MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

Can someone rewind the different 'Playground' versions for me again ?

And where I can get them from ugh I always get this one confused!!

Which is the one with the extra / alternate verse? 

Only ones I know is the radio edit ( which is the official single), the film version and the long version. And of course the instrumental. I have the vinyl and it has the radio edit, the long version and the instrumental. As far as I know the song never received official remixes. 

Barcelona Gold: Short Version

Something To Remember, all singles and maxi-singles: Single Version, same as above with an extra chorus at the end (the only released version with the "I wish you were standing here with me" chorus at the end)

All singles and maxi-singles: The Long Version, with more verses but the same two-chorus ending as Short Version

All maxi-singles: Instrumental (of the longer, earlier movie version of the song)

The A League Of Their Own film credits feature the longest version of the song, an earlier mix with an additional chorus at the end not heard on any of the released versions.

The music video is the Single Version with the first half of the intro removed (it fades up late)

1 minute ago, Mattress said:

Something To Remember, all singles and maxi-singles: Single Version, same as above with an extra chorus at the end (the only released version with the "I wish you were standing here with me" chorus at the end)

All singles and maxi-singles: The Long Version, with more verses but the same two chorus ending as Short Version

All maxi-singles: Instrumental (of the longer, earlier movie version of the song)

The A League Of Their Own film credits feature the longest version of the song, an earlier mix with an additional chorus at the end not heard on any of the released versions.

The music video is the Single Version with the first half removed (it fades up late).

What would we do without you ?? ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks @Mattress.  Your knowledge of all things Madonna is incredible as always. 

9 minutes ago, Mattress said:

All singles and maxi-singles: The Long Version, with more verses but the same two chorus ending as Short Version

The music video is the Single Version with the first half removed (it fades up late)

Is the short version the radio edit by any chance? 

There is one on YouTube (Skin Bruno Lullabay Mix) it’s not official, but it is my favorite version of a great underrated #1 song!

She should perform it one day.

Well the years they flew

And we never knew

We were foolish then

We would never tire

And that little fire is still alive in me

It will never go away

Cant say good-bye to yesterday

:inlove:

I think there's two versions of the long version used in the film. The one in the credits with sound effects and a clean version without the effects.

I love the missing verse. The secret hiding place line should have been kept.

11 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

Is the short version the radio edit by any chance? 

It's an exclusive edit I think.

What a beautiful song. It's little by little becoming my favourite Madonna song. 

It really is such a beautiful song

Really is a beautifully written and sung ballad.  M's voice and the backing vocals are like....buttah!!!

17 hours ago, Suedehead said:

And where I can get them from ugh I always get this one confused!!

Which is the one with the extra / alternate verse? 

Here you go darling! :horn: 

JUWbOFp.jpg

Lyrically the song talks about Madonna revisiting the places from her childhood ("This used to be my playground / This used to be my childhood dream"), and evokes the songwriting on her fourth studio album, Like a Prayer (1989). The singer is in a dilemma between choosing the past and letting go, concluding that the latter is difficult ("Say goodbye to yesterday  / Those are words I'll never say (I'll never say))". The track has a sudden ending with the orchestra and the backing vocal uttering "Wishing you were here with me", the line addressed to Madonna's mother.

3 hours ago, horn said:

JUWbOFp.jpg

I wonder why there were so many versions. Why not just the Original Version and the Single Edit (better for radio than the Single Version, which is over five minutes! Anyone know which one was played primarily?) The versions released on the single seem unnecessary. I just imagine M in the studio making up more and more lyrics right there in the recording booth and saying to Shep, "I could do this all day. Writing pop songs is so fucking easy."

I remember reading her and Shep wrote and recorded the song in 2 days.

Barcelona Gold version is actually a unique edit of the Short Version! (just to complicate things)

4 hours ago, Confessit said:

I remember reading her and Shep wrote and recorded the song in 2 days.

If the amount of lyrics are any indication, they recorded it for 2 days straight! :madgemanson:

Thanks for that lyrics chart!  It's the only Madonna song with so many versions!  I guess they did the long movie one first????  and then they edited? 

Beautiful simple melancholic ballad without trying to be overly dramatic. It's so lovely all around. :inlove:

Of course they did the original first.

But I guess the original version is a bit draggy (since its running time is 6.54), hence they edited into a 5.08 single version (to the public is considered the "album version" ***), which is commonly played on radio.

As for the Barcelona Gold version, I believe it was a standard practice in the past for WB not to release the "album version" (aka single version) for any compilation.

But I'm surprised WB didn't include the original version on STR.

So till this date, the original version is still remains "unreleased".

On 05/12/2017 at 10:32 PM, Mattress said:

All singles and maxi-singles: The Long Version, with more verses but the same two-chorus ending as Short Version

The music video is the Single Version with the first half of the intro removed (it fades up late)

Thank you! 

22 hours ago, horn said:

JUWbOFp.jpg

Amazing!! Thanks love