MadonnaNation.com Forums
Hector

Katy Perry thread: soldiering on despite floppage of Witness era

21 minutes ago, S.E.X. said:

Hey Hey Hey wasn’t released as a single. It was JUST the video and that video was a rip-off of her own Perfume commercial (which was miles better).

I think it all boils down to CTTR being a weak lead single and Bone Apple Tit being an even worse follow-up.

The Takis commercial in it was gross, but nobody was stopping Hey X 3 from getting played, official single or not. The song wasn't a fave but actually grew a lot on me. 

I liked CTTR and Bon Appetit, although I probably wouldn't have thought much of the latter without the video. All in all, I agree this was her best.

I just hope she doesn't take a step backward to promote shit on AI, like anew single that sounds like her old shiz. 

Also, the fuck is she even doing AI? She's on tour for the next three months. 

MORE QUESTIONS!!! :) 

CTTR was a worldwide hit.

It was the perfect KP sound in 2017, mature but catchy and in part reminiscent of her old songs. 

She should have kept that mature sound/image for the entire era by making Witness, Tsunami, Roulette singles.

Instead she went for the forced funny side of herself and nobody was here for that. 

I LOVE Bon Appetit and its video but SS and HHH were messes even tho I love the songs.

Her image is what hurt her the most this time around. 

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

It was the perfect KP sound in 2017, mature but catchy and in part reminiscent of her old songs. 

She should have kept that mature sound/image for the entire era by making Witness, Tsunami, Roulette singles.

Instead she went for the forced funny side of herself and nobody was here for that. 

I LOVE Bon Appetit and its video but SS and HHH were messes even tho I love the songs.

yes, she should stop belittling herself or making fun of herself...just be normal as always and success will come back again

The whole “making fun of Britney” garbage at the Grammys hurt her image as well, especially when the bottom feeders made it an issue.

CTTR was the perfect lead single, but following it with the woeful BA was what killed everything.

14 hours ago, Bretticus said:

The whole “making fun of Britney” garbage at the Grammys hurt her image as well, especially when the bottom feeders made it an issue.

CTTR was the perfect lead single, but following it with the woeful BA was what killed everything.

Not really because everyone makes fun of 2007 Britney. Nobody cares about the fact that she allegedly had mental health issues. I didn’t even know she had any until recently.

So yeah that certainly wasn’t the reason she flopped. 

I think another problem with pop girls is also that Urban, Rap, Hip Hop and male artists are considered more “cool” and less “gay” by the kids of today. It’s this underlying homophobia and the fear of being viewed as gay and lame for listening to pop music and people like Katy Perry and shit.

No,  Kids have always loved pop music.  The Girls are simply not delivering at the moment like they were a few years back with pop anthems that appeal to the GP.  Things will turn around again.  

1 hour ago, S.E.X. said:

Not really because everyone makes fun of 2007 Britney. Nobody cares about the fact that she allegedly had mental health issues. I didn’t even know she had any until recently.

So yeah that certainly wasn’t the reason she flopped. 

The media went at Katy about that though, and when the media aren't on your side, sheep follow and start to go off you (as Madonna fans we know that all too well!).

She’ll record a new and safer album while doing American idol. She will release a sure fire pop hit on Spotify and iTunes and premiere it on the AI finale just to remind ppl she still is a hit maker.. She’ll  switch up her look again (maybe even go back to her beautiful long black locks.  12 months from now she could be back on top of the charts. 

7 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

I think another problem with pop girls is also that Urban, Rap, Hip Hop and male artists are considered more “cool” and less “gay” by the kids of today. It’s this underlying homophobia and the fear of being viewed as gay and lame for listening to pop music and people like Katy Perry and shit.

Kids today are more accepting of being gay though, and more open minded, so I don't think this is necessarily true. I also think hip hop in general is less homophobic now.

Pop girls aren't selling like they used to because people are bored of them. It's really that simple.

That's a cycle. It's always the same, always like that. 

On 14/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

No,  Kids have always loved pop music.  The Girls are simply not delivering at the moment like they were a few years back with pop anthems that appeal to the GP.  Things will turn around again.  

Thank you. 

Nowadays everything is explained as some conspiracy while in fact there's a lack of big songs.  I am sure things will change soon too.. 

I don't know if it's just the girls not delivering though. The men of popular music may be topping the charts right now...but the music isn't any better. In fact, much of it is worse. :vomit:

I think it's just the pop culture cycle at play. We had a good number of years with pop females all over the place. It's fizzled out, and the men are getting their turn. And then it will shift again...to who knows what.

But musically, the whole of pop music needs an arm up the ass.

On 2/16/2018 at 9:11 AM, karbatal said:

Thank you. 

Nowadays everything is explained as some conspiracy while in fact there's a lack of big songs.  I am sure things will change soon too.. 

Songs just don't have catchy hooks these days.  For a period between 2007 ish to 2012/2013 about?   I was loving alot of stuff on top 40 radio.  It really is all trash now.

On 2/14/2018 at 3:15 AM, Orion said:

Agree. She should’ve owned up the new & mature sound.