MadonnaNation.com Forums
M_Sinner

What happened to Spotlight?

Was it really denied as a single release in order to sell more copies of YCD?

It would have been huge, top 5 hit def

I love Spotlight very much....and I would’ve definitely bought a single had there been one....but I also bought the album...that wouldn’t have changed regardless!

It's a cute track, but it already sounded dated and tinny in 1987.

10 hours ago, acko said:

Agreed. I was disappointed with it especially with the house sound of chicago coming through. It sounded like a rip-off artist trying to be Madonna from 84. 

Lucky Japan got it as a single. While radio stations in America played it on their own accord without being pushed. Her power.:inlove:

Would’ve probably been a big hit in North America & Europe. 

16 hours ago, acko said:

6 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Agreed. I was disappointed with it especially with the house sound of chicago coming through. It sounded like a rip-off artist trying to be Madonna from 84. 

Yes and yes. It's not bad, but certainly not good enough and has a very strong "rehash" feeling to it, hence it doesn't even appear on my alternative track listing of True Blue. Sorry "Spotlight" - you're inherently a B-side song. 

Was the released version a remix? I heard originally it sounded very similar to Holiday.

i always thought Spotlight and Where's The Party were singles because I heard them so much on radio, people playing them. 

They both would've been huge.

@spotlight. There is a thread asking about you !  Fame awaits !  :lol:  

I have always enjoyed Spotlight.  I presumed it wasn't a single to encourage people to buy " You can dance" to have it.  

1 minute ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I have always enjoyed Spotlight.  I presumed it wasn't a single to encourage people to buy " You can dance" to have it.  

"Spotlight" is a poor unfortunate third cousin of "Lucky Star", "Into the Groove", "Holiday"...it pains me to say that. :sadface: 

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Spotlight" is a poor unfortunate third cousin of "Lucky Star", "Into the Groove", "Holiday"...it pains me to say that. :sadface: 

I agree that it is not in the class of those songs you mentioned which are pop masterpieces and classics. I do enjoy it though.  

Just now, Jazzy Jan said:

I agree that it is not in the class of those songs you mentioned which are pop masterpieces and classics. I do enjoy it though.  

What is even sadder is that it was released in 1987, when house music had just started to bloom. 

1 hour ago, Showdown said:

Was the released version a remix? I heard originally it sounded very similar to Holiday.

A thirty second clip demo leaked by the writers who also did holiday so there's a slight similarity in style but instrumentation sounds different. 

7 hours ago, Nick said:

Would’ve probably been a big hit in North America & Europe. 

It reached #32 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart, but it peaked in its third week on the chart, and it was gone after only 4 weeks, so who knows what would've happened, i think they made the right choice by servicing the full album to clubs and radios, instead of a regular single release, it made the whole release a lot more exciting!

Great uplifting song.  Love the bridge.

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@spotlight. There is a thread asking about you !  Fame awaits !  :lol:  

:lol2:

I Always enjoy listening to spotlight. 

Love it, it has this instant appeal her classic singles have. But I really wonder did it sound dated at the time of the release. Nowadays it sounds dated, but in a cute intended way

@Jazzy Jan  I thought the same thing as you....."I wonder if something happened to @spotlight"!!  Glad to hear you're alright, spotlight!!!

I like the song, but it does sound too similar to previous "hits".  Although I did play the shit out of it back then, and still give it a listen every now and then.

@todsmod all is good on my end. Don’t worry babe. 

Top 40 pop radio was different back then. It could be 1987 and yet you would still hear stuff like New Attitude or Into The Groove along with current songs so it didn't sound dated at the time for me. I used to hear Spotlight on all top 40 stations in heavy rotation in Miami and much of the other pop Radio stations in the country played It as well. It did chart on the Billboard radio play chart with its peak in Jan 1988. it was also on the top 5 requested songs of the day for quite some time here in MIA. No doubt they wanted to push album sales. If they would have released a proper single it would have at best been top 5. I miss the days when radio would play anything Madonna. They used to even play Look Of Love on Power 96. 

I transferred this video from my Betamax tape and posted it years ago from on FB from a US program called Dance Party USA (which was filmed in Philly), look how many where singing along and knew the song.

1 hour ago, todsmod said:

@Jazzy Jan  I thought the same thing as you....."I wonder if something happened to @spotlight"!!  Glad to hear you're alright, spotlight!!!

I like the song, but it does sound too similar to previous "hits".  Although I did play the shit out of it back then, and still give it a listen every now and then.

LOL Me 2! 

We Love u @spotlight !  :kiss2:

I agree that spotlight the song is similar to others but that doesn’t take away the joy of listening to the song... #justiceforspotlight  😜

50 minutes ago, avoid the cliche said:

Top 40 pop radio was different back then. It could be 1987 and yet you would still hear stuff like New Attitude or Into The Groove along with current songs so it didn't sound dated at the time for me. I used to hear Spotlight on all top 40 stations in heavy rotation in Miami and much of the other pop Radio stations in the country played It as well. It did chart on the Billboard radio play chart with its peak in Jan 1988. it was also on the top 5 requested songs of the day for quite some time here in MIA. No doubt they wanted to push album sales. If they would have released a proper single it would have at best been top 5. I miss the days when radio would play anything Madonna. They used to even play Look Of Love on Power 96. 

I transferred this video from my Betamax tape and posted it years ago from on FB from a US program called Dance Party USA (which was filmed in Philly), look how many where singing along and knew the song.

HOLY JESUS!!!  I totally forgot about "Dance Party"!!!  I always loved watching that (especially the cute guy @2:18 mark)!!!  Also the "wanna-be's"....hahaha at the Ciao Italia girl and outfit!!  I also have some beta-max tapes/videos somewhere....?  Thanks for sharing!!!  Really brought back some OLD memories!

I remember going to Houston and being amazed at some of the radio stations (dance oriented) that played a lot of Madonna!!  There was also a radio program (can't remember the name) that did a countdown on Saturday nights (mid to late 80's) that was dance oriented, and Madonna was always there.

Omg the video of people dancing to spotlight is awesome!💃🏿🕺🏿

BIG HAIR was everywhere!