MadonnaNation.com Forums
M_Sinner

What happened to Spotlight?

the mitchubishi advertisements look wonderful, she could have used them to edit a proper video.Another wasted opportunity, as with Rescue me (again, with another edit of the ad, some pictures from the rolling stone magazine...).anyways, this song is so catchy happy, that can work very well as a live performance...maybe someboday!

in 1985 prince released Raspberry beret after the album was out.was a normal thing back in the day? I mean, to release an album with a proper single and only after it was out release a song?

or even a double sided Look of love-spotlight with lots of remixes!!! god, there could have been a lot of ways to make this a wonderful release...well, at least we have a great song! and I understand she wasn´t focused in her music career that year

7 hours ago, promise to try said:

or even a double sided Look of love-spotlight with lots of remixes!!! god, there could have been a lot of ways to make this a wonderful release...well, at least we have a great song! and I understand she wasn´t focused in her music career that year

I think this would been a fantastic idea. It could’ve been A #1 smash hit.

In the US...they could’ve given us TLOL as a 3rd single,  like it was in the UK...after all the first two released were big #1 & #2

12 hours ago, promise to try said:

the mitchubishi advertisements look wonderful, she could have used them to edit a proper video.Another wasted opportunity, as with Rescue me (again, with another edit of the ad, some pictures from the rolling stone magazine...).anyways, this song is so catchy happy, that can work very well as a live performance...maybe someboday!

in 1985 prince released Raspberry beret after the album was out.was a normal thing back in the day? I mean, to release an album with a proper single and only after it was out release a song?

What do you mean? It was normal for a single to come out then the album would follow like a week later. Then follow up singles came out.

I was surprised TLOL came out at the same time as YCD. a double a side would have been good but we just got a YCD poster instead 🙃

Compared to the highs of 1985 and 1986 the second hald of 1987 seems to hold up less well. A soundtrack with respectable sales figures but nothing exceptional. A number one single with lower sales and critical acclaim than her previous number one singles. A single with just a live performance for a video. A single with no remixes, extended mixes, instrumentals or new songs and a movie montage video shunned by many TV Music shows. Then a remix album which held little interest for many.

The second half of 1987 saw Madonna overshadowed by Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Geoge Michael. After ruling the music world scene with Like A Virgin and True Blue Who's That Girl and You Can Dance (although liked by us fans) were massively eclipsed by other artists output. Perhaps Warners were worried about Spotlight breaking her Top Ten records especially with no video, no live performance or even relevant movie clips to use for a video.

10 hours ago, jonski43 said:

What do you mean? It was normal for a single to come out then the album would follow like a week later. Then follow up singles came out.

I was surprised TLOL came out at the same time as YCD. a double a side would have been good but we just got a YCD poster instead 🙃

as fvar as I know Around the world in a day was released before the single, and then others singles floowed. And in europe, at least in the UK, pairsley park was the lead single

2 hours ago, promise to try said:

as fvar as I know Around the world in a day was released before the single, and then others singles floowed. And in europe, at least in the UK, pairsley park was the lead single

Oh yes according to Wikipedia, the album was released before the singles which was very unusual as a single was the normal promo for an album. However, this is Prince! Also, weren't Warner's unsure about the album as they wanted another purple rain and got this Beatles psychedelic effort.

Just now, jonski43 said:

Oh yes according to Wikipedia, the album was released before the singles which was very unusual as a single was the normal promo for an album. However, this is Prince! Also, weren't Warner's unsure about the album as they wanted another purple rain and got this Beatles psychedelic effort.

and was it nomral, back to you can dance, to release an album without a physical single from it? just simply release it and wait because only her name was going to sell albums? was the release of Spotlight to the radios something official?

20 minutes ago, promise to try said:

and was it normal, back to you can dance, to release an album without a physical single from it? just simply release it and wait because only her name was going to sell albums? was the release of Spotlight to the radios something official?

No, it wasn't normal at all to release an album with no single but then again, this wasn't really a proper album and a remix album was one of the first of its kind. So, I think it was given minimal promotion - singles didn't really make money so by not releasing Spotlight, more copies of the album would be sold I expect. 

There were official promo singles in Spain, Argentina and Malaysia but that was it. 

I don't think M did any promotion for it either so it was more a little extra for fans rather than some big album release. 

Just now, jonski43 said:

No, it wasn't normal at all to release an album with no single but then again, this wasn't really a proper album and a remix album was one of the first of its kind. So, I think it was given minimal promotion - singles didn't really make money so by not releasing Spotlight, more copies of the album would be sold I expect. 

There were official promo singles in Spain, Argentina and Malaysia but that was it. 

I don't think M did any promotion for it either so it was more a little extra for fans rather than some big album release. 

I don´t remember the song on the radio, but I remember a huge poster hanging on the record store for years!

I love Spotlight! Technically, it is a b-side from the True Blue sessions LOL. Such a shame it never got a full single treatment worldwide. How cool would it have been to have gotten different single artworks for the track, remixes and instrumentals. I think it would have also fitted nicely in the BA tour.

On 2017-12-12 at 12:32 PM, 5iVe Elements said:

He is handsome and hot :inlove:

:kiss2:I’d totally fuck him:chuckle::chuckle:

13 hours ago, spotlight said:

Brings new meaning to the phrase "go fuck yourself"!!!  :lmao:  If you're capable of the task, please send video!!!!!

Considering YOU CAN DANCE was supposed to be released in late 86-early 87 i doubt it was ever planned as a single then they released La isla bonita off True Blue...then Who's that girl and the who's that girl soundtrack and Causing a commotion and the tour and the movie...the reason why The look of love was released in only 3 countries and same with Spotlight was IMO to avoid a Madonna saturation which already doomed the movie that got released around the world around the release of YCD. 

As for the Mitsubishi ads i remember distinctively a TV set and VCR in my local supermarket playing it to promote the YCD album. I remember it very well since i had my mom ask the director if she could buy the tape for me hahaha. It's still a mystery to me that tape never surfaced and why WEA (Warner France then) got the permission to use it. 

1 hour ago, todsmod said:

Brings new meaning to the phrase "go fuck yourself"!!!  :lmao:  If you're capable of the task, please send video!!!!!

Hahahaahahahaha

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Considering YOU CAN DANCE was supposed to be released in late 86-early 87 i doubt it was ever planned as a single then they released La isla bonita off True Blue...then Who's that girl and the who's that girl soundtrack and Causing a commotion and the tour and the movie...the reason why The look of love was released in only 3 countries and same with Spotlight was IMO to avoid a Madonna saturation which already doomed the movie that got released around the world around the release of YCD. 

As for the Mitsubishi ads i remember distinctively a TV set and VCR in my local supermarket playing it to promote the YCD album. I remember it very well since i had my mom ask the director if she could buy the tape for me hahaha. It's still a mystery to me that tape never surfaced and why WEA (Warner France then) got the permission to use it. 

I think True Blue's success was much greater than they expected. True Blue the single wasn't meant to be released but then radio started playing it so Open Your Heart was shunted back to December when YCD came out and TB got released early Autumn. I remember going to HMV in December 86 to buy YCD and being surprised that OYH was had been released and YCD wasn't available. I've no idea if LIB was meant to be released or whether it got a release owing to the amazing success of the album. The WTG movie was doomed as it got bad reviews and wasn't very good, nothing to do with saturation!

23 hours ago, spotlight said:

I love Spotlight!:inlove:

34 minutes ago, 5iVe Elements said:

I love Spotlight!:inlove:

You make me so happy it turns back to sad
There's nothing I hate more than what I can't have
Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats
Alone, unless...

:inlove:

Just now, spotlight said:

You make me so happy it turns back to sad
There's nothing I hate more than what I can't have
Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats
Alone, unless...

My baby's fly like a jet stream
High above the whole scene
Loves me like I'm brand new 

9 hours ago, jonski43 said:

I think True Blue's success was much greater than they expected. True Blue the single wasn't meant to be released but then radio started playing it so Open Your Heart was shunted back to December when YCD came out and TB got released early Autumn. I remember going to HMV in December 86 to buy YCD and being surprised that OYH was had been released and YCD wasn't available. I've no idea if LIB was meant to be released or whether it got a release owing to the amazing success of the album. The WTG movie was doomed as it got bad reviews and wasn't very good, nothing to do with saturation!

Yes. 1987 did not seem that saturated to compare 1984 when we had the regular Like A Virgin singles, Into The Groove, Crazy For You and in the UK we had the rerelease of Holiday and later Borderline in early 1986. In terms of new music in 1987 we just had the 4 Who's That Girl songs, Spotlight and Santa Baby. A lot by todays standards but not so much at the time compared to the previous 2 years.