MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M_Sinner

Collaborations that never happened

The only one I can think of is Goldie. I remember he mentioned it on some look back program years ago. He said he turned her down as he thought he was "too cool" at the time and deeply regrets doing it now......drum n bass M could've been interesting.

The MJ collabo would have been historic- too bad MJ got cold feet about pushing the envelope with M. Though "In the Closet" isn't one of my favorite tracks of his- with M on board, it may have turned out a bit stronger.

12 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

The MJ collabo would have been historic- too bad MJ got cold feet about pushing the envelope with M. Though "In the Closet" isn't one of my favorite tracks of his- with M on board, it may have turned out a bit stronger.

It's the huge moment in music history that never was.

Consdiering culturally how both MJ and Madonna are held up as the King and Queen of Pop it would of become such a reference point in pop history.

And can you imagine if they'd of actually performed together !?

I don't blame MJ for getting cold feet about dressing up as a woman, rhat jist wasn't him as an artist so I respect in saying no....its a shame the duet idea didn't come after the SEX era.

I’m glad she never collaborated with M.J. 

She is always best solo. Her collabos are always less than the sum of their parts.

I would've loved an MJ collab but I agree that it may not have lived up to what everyone thinks. As much as I ADORE Love Song, it's not quite up to either Prince or Madonna's best. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I would've loved an MJ collab but I agree that it may not have lived up to what everyone thinks. As much as I ADORE Love Song, it's not quite up to either Prince or Madonna's best. 

I think the MJ collab would of got a lot more attention with the intention to release it as a single.

Love song was recorded separately and was never going to be released.

3 hours ago, Confessit said:

Barbra Streisand ?

Was this real ? I'd always assumed it was rumours I can't imagine Madonnas wanting to sign alongside her powerful vocals.

Who knows :laugh: From Barbra's fan sites: 

In April 1993, fans were disappointed to learn that a rumored duet between Madonna and Barbra Streisand would not happen due to scheduling problems. The pair were to have collaborated on “Anything You Can Do,” an Irving Berlin standard from Annie Get Your Gun.

5 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

Who knows :laugh: From Barbra's fan sites: 

In April 1993, fans were disappointed to learn that a rumored duet between Madonna and Barbra Streisand would not happen due to scheduling problems. The pair were to have collaborated on “Anything You Can Do,” an Irving Berlin standard from Annie Get Your Gun.

I don't believe that for a second 😂

34 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I think the MJ collab would of got a lot more attention with the intention to release it as a single.

Love song was recorded separately and was never going to be released.

Yeah, no doubt it would've got more attention but if it was as we know In The Closet now, just with Madonna vocals then even that is a little underwhelming to me. I love In The Closet but considering the star power involved I expect something phenomenal. Kinda how I feel about Love Song too.

BUT It still would've been MJ and M at their peaks (both coasting toward end of their "golden years") and like you said before, a pop culture event unlike none other. Imagine this being released as the lead to Dangerous with the video Madonna had in mind for it. :dramatic:  

4 hours ago, Showdown said:

Not quite true, Moby had been the one asking her and she never had the time. I might be wrong but I want to say he originally wanted her for the song New York New York but she had just released Confessions and didn't want another New York song.

I also recall reading about M. getting some Moby demos for Hard Candy. From a little googling, she was carrying around a disc of them. 

I'm glad she didn't work with any of these people lol. aphex twin could have been interesting. 

To add to the thread: Kendrick Lamar on RH (busy) and Jay-Z (thought Chance the Rapper would fit better on Iconic)

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

I’m glad she never collaborated with M.J. 

She is always best solo. Her collabos are always less than the sum of their parts.

Yes, have to agree. Although I enjoyed Love song with Prince, glad it was not a single as is an acquired taste.  Is perfect as a track on the Like a prayer album.

Duets between superstars very rarely live up to expectations. 

Kavinsky refused to remix one of her tracks in 2012 (which I assume is Gang Bang), he thought it sucked. Very disappointed in him, just imagine how cool her voice would sound on his beats.

I remember reading in some 80's magazine something about a duet with Billy Idol. Right now, this is all I can find:

When asked in the mid-80s which male singer she thought she could record a song with, Madonna suggested “Billy Idol… because we’re both white and plastic and blond.”

https://ifyouwerethere1980s.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/released-today-in-1984-eyes-without-a-face/

-Adele turned down the Super Bowl spot that went to Cee Lo Green

-Pink turned down the 2003 MTV VMA performance

-Lady Gaga turned down a surprise appearance at Yankee Stadium during The MDNA Tour

-Jay Z wanted Madonna to appear in his song Justify My Thug (she turned him down and he later turned down Iconic)

-In the 1980s, Rolling Stone reported that Billy Idol and Madonna would record a song together, but nothing came of it.

-Due to contractual reasons, Tupac was unable to appear on Bedtime Stories, but the demo he recorded with Madonna can be found online.

-Not a collaboration per se, but Debra Winger pulled out of A League of Their Own because Madonna was hired on, Winger's role was recast with Geena Davis.

Edited by Benji124

In his autobiography, Gene Simmons said that he wanted M to sing 'I was made for loving you' on the tribute album KISS my Ass in 1994. He said that he contacted her people but nothing came of it. I think this is the origin as to why he trashes her to this day. Shame. 

21 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

In his autobiography, Gene Simmons said that he wanted M to sing 'I was made for loving you' on the tribute album KISS my Ass in 1994. He said that he contacted her people but nothing came of it. I think this is the origin as to why he trashes her to this day. Shame. 

She would have been perfect to sing that song.

Wasn't there a possible Drake collab? I feel like Best Night/Nothing Lasts Forever were suited for his style.

I wish she would have had something produced by Prince, but not a duet.  (besides Love Song)  MJ also glad that never happened, he's hugely overrated anyway.

I heard Rhianna and Chris Brown wanted to work her, I think those might've been good. 

I would have liked her to have written with Sia. She rejected Sia's songs, I believe.

Find Otto von Wernherr! Let's get some new classic collabs! 

8 hours ago, Benji124 said:

-Not a collaboration per se, but Debra Winger pulled out of A League of Their Own because Madonna was hired on, Winger's role was recast with Geena Davis.

who the fuck is that and why is she so petty?

I think she asked Goldie to do either To Have And Not To Hold or Little Star.

She wanted to work with Aphex Twin but he said he'd only record Madonna's farts... she said no.

She wanted to actually do a duet with Bjork but Bjork said no but gave her one of her songs to record instead. (Bedtime Story)

I'm kinda sad that she never did a duet with Bowie, I wonder if she ever tried... she was a huge fan.

4 minutes ago, Nikki said:

who the fuck is that and why is she so petty?

Winger is notoriously difficult. This goes back 2 the early 80 's where she trashed Richard Gere for his work with her in
an Officer and a gentlemen and she also fought with Shirley MacLaine on the set of Terms of Endearment.

She had quite the reputation and 'retired' from Hollywod at the age of 40. She is easily one of the most talented actressed ever though...
very serious about her craft and she considered Madonna, a pop star, and therefore it was 'stunt casting' in her eyes. Madonna trashed her first though, 4 her role as Kit Moresby in The Sheltering Sky, a book and a role Madonna was obsessed with, calling Winger all wrong 4 the part. I'm pretty sure she (Winger) read that as it was widely reported ay the time.

7 minutes ago, acko said:

Winger is notoriously difficult. This goes back 2 the early 80 's where she trashed Richard Gere for his work with her in
an Officer and a gentlemen and she also fought with Shirley MacLaine on the set of Terms of Endearment.

She had quite the reputation and 'retired' from Hollywod at the age of 40. She is easily one of the most talented actressed ever though...
very serious about her craft and she considered Madonna, a pop star, and therefore it was 'stunt casting' in her eyes. Madonna trashed her first though, 4 her role as Kit Moresby in The Sheltering Sky, a book and a role Madonna was obsessed with, calling Winger all wrong 4 the part. I'm pretty sure she (Winger) read that as it was widely reported ay the time.

Yeah, I am reading up on her now and she seems difficult. a league of their own is a comedy with rosie o donnel. not everything has to be serious. but of course, if M said that about winger (who seems so serious about her craft) it's not surprising that she didnt want to be in a movie with M

On 07/12/2017 at 7:12 PM, horn said:

The Lyric interview

Monday 6 December 1999
Mariah Carey, US mega pop star, recently sat down with Lyric reporter, Tom Allen, and discussed her upcoming project (All That Glitters soundtrack).

Tom: Mariah Carey, the best-selling artist of the 90's (chuckle)
Mariah: Please!! (Laugh) People keep sayin' that but I don't view it in that fashion. My focus has never been on the "numbers" so to say. It's always been the "music." But I do appreciate people recognizing the fact that I do work hard and I think it's safe to say that what success I have earned is exactly that; I've worked hard to earn it.

Tom: So the latest word on Mariah Carey is an elusive movie project dated for fall and winter of 2000.
Mariah: Yes. We are going to start production in February of the new year. Right now, I'm working on trying to get the soundtrack together. As of right now, there are 4 tracks out of a total of 15 tracks done. Within the 15 tracks, there will be a new remixed recording of "Heartbreaker" along with several other tracks I plan to do myself.

Tom: So the soundtrack isn't going to be completely you?
Mariah: No. Not by any means. It's going to be mostly me but it's also going to feature classic 80's artists along with some collaborations between myself and various artists.

Tom: Are you at liberty to talk about some of the 'collabs"?
Mariah: Not entirely. There is one project that is done though. I can somewhat discuss it. It's a track called "Angelfire," which I did with Madonna, William Orbit, and Patrick Leonard. It is an incredibly personal song which may or may not be on the album.

Tom: Why might it not be on the soundtrack?
Mariah: It is very much a departure from my normal style and shines a new light on my music. It really wasn't for the soundtrack initially. From time to time, I decide to do songs just for my own personal library. Kinda like therapy; a release of thoughts and emotions that need to be released. So I called up Patrick Leonard because this particular concept was born from a rush of feelings dealing with insecure issues from my childhood and I thought it needed an 80's feel because of that era of my life. Patrick Leonard had been with Madonna since the eighties so I felt he would be perfect. We completed the track and a producer friend of mine, who is also co-producing the soundtrack with me, heard it and told me it was perfect for the overall theme of the movie. So we called up Madonna to see if she would be willing to come in and assist us in revamping the song to better fit the soundtrack. We finished it up and called in William Orbit to give it a somewhat futuristic millenium feel. Now the decision falls upon my shoulders as to whether to use it or not.

Tom: Though still, why wouldn't you use it.
Mariah: Well... because it deals with deep, deep insecurities that I have never mentioned or have vaguely eluded to in conversations. It's much deeper than "Close My Eyes", "Looking In", and even "Petals." That's why releasing this song is an issue with me.

So where’s Angelfire? Did she ever use it? Rework it or or something?