MadonnaNation.com Forums
Skin

Was the MDNA Tour.....

17 minutes ago, Starman said:

She was 2:30 hours late for most of shows! It really became a test of patience for the public

Think tour would have been better received if it wasn’t for the extreme late start times. Many folks in attendance were already pissed before the concerts started. It didn’t bother me so much. Just that don’t like how many people on social media have said they won’t see Madonna again.

On 12/3/2017 at 7:50 PM, Skin said:

I remember when pictures started rolling in from opening night I thought the ones of the cathedral at the start was an actual built set.  Was shocked when I found out it was screens because it was so crystal clear. 

Yes! I distinctly remember that too. Also, there was uncertainty at first as to whether the hotel in GB was actually a set piece or part of the background screens.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:30 PM, KalamazooJay said:

MDNA is easily one of Madonna's most important achievements from an artistic and theatrical standpoint. That's just not up for debate. It's a mind blowing journey portrayed on stage that only SHE can do. While watching it, I was taken aback at it's sheer scope, size, and ferocity. I truly couldn't' believe I was watching a woman who was entering her 4th decade of touring. Women HALF her age would have issues keeping up with the kind of routine this tour demanded. It was a spectacle of epic proportions. 

HOWEVER.

It ABSOLUTELY destroyed her reputation with the general public as a touring act.

FACTS MATTER. It did. 

I credit Madonna for implementing her vision on stage for diehard fans in a way that only she can do. But I cringe at the thought of casual fans having to, literally, suffer through some of the song choices and segments. So this entire era and tour is a double edged sword. While it's a creative masterpiece, it also pushed A LOT of casual fans towards the exit. From a literal standpoint during the shows. I'll never forget the VITRIOL from people on our way back from to the city from the Philly show. It was outright hatred of the concert.

So, while she implemented a glorious vision for this tour, she also alienated a sizable chunk of her casual fanbase. When us diehards complain about her mainstream success, I will always point to this era as turning point in her career when she chose to go the route of keeping her 'base' satisfied and saying FUCK YOU to the rest. 

To some degree, the beginnings of these kind of reactions can be traced back as far as the Girlie Show when she left out huge hits in favor of songs from the "flop" album. It's unfortunate because this will probably happen to some degree more times than not going forward. She doesn't have hits anymore so it's not like VT-BA when every song she sings (even a lot of album tracks) were very well known. I experienced that same sort of negative reaction with DWT oddly enough. There were so many "WTF's" and "never agains" that I heard when leaving that show and she was in the midst of a career peak!  So many people come for The Immaculate Collection and to see her basically recreate her old looks.....it's shocking how many people I talk to think she's Cher or something and her shows are just nostalgia pieces. The ones with that mindset that go are fucked! lol I feel like more than ever people aren't up to being challenged by their entertainers. People want relatable and familiar and MDNA was far from that.

I wouldn't say it destroyed her reputation with the GP though because RHT was far too successful....especially considering there was no Super Bowl to springboard from. RHT is unique in that there was practically nothing pushing the tour.....yes she did tons of promo but I mean, there was no major "event" like SB, there was no massive hit like 4M or HU.....no catchy "reinvention" tag to sell it as a semi-greatest hits tour. It seems like (aside from the late starts) the show was received more positively by the audience for the most part....but there were definitely still some "not enough hits" complainers for sure.

26 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

To some degree, the beginnings of these kind of reactions can be traced back as far as the Girlie Show when she left out huge hits in favor of songs from the "flop" album. It's unfortunate because this will probably happen to some degree more times than not going forward. She doesn't have hits anymore so it's not like VT-BA when every song she sings (even a lot of album tracks) were very well known. I experienced that same sort of negative reaction with DWT oddly enough. There were so many "WTF's" and "never agains" that I heard when leaving that show and she was in the midst of a career peak!  So many people come for The Immaculate Collection and to see her basically recreate her old looks.....it's shocking how many people I talk to think she's Cher or something and her shows are just nostalgia pieces. The ones with that mindset that go are fucked! lol I feel like more than ever people aren't up to being challenged by their entertainers. People want relatable and familiar and MDNA was far from that.

I wouldn't say it destroyed her reputation with the GP though because RHT was far too successful....especially considering there was no Super Bowl to springboard from. RHT is unique in that there was practically nothing pushing the tour.....yes she did tons of promo but I mean, there was no major "event" like SB, there was no massive hit like 4M or HU.....no catchy "reinvention" tag to sell it as a semi-greatest hits tour. It seems like (aside from the late starts) the show was received more positively by the audience for the most part....but there were definitely still some "not enough hits" complainers for sure.

When it comes to a Madonna show...there will ALWAYS be these types of casual ticket buyers/complainers. And you'd think after being a consistent top touring act, they'd have got the memo by now. 

Thing is, M is such a unique live artist. She just isn't going to give you a straight typical rock/pop concert for you to sing along to.  Even if she were to do a straight up "Greatest Hits" tour, it would probably still find a way to disappoint some casual buyers.

12 hours ago, Nick said:

Don’t know about other folks but I’ve grown to really enjoy most of the DVD as well. Still think it could’ve been overall better, just that I really enjoy watching from I’m a Sinner-LAP- Celebration. 

I haven't watched a Madonna concert DVD so many times front to back since the DWT VHS. 

Another thing I've noticed is that anyone I've ever shown this DVD to is completely awestruck by this show....very little talking going on from them...lol....and that's casual and non-fans alike. I remember when Epix aired the show and a friend of mine DVR'd it and every time I would come over for a while after that he'd play it without me even mentioning it. He was drunk one night and called me saying he was watching the show and crying during LAV :lol: so idk.....very different than some of the reactions many saw at the live show. Maybe being able to see EVERYTHING in all it's glory on the small screen helps. After all, one of the reasons we love it so is the theatrics of it all and if you don't have good seats at the show then well.....

I really can't imagine seeing this show in the nosebleeds at a stadium gig. It's just not meant for that.

I agree that MDNA is by and large more of a cinematic kind of live show so I can see how it would come across much better to casual fans and even non fans watching it on screen.

7 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

When it comes to a Madonna show...there will ALWAYS be these types of casual ticket buyers/complainers. And you'd think after being a consistent top touring act, they'd have got the memo by now. 

Thing is, M is such a unique live artist. She just isn't going to give you a straight typical rock/pop concert for you to sing along to.  Even if she were to do a straight up "Greatest Hits" tour, it would probably still disappoint some casual buyers.

Exactly! When people are surprised by this still at this point I just think "haven't you seen ANYTHING she's done the last oh 15-20 years or so?!?!?" :lol: At the end of the day, there's ALWAYS going to be songs missing because she has so many damn hits it's impossible to get everything in! 

And yes, best believe her "greatest hits" show will NOT be in the vein of Cher's "Farewell Tour".....it will have some sort of twist that will piss the casuals off.  :lol:

In a lot of cases I tend to prefer the performances of the newest tracks on her tours because they're so new and fresh her passion and energy comes alive with them! That's why so many songs we may find blase' on an album are transcended to iconic status with a good live performance. 

On 12/3/2017 at 6:30 PM, KalamazooJay said:

HOWEVER.

It ABSOLUTELY destroyed her reputation with the general public as a touring act.

FACTS MATTER. It did. 

I don't know if I'd go that far...as I don't think the Rebel Heart Tour would have played out as well as it did if this were entirely true. I don't think it's one tour alone that's the issue... I think the late starts have really affected that perception more than anything. When I casually peak at the reviews of her on Ticketmaster, I find that's the number 1 complaint you come across, even more than "not enough hits". Not to mention she's toured pretty consistently since 2000, and NOT as a greatest hits act. A unique feat surely, but unchanged can probably only go for so long. Even if she had done a major 'greatest hits' tour for MDNA with great reviews, I still think the market would have leveled out some what afterward. 

But for being at this point in her career, with no big hits, and some of her touring rep issues leading into it, the RHT was a success all things considered. And I think the mainstream reviews, and word of mouth, throughout that tour show a turn around. I don't think any of that could have been possible if it was all truly "destroyed". 

THE LONGER SHE CAN AVOID TURNING INTO A NOSTALGIA ACT AND DO GREATEST HITS TOURS, THE HAPPIER I WILL BE.
No matter what the GP thinks.

Aside from casual fans and the GP complaining about the lack of hits, the new rearrangements, the thing that she really has working against her are the late start times.

At the beginning of the RHT, she was right on time and somehow it crept it's way back in but MDNA was brutal. I went to both Houston shows and I was in the GT but people were pissed minus the diehard fans. You had people complaining loudly and the opening act was just a mess. Then people got pissed when a stagehand came out and started mopping/cleaning the catwalk. LOL.

The MDNA tour is breath taking. I can't see how she would ever top it the back drops, stage and props were outstanding it really was cinematic as others have said.

The routines were fierce as well and whilst many hits were left off in favour of songs from one of her least favourable album, it doesn't change the fact the show was a triumph of epic proportions.

I know some fans were disappointed that Rebel Heart wasn't as spectacular, any tour coming after MDNA asthetically wouldn't come close!