MadonnaNation.com Forums
Hector

Katy Perry thread: soldiering on despite floppage of Witness era

45 minutes ago, IsaacHarris said:

Yikes!

cringeworthy right ?!!!! I think she should act normal and dance like how she is and not predit to be the gangster cool girl from the Bronx. thats J.Lo bish :p

me and @Showdown at the annual MNation reunion

XokrpW.gif

40 minutes ago, jaron said:

cringeworthy right ?!!!! I think she should act normal and dance like how she is and not predit to be the gangster cool girl from the Bronx. thats J.Lo bish :p

She lost it after the first single.  I don't know what happened but from Bon Appetite she behaved even weirder than normal!  

I still think CTTR is maybe her best single.  But clearly her public wanted something else. 

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

She lost it after the first single.  I don't know what happened but from Bon Appetite she behaved even weirder than normal!  

I still think CTTR is maybe her best single.  But clearly her public wanted something else. 

First single was great, but the biggest fault was, her cutting hair short.

Plus, last years SUperbowl showed she acts like a wannabe gangsta when Missy was on stage. I dont like this. Its like Madonna predicts to be a Sarah Brightman, which would sound meeh too.

Is it for me she looks very stiff when she acts liek that or is it normal ? I dont know, but I wish she gets back to her roots and does again nice pop songs

28 minutes ago, jaron said:

First single was great, but the biggest fault was, her cutting hair short.

Yes. People underestimate the impact of this. Or overestimate the U.S. public, at least. A haircut kills tv shows here - Felicity, motherfuckers! 

Please, people, it's time to stop once and for all with this nonsense about her haircut. 🙄 Seriously.

10 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

But in terms of quality, it slayed harder than any other mainstream pop album last year. Also, End of. 

BOOM.

Fuck all this talk about singles. The album is her best work to date.

38 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

Please, people, it's time to stop once and for all with this nonsense about her haircut. 🙄 Seriously.

THIS. 

We squashed that tired conversation multiple times already. Next.

26 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

+1000 :yes:

2 hours ago, Barbie said:

XokrpW.gif

Haha nah im peace no war.

4 hours ago, Barbie said:

XokrpW.gif

I'm in the metallic dress, pretending to break it up  :queenbitch:

As for Katy, the problem is quite simple: SHE'S TRYING TO HARD.

Her whole vibe during the 1st two albums was very effortless & cool. She distinguished herself from other pop sluts with her jet black hair & cute pop tunes, but this Rainbow Brite™️ aesthetic is TIRED, much like her live performances! The music she's been making doesn't showcase her strengths. Just let go, strum your guitar, & sing bitch!

5 hours ago, jaron said:

Yeah, and her haircut sucks :rotfl:

5 hours ago, Martin B. said:

No !

I am not so activley here on this thread. So I write my observations. And if this has been discussed before, just dont read or dont comment what others should not do.

I dont like her haircut. Period.

9 hours ago, Martin B. said:

If a pop princess turns ugly she loses most of her fan base. 

Really,  aren't we all aware which target and fans have these singers??????

19 hours ago, Martin B. said:

Honestly, I think there's truth in that. Her tragic hair turned everyone off. It was like someone flicked a light switch.

She flopped relative to her previous performances but i wouldnt get too dramatic about it. Most singers peak and go down then go up in their careers.

yes @IsaacHarris Katy should go back to her guitar!

For me, PRISM is still her best album :inlove: 

1 hour ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Honestly, I think there's truth in that. Her tragic hair turned everyone off. It was like someone flicked a light switch.

There are one zillion articles floating about the internet about her haircut and countless social media tweets, etc. There was even an article calling her haircut cultural appropriation of black women's style. 

But some want to pretend it's a not easily researchable fantasy. Okay.  

54 minutes ago, 5iVe Elements said:

yes @IsaacHarris Katy should go back to her guitar!

For me, PRISM is still her best album :inlove: 

For me, it’s One of the Boys  :wow:

So now we want her to go back and do what she did before... Isn't that what we rag on all these pop bitches about? That they don't evolve or try anything new?

As much as I know it is shallow, crazy and childish, I think there is some merit in her haircut being a factor. There is so much attention and comments etc about how celebrities look. Women are judged on everything look related. Hair, body, face. More comments about that than their music or personalities. Someone gains or loses weight and it is talked about non stop and they are ridiculed for being too thin or too big.  Pop stars especially are judged on their looks. It is a part of life for celebrities that sadly never really changes. Social media has made image changes even a more big thing for kids. 

Katy is a beautiful looking woman. Always has been. Her short blonde haircut was a major departure from her ultra feminine brunette looks. If she just went blonde as she did in Chained to the Rhythm promotion, it would not have caused a ripple but judging by people's reactions that I know, her new short look was not liked.  

Combined with a media put down of her that I personally think was incredibly noticeable, it went against her. With the criticism of her speaking out politically which I applaud her for,  it added up.  Constant crazy outrages about her being culturally appropriating etc as well. 

I do think Katy will survive. I also think she has as many memorable hit songs previously that people do genuinely love that will give her credits in the bank so to speak. A huge hit single could be around the corner for her in the near future. 

7 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

So now we want her to go back and do what she did before... Isn't that what we rag on all these pop bitches about? That they don't evolve or try anything new?

She can go back to her guitar and make different-sounding songs, not like her OOTB album. In my book, Katy has done away with her guitar for 3 albums (TD, P, W) so it'll be refreshing when she picks it up again.

Besides, I'm not so gung-ho on every pop princess "evolving" or "trying new" in every album. Progress can be minimal and I wouldn't hold it against them as long as the music are good. 

5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

As much as I know it is shallow, crazy and childish, I think there is some merit in her haircut being a factor. There is so much attention and comments etc about how celebrities look. Women are judged on everything look related. Hair, body, face. More comments about that than their music or personalities. Someone gains or loses weight and it is talked about non stop and they are ridiculed for being too thin or too big.  Pop stars especially are judged on their looks. It is a part of life for celebrities that sadly never really changes. Social media has made image changes even a more big thing for kids. 

Katy is a beautiful looking woman. Always has been. Her short blonde haircut was a major departure from her ultra feminine brunette looks. If she just went blonde as she did in Chained to the Rhythm promotion, it would not have caused a ripple but judging by people's reactions that I know, her new short look was not liked.  

Combined with a media put down of her that I personally think was incredibly noticeable, it went against her. With the criticism of her speaking out politically which I applaud her for,  it added up.  Constant crazy outrages about her bring culturally appropriating etc as well. 

I do think Katy will survive. I also think she has as many memorable hit songs previously that people do genuinely love that will give her credits in the bank so to speak. A huge hit single could be around the corner for her in the near future. 

She will survive. It's just one underperforming album after a string of three hit ones. We tend to exaggerate here in MNation (and perhaps other pop fans somewhere too). 

On the good side, this underperforming era of her may be an advantage with her next album. Casuals who didnt know she had songs can miss her and that'll help in building hype for her next era.

18 hours ago, 5iVe Elements said:

She can go back to her guitar and make different-sounding songs, not like her OOTB album. In my book, Katy has done away with her guitar for 3 albums (TD, P, W) so it'll be refreshing when she picks it up again.

Besides, I'm not so gung-ho on every pop princess "evolving" or "trying new" in every album. Progress can be minimal and I wouldn't hold it against them as long as the music are good

Well, that's not the usual dialogue on here, so... :lmao::newspaper:

If Katy had cut her hair and made a dramatic change BUT released a string of big songs and new dance moves,  attitude and revolutionary videos... 

...then she would have gone through her True Blue era.  

Madonna evolved so much,  but always delivering big,  strong and original songs.  Every time she's evolved but songs were subpar there's been a flop, even though we ADORE the album (Erotica and American Life).  

That said, here's a lesson for pop princesses: if you change and evolve,  get at least an album as good as TB, LAP,  or ROL. 

Imagine Madonna had destroyed her iconic LAV look only to release some minor hits????  All the wannabes would've turned their back!!!! 

On 1/6/2018 at 5:35 AM, VogueMusic said:

No one is against pop girls doing re-inventions, but when you reinvent yourself to this:

Image result for katy perry blonde

then you know the era is DOA.