MadonnaNation.com Forums
M_Sinner

What happened to Spotlight?

5 minutes ago, Nick said:

Omg the video of people dancing to spotlight is awesome!💃🏿🕺🏿

BIG HAIR was everywhere! 

The cans of AquaNet (hairspray) was outta control!!!  There went the ozone layer!!!  Big hair, big shoulder pads, Z-Cavaricci's....it's fun to look at now.  But to think we actually dressed/accessorized like that!!  Fun(ny) times. 

14 minutes ago, todsmod said:

HOLY JESUS!!!  I totally forgot about "Dance Party"!!!  I always loved watching that (especially the cute guy @2:18 mark)!!!  Also the "wanna-be's"....hahaha at the Ciao Italia girl and outfit!!  I also have some beta-max tapes/videos somewhere....?  Thanks for sharing!!!  Really brought back some OLD memories!

I remember going to Houston and being amazed at some of the radio stations (dance oriented) that played a lot of Madonna!!  There was also a radio program (can't remember the name) that did a countdown on Saturday nights (mid to late 80's) that was dance oriented, and Madonna was always there.

You're welcome! It's a fun flashback :)

I always thought this was a conscious decision to avoid overexposure. The Who's That Girl soundtrack was still very recent and The Look of Love a single in the UK.

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

LOL Me 2! 

We Love u @spotlight !  :kiss2:

I agree that spotlight the song is similar to others but that doesn’t take away the joy of listening to the song... #justiceforspotlight  😜

:brenspin::kiss2:

I heard it played often on radio that year. Back then songs without a physical commercial single for sale were ineligible for the Hot 100. This would’ve easily went top 5 in the U.S. if a physical single was released. #1 with a video.

1 hour ago, avoid the cliche said:

Top 40 pop radio was different back then. It could be 1987 and yet you would still hear stuff like New Attitude or Into The Groove along with current songs so it didn't sound dated at the time for me. I used to hear Spotlight on all top 40 stations in heavy rotation in Miami and much of the other pop Radio stations in the country played It as well. It did chart on the Billboard radio play chart with its peak in Jan 1988. it was also on the top 5 requested songs of the day for quite some time here in MIA. No doubt they wanted to push album sales. If they would have released a proper single it would have at best been top 5. I miss the days when radio would play anything Madonna. They used to even play Look Of Love on Power 96. 

I transferred this video from my Betamax tape and posted it years ago from on FB from a US program called Dance Party USA (which was filmed in Philly), look how many where singing along and knew the song.

I dare anyone to watch this video and not join in to sing along. Such a great little 80 bop. 

Spotlight was eplayed on the radio all the time in Canada 

It looked like no one knew the words but pretended to...lol

25 minutes ago, spotlight said:

Spotlight was eplayed on the radio all the time in Canada 

As in Mexico... 

22 minutes ago, Aries said:

It looked like no one knew the words but pretended to...lol

Lol. Not quote sure why there is a delay and its somewhat out of synch. It's not like that in the original video.  

Just now, avoid the cliche said:

Lol. Not quote sure why there is a delay and its somewhat out of synch. It's not like that in the original video.  

I kinda prefer it with the delay....makes it even funnier!

OMG check out the Germanotta twins! They look about the right age!

The syncing is fine for me. Youtube does that a lot though. 

Amazing hair though. Even the guys!

The eighties rocked!

spotlight - 1.jpg

I never had a problem with it sounding like previous singles. I think that's what makes it work on YCD...that it blends right in with the dance hits on that compilation. Something too different wouldn't have flowed. 

Also never minded that it sounds "dated" (there's that word again!). I mean, that's what makes it so much fun to this day...that classic 80s sound. Nothing quite like it.

What a bop.

46 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Also never minded that it sounds "dated" (there's that word again!). 

I'm one of those people who strongly oppose the loose usage of the word "dated" to any song someone simply doesn't like. :yes: In the case of "Spotlight", however, in my opinion, - it is accurate to call it "dated". @jonski43 described the song perfectly.

Would of absolutely been another top 10 at the min. Most likely top 5..possibly higher w/ a proper video, some promotion and single release. As instant, catchy,  super radio friendly for '87/'88 and classic Madonna as everything else she put out then. This song along with WTP and TLOL should've somehow gotten single treatment- even if limited but long enough to chart. If their concern was 'over saturation' and/or album sales, too bad. ALL the songs rocked and still would been big to major hits. Plus, she was just that massively popular wouldn't have been 'too much'. People couldn't get enough! Warner botched sooo many damn opportunities. She EASILY should be close to 50 top 10s and at least 5+ more #1s. We all know if she came out in 2014 with the system we have now, same quality of the songs, videos and impact, she'd already be at 20 #1s lol

I love Spotlight, and still play it to this day. I think the lyrics really capture Madonna's go-getting, positive outlook.

I'd like to see this on tour - I can totally imagine this working with a latin/flamenco breakdown towards the end.

Here's the brief demo that was mentioned upthread:

1 hour ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I'm one of those people who strongly oppose the loose usage of the word "dated" to any song someone simply doesn't like. :yes: In the case of "Spotlight", however, in my opinion, - it is accurate to call it "dated". @jonski43 described the song perfectly.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Sorry @VogueMusic. No amount of GIFs would ever convince me this is a good/cool/bop of a song. It's not :rotfl: 

tenor.gif

Wow, that demo is terrible!  It took Madonna, Steve Bray, and Jellybean I think (or Shep?) to make it decent. 

I remember not really liking the song before, but after rediscovering You Can Dance recently, I feel it's not bad.  Same with Can't Stop.

I do think the song had a "dated" sound even in 1987. It has a Hi-NRG vibe to it, which was kind of over by the late '80s:

The synths are very early '80s. Some examples:

On 5.12.2017 at 5:49 PM, avoid the cliche said:

Top 40 pop radio was different back then. It could be 1987 and yet you would still hear stuff like New Attitude or Into The Groove along with current songs so it didn't sound dated at the time for me. I used to hear Spotlight on all top 40 stations in heavy rotation in Miami and much of the other pop Radio stations in the country played It as well. It did chart on the Billboard radio play chart with its peak in Jan 1988. it was also on the top 5 requested songs of the day for quite some time here in MIA. No doubt they wanted to push album sales. If they would have released a proper single it would have at best been top 5. I miss the days when radio would play anything Madonna. They used to even play Look Of Love on Power 96. 

I transferred this video from my Betamax tape and posted it years ago from on FB from a US program called Dance Party USA (which was filmed in Philly), look how many where singing along and knew the song.

who can spot KELLY RiPA in this video :wow:

On 2017/12/6 at 2:44 AM, LSD said:

Who got the free Tshirt?

I love Spotlight. It's on my workout playlist. It may be cheesy but it gets me moving!

10 hours ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

who can spot KELLY RiPA in this video :wow:

Is that her at t = 39 seconds???