MadonnaNation.com Forums
Hector

Katy Perry thread: soldiering on despite floppage of Witness era

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Resultado de imagen de katy swish gif

Resultado de imagen de katy rappers gif

:rotfl:I loved the SNL performance but WTF is that second one??

Just now, Bill said:

:rotfl:I loved the SNL performance but WTF is that second one??

That one with those rappers. 

14 hours ago, Kim said:

madonna1987.jpg

"Hells bells! What this here starlet Madonna has to do, is go back to lookin right purty again with her long lustrous locks and purty jewelery and with some flesh on them there bones like she used to! Now she looks like some sorta lesbean or sumpin! She ought to learn from the queen of music Miss Doris Day who back in 1957, was stormin' the charts lookin' right sweet and womanly and with some fantastic music for all the family. The music industry these days is sheeeit! "

- old male Doris Day fan in 1987 with no clue about music trends, hair.... or anything else.

:rotfl::order:

She's a cheesy dork. Never has been shy about it before. So what's so different about it now...?

And I don't see what the issue was with the kid performing with her. The whole thing kind of went viral and kind of 'made' the song a thing for a moment.

Bon apetit! 

Bon apetit baby!! 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Whenever I've spoken to someone younger (around 20) about Witness they say they lost interest because she lost her mind.  What specifically did she do that is making people say this, other than cutting her hair?  Did I miss something?

I think that the GP can't be bothered to look further than Katy's image. No matter how poignant is the message behind the package, it will be ultimately the only thing that matters. People have short attention span these days and they want instant gratification/ explanation; it's as if they no longer have a brain to think and want answers to all questions right away. 

Love this 😍

I think just the fact there's over two pages of discussion over a woman's hairstyle and if it 'destroyed' her career says it all about the society we live. It always goes back to the physical traits of a woman (hair, makeup, shoes, her laugh, her voice, her hair, her outfit) instead of the output they produce or the ideas they have. 

The cards we stacked against Katy with this era from the beginning. The current music trends, her longevity, and the natural backlash that always occurs with every female pop star. This just wasn't her time. She could've shaved her head during the whole Teenage Dream era and those songs STILL would've smashed. 

I do see her in this for the long run tho. She's one of, if not the ONLY,  the genuine mainstream pop stars out there these days. And authenticity matters. 

I can't believe there are people on here who still think Katy's hair is why the album flopped. 

43 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

I think just fact there's over two pages of discussion over a woman's hairstyle and if it 'destroyed' her career says it all about the society we live. It always goes back to the physical traits of a woman (hair, makeup, shoes, her laugh, her voice, her hair, her outfit) instead of the output they produce or the ideas they have. 

The cards we stacked against Katy with this era from the beginning. The current music trends, her longevity, and the natural backlash that always occurs with every female pop star. This just wasn't her time. She could've shaved her head during the whole Teenage Dream era and those songs STILL would've smashed. 

I do see her in this for the long run tho. She's one of, if not the ONLY,  the genuine mainstream pop stars out there these days. And authenticity matters. 

Quite. That it's coming from Madonna fans is just ....perplexing to say the least.

Just now, Kim said:

Quite. That it's coming from Madonna fans is just ....perplexing to say the least.

yes! although I remember not liking her papa don´t preach look and being a little bit mad at her...but I loved the song anyways...

4 hours ago, spazz said:

Love this 😍

Cringe

Looks have always been a part of Ms carreer as well...

Its not just the haircut but her content is too cringe , the styling is off 

1 hour ago, Kim said:

:yes:

5 hours ago, Kilt said:

I think that the GP can't be bothered to look further than Katy's image. No matter how poignant is the message behind the package, it will be ultimately the only thing that matters. People have short attention span these days and they want instant gratification/ explanation; it's as if they no longer have a brain to think and want answers to all questions right away. 

Might be wrong but it seems like millennials have been influenced by the negative press she receives from media.

I read some trendy lgbtq news sites pretty frequently & she’s one of the artists that is signed out as “problematic” by many gay/queer youngish  journalists. Would say noticeably worse than toilet’s coverage which is a bit surprising  to me.

5 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

She's a cheesy dork. Never has been shy about it before. So what's so different about it now...?

And I don't see what the issue was with the kid performing with her. The whole thing kind of went viral and kind of 'made' the song a thing for a moment.

Blame the SJW turds

5 hours ago, Kilt said:

Yeah. Most of her underrated ballads “flop” compared to her upbeat songs. Her album tracks have good lyrics and meaning but they often get underlooked. 

5 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

I think just the fact there's over two pages of discussion over a woman's hairstyle and if it 'destroyed' her career says it all about the society we live. It always goes back to the physical traits of a woman (hair, makeup, shoes, her laugh, her voice, her hair, her outfit) instead of the output they produce or the ideas they have. 

:clap::clap::clap:

4 hours ago, Kim said:

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

Might be wrong but it seems like millennials have been influenced by the negative press she receives from media.

I read some trendy lgbtq news sites pretty frequently & she’s one of the artists that is signed out as “problematic” by many gay/queer youngish  journalists. Would say noticeably worse than toilet’s coverage which is a bit surprising  to me.

There has definitely been a push to discredit and put down Katy.  Mainly happened because of her being outspoken politically.  The outrageous accusations that she is racist and anti gay is pathetic.  She has always had a sort of kooky fun personality as well.  Anyone that is a fan of hers and has seen her interviewed knows that. 

The haircut issue is shallow and crazy.  It should never be a factor.  Unfortunately, I have heard it said about her. People I even work with have said they don't like her now because of her hair :gross: Katy has always had a huge following here in Australia and is one of the few celebrities that people genuinely know and talk about. 

I have always enjoyed her music. Think she has made the most catchy true "pop" music of all the Princesses over the past decade. I never see making great pop music as an insult as think it is much harder to achieve than people realise.  So much pop music today is too tuneless and cold. Why songs are not remembered a few years later. Many of Katy's hits are known and remembered.  Why she will and can get over any backlash or under performing etc. 

I  loved her latest album and CTTR was the best song of 2017 for me.  

I must say, I also love the song Witness. That is all. 

5 hours ago, promise to try said:

yes! although I remember not liking her papa don´t preach look and being a little bit mad at her...but I loved the song anyways...

I vividly remember skipping everything Madonna did when she cut off her hair and she didn't win me back until Like a Prayer. She was my musical crush and I completely hated how she looked with that haircut.

I was 5-6 years old though. I would like to think most people aged with 2 digits go beyond that reasoning.

41 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

I vividly remember skipping everything Madonna did when she cut off her hair and she didn't win me back until Like a Prayer. She was my musical crush and I completely hated how she looked with that haircut.

I was 5-6 years old though. I would like to think most people aged with 2 digits go beyond that reasoning.

Everybody liked her mature look for True Blue era and i mean everybody not only the fans .She was not a bimbo but a strong female by then .One of her best eras and more succesfull than LAV .She totally conquered the world and cimented her megastar status

6 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

👍

4 hours ago, Nick said:

Yep. These types have been on her since the beginning though. She was "problematic" for the song "Ur So Gay", among other things.

I think the commercial dip and the other various backlashes just made it more convenient for that bullshit to stick even more, and for these types to dig their claws in even more so this time around.  Ironic considering there are other pop stars far more worthy of this kind of criticism, but of course, they never get called out like they should...

5 hours ago, Starman said:

Cringe

Looks have always been a part of Ms carreer as well...

Its not just the haircut but her content is too cringe , the styling is off 

The song itself is very catchy 

not too keen on the video