Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Camacho

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:56 AM, Nightshade said:

Years of brainwashing by conservative media. I know it's a tired defense, but I know so many family members glued to Fox & Friends.

It really is brainwashing… I usually only post in the charts section here, but I have to get something off my chest: So I haven't been to the US since almost 15 years (I am from Germany by the way), but was able to visit friends in Knoxville and Charlotte this summer.

The thing that irks me is how people got manipulated by the media in the USA about the situation in other countries. The right wing media and the president paint an apocalyptic image of the security situation in Germany, Sweden and other liberal countries in Europe...

I found it frustrating to argue against those opinions. Opinions that the US president is falsely spreading on twitter even in 2018, for example that crime in Germany is "way up" (the numbers tell a different story) or "look at what's happening in Sweden", etc... and people buy it... that's what's frustrating me... when people in a country with probably one of the highest crime rates in the world (USA) tell you, they are concerned about your well-being, because Europe has become such a dark and dangerous place… quite a few People in the US really do believe that… and you can't even argue against it, because they are so brainwashed… 

Though I love the USA... Dollywood is just heaven! 😄

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trump-job-approval-weekly.aspx

Fking FINALLY he's back under 40% (39% approve 56% disapprove) after waay too months of being consistently into the lower to even mid 40s. :ugh:Still too high!! She's a horrid human being but at this moment go Omarossa! lool. She's slicing him up HARD all over the media. Sorry but I'm absolutely loving it (long as he's actually not IN on it). Wouldnt shock me :#  

Delusional sleazy wench! :sour:

NBC News: WATCH: Kellyanne Conway, a senior adviser to President Trump: "Why is everybody so obsessed with the president of the United States that they can't even begin or finish a sentence without mentioning his name five times? It's kind of weird."

13 hours ago, Magician said:

Delusional sleazy wench! :sour:

NBC News: WATCH: Kellyanne Conway, a senior adviser to President Trump: "Why is everybody so obsessed with the president of the United States that they can't even begin or finish a sentence without mentioning his name five times? It's kind of weird."

The thing about this monster is that she is pretty incredible at what she does. She can spin and lie and spew garbage without any kind of hesitation. She does it with a smile. She has ZERO regard for facts and is able to NOT answer questions better than any official I've ever seen. 

What's REALLY unfortunate is that she sold her soul to her Trump without a second thought. She USED to be a very respectable and reputable conservative analyst and pollster. And while I didn't agree with anything she stood for, she used to be one of the 'better' republicans out there when she was giving her commentary. 

I hope she's happy with the money she's making while she walks this earth. It won't come in handy when she rots in hell. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/dark-day-trump-darkest-day-presidency-watergate-n902726

A dark day for Trump. The darkest day for the presidency since Watergate.

ANALYSIS: Two of the president's former associates were in court Tuesday. Both guilty of multiple felonies. What happened to draining the swamp?

by Jonathan Allen / Aug.21.2018 / 9:11 PM ET

180821-donald-trump-rally-podium-ac-832p

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — There hasn't been a darker moment for a president — or for the presidency — since Richard Nixon resigned on the verge of impeachment in 1974.

On Tuesday, Michael Cohen, the president's longtime fixer and former personal lawyer, pleaded guilty to felony crimes that included illegally paying women hush money to help Donald Trump win the presidency in 2016. Most important, he said he did so at Trump's direction.

In other words, Trump cheated to win the White House, according to one of his closest former associates.

Cohen's admissions were so damaging for the president, both legally and politically, that his lawyer Rudy Giuliani could point only to the lack of an indictment directly against Trump as the good news. "There is no allegation of any wrongdoing against the president in the government’s charges against Mr. Cohen," Giuliani said.

Cohen's plea was just one of several punishing blows delivered Tuesday to Trump's narrative that he and his allies came to Washington to "drain the swamp" of corruption. The others: Paul Manafort, the president's onetime campaign chairman, was convicted on eight counts of bank and tax fraud, and Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., an early endorser of Trump for president, was indicted on federal charges that he violated campaign finance law.

"The president is clearly guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors," New York Times columnist Bret Stephens, a conservative, wrote on Twitter after the Cohen plea. "He should resign his office or be impeached and removed from office." Stephens has been a frequent critic of Trump but had not previously called for his removal.

The allegation that the president not only knew about but directed criminal activity takes the country back to the Nixon days, when the central questions were what the president knew and when he knew it about the cover-up of the Watergate break-in. And the comparisons are sure to fill airwaves across the country in the coming days and weeks.

It is possible all of this could have come at a worse time for Trump and his fellow Republicans — it could have happened a week before the midterm elections in November, as the GOP tries to keep control of the House and Senate. But even three months before voters go to the polls is too close for comfort for congressional Republicans.

Regardless of whether Trump is ever charged with anything — and many lawyers argue a president can't be indicted while in office — voters will get to render their verdict on whether Republicans in Congress have done enough to investigate allegations that Trump subverted a free and fair election.

And when they look at the Trump operation, they will see that the president surrounded himself not with "only the best," as he has long claimed, but with several convicted criminals.

In addition to Cohen and Manafort, Trump's national security adviser, Michael Flynn, deputy campaign manager Rick Gates, and campaign adviser George Papadopoulos have all pleaded guilty to felonies. Rep. Chris Collins, R-N.Y., a political ally, has been indicted on charges related to insider trading.

Not everyone in Trump's base is quick to excuse those around him.

"If you do something wrong, there ought to be consequences for it — no matter who you are," said Dan Cooley, a 43-year-old forester from central West Virginia said at a Trump political rally here on Tuesday night, adding that he didn't think the wrongdoing of others reflected poorly on the president himself.

Whatever the case, voters will render the next verdict on Trump and his allies, and they will do so with Tuesday's events fresh in their minds. They will know the president stands accused by his own former fixer of breaking the law to win the White House.

It wasn't just a bad day for Trump, it was a historically awful day for the presidency.

But is this REALLY a big deal? Really? Do his supporters care? FoxNews had the story of the girl who was (tragically) killed by an illegal immigrant in Iowa as their top story last night. And while it is indeed a tragedy, for them to brush the Manafort and Cohen stories under the rug just goes to show the lengths they’ll protect and insulate him. And they reach millions of people on a daily basis. 

So, I’ll be curious to see if this really moves the needle. I mean, I’ve said it time and time again, if his behavior over the last 70-some years hasn’t turned people off by now, nothing really will. They believe, despite how abominable he is, that he’s still better than the alternative - LIBERALS. 

On 8/22/2018 at 4:57 AM, KalamazooJay said:

But is this REALLY a big deal? Really? Do his supporters care? FoxNews had the story of the girl who was (tragically) killed by an illegal immigrant in Iowa as their top story last night. And while it is indeed a tragedy, for them to brush the Manafort and Cohen stories under the rug just goes to show the lengths they’ll protect and insulate him. And they reach millions of people on a daily basis. 

So, I’ll be curious to see if this really moves the needle. I mean, I’ve said it time and time again, if his behavior over the last 70-some years hasn’t turned people off by now, nothing really will. They believe, despite how abominable he is, that he’s still better than the alternative - LIBERALS. 

To more than half of this country, yes, it's a huge deal.

We need to stop seeing everything through the lens of his base someday waking up. It's a cult. Most likely they're never going to see the light.

But for the historical record...for the straight up facts...for the rest of us, it does matter. Even if he's never impeached, the facts still matter.

12 hours ago, Magician said:

Didn’t she win the popular vote by 5 mill? In any EU country she would have won. He should thank the medieval USA election system. And he should be reminded after any such statement! Wait he is interviewed by fox journalists only so it won’t happen...

8 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

To more than half of this country, yes, it's a huge deal.

We need to stop seeing everything through the lens of his base someday waking up. It's a cult. Most likely they're never going to see the light.

But for the historical record...for the straight up facts...for the rest of us, it does matter. Even if he's never impeached, the facts still matter.

Of course I’m in the category that believes it’s a huge deal. It’s an unprecedented situation. And in a functioning democracy with a functioning national press, impeachment papers may very well start being drafted. 

I was more or less speaking from the point of view of a Trump supporter when I was asking if it were a “big deal”. Because it’s prerty obvious his “base” doesn’t think it is. NOTHING is a big deal to them. And that’s what is so terrifying to me. There’s blatant criminal activity in front of their faces, and they’re still more concerned about those illegals pouring across the border 

Trump is doing what all corrupt leaders do but with less polish and intelligence - he is deflecting by trying to look at other issues and exaggerating them.   Who even now cares about Hillary's emails where her biggest crime was the lack of security.  He really is the most corrupt and vile President in history. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/powerpost/john-mccain-war-hero-and-maverick-republican-dead-at-age-81/2018/08/25/3234889c-a878-11e8-97ce-cc9042272f07_story.html

John McCain died. 

Tragic. I didn’t agree with him politically but he was truly a kind, generous, civil man. 

Never deserved the vile treatment from Trump. 

Omg 😞 😞RIP to what wouldve been a REAL President then and now! May not have agreed w/ him on many things but absolutely would've been more than fine as President (or ANYone like him today).  An actual DECENT, non piece of sub human shit being like we have this very second! T***p tweeted the most lame, disgraceful RIP 'wishes' :#.  Dreadful and vile doesn't come close to it. He's absolutely loving this, the evil shitbag! He's getting slaughtered and steamrolled left and right (understandably) in his comments. I mean...like really bad! 

John McCain was a great man and a great politician, even if he was a Republican. He was a centrist on many subject and I recognize myself in a lot of his ideas. 

May he rest in peace. 

5 hours ago, Magician said:

R.I.P. 

B6474F19-C0D3-469A-A65B-69F0C4DE9A9D.jpeg

RIP.  Watched a doco on him recently and he impressed me a lot.  Dignified, intelligent, , tried to do the right thing to what he believed and treated people with respect.   Lived a full life and stood up to Trump - something so many in his party are too gutless to do.  

Karma is taking too long to take care of Trump!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/403721-trump-nixed-white-house-statement-praising-mccain-report

Trump nixed White House statement praising McCain: report

August 26, 2018 - 08:03 PM EDT

BY EMILY BIRNBAUM 

President Trump rejected a White House statement praising Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) following his death on Saturday, according to a Washington Post report.

Trump reportedly told his aides that he preferred to tweet his condolence, and tweeted out a pared-down statement in which he did not offer praise of the Arizona Republican. 

"My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of Senator John McCain," Trump tweeted after reports confirmed that McCain had died. "Our hearts and prayers are with you!"

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, chief of staff John Kelly and other White House aides advocated for a detailed official statement that referred to McCain as a "hero" and gave him accolades for his military service, the Post reported. Aides wrote the statement and Sanders edited it over the weekend. 

Trump declined to release the statement.

McCain, 81, died after a yearlong battle with an aggressive form of brain cancer. Even as his condition deteriorated as he received medical treatment in Arizona, Trump continued to mock the late senator at campaign-style rallies, criticizing him for his "no" vote on a bill that would have repealed the Affordable Care Act. 

The two had an adversarial relationship, and McCain often criticized the president for his conduct and policies.

Following the widely-criticized summit between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin in July, McCain said, "The damage inflicted by President Trump's naivete, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake." 

Trump drew widespread blowback when he said McCain, who was held captive as a prisoner of war in Vietnam for more than five years, was "not a war hero." 

"He's a war hero because he was captured," Trump said in 2015. "I like people that weren't captured." 

Trump was reportedly not invited to McCain's funeral. 

Top Trump administration officials posted flattering eulogies of McCain throughout the weekend, including Sanders, Vice President Pence and White House counselor Kellyanne Conway.