said:

Her “plan”just leaked:

26B1_1.jpg

:lmao: :thumbsup:

I do feel the previous era wasn't that strong though and we're seeing a slow descent.

I still say Roar was a very dull lead single and subsequent singles I can't even name or sing. Dark horse? 

CTTR would have been a great second single but it lacked real strength as a first single.

I think she's been very lucky with the length of her career but I just feel I don't really know who she is as a person.

The "I have a plan"  thing is the new "We're working on it". 

^ or, we don’t have a fcuking clue what to do next...

57 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I do feel the previous era wasn't that strong though and we're seeing a slow descent.

I still say Roar was a very dull lead single and subsequent singles I can't even name or sing. Dark horse? 

CTTR would have been a great second single but it lacked real strength as a first single.

I think she's been very lucky with the length of her career but I just feel I don't really know who she is as a person.

Roar and Dark Horse were massive here.  Roar will go down as an anthem for years to come. 

I just think we are seeing a decline in female pop artists or even music in general.   The stuff on top 40 as a whole is dire and people are tuning out.  Too busy binging so many good shows where all the creativity seems to be flourishing from right now to care about most new music out there. Lol

The industry as a whole needs an artistic revolution on all levels because it's tired and stale right now.