MadonnaNation.com Forums
Skin

Was the MDNA Tour.....

Did a lot of this have to do with the late starts?

Also, as a fan I can appreciate her having the balls to put Revolver in her setlist, but I imagine this didn't help with the casuals.  The performance from the front rows would make up for this, but from the top of an arena, I would probably be pissed off.  (I did not attend)

Well, that was fun.  

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

3 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

What's amazing is that there are really no weak points to MDNA.  Even with Blond Ambition, does anyone really love the Dick Tracy parts?  Even the video interludes are perfection.

There are moments during Blond Ambition where the show falls flat if you ask me.  Yes I know it changed the face of live performance and it had moments of epic brilliance but I agree the Dick Tracy part was a dud.  

In my opinion MDNA was perfect from start to finish.

Those who were meant to get it, get it, and those you weren't, will never get it. :queenbitch:

2 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

MDNA is easily one of Madonna's most important achievements from an artistic and theatrical standpoint. That's just not up for debate. It's a mind blowing journey portrayed on stage that only SHE can do. While watching it, I was taken aback at it's sheer scope, size, and ferocity. I truly couldn't' believe I was watching a woman who was entering her 4th decade of touring. Women HALF her age would have issues keeping up with the kind of routine this tour demanded. It was a spectacle of epic proportions. 

HOWEVER.

It ABSOLUTELY destroyed her reputation with the general public as a touring act.

FACTS MATTER. It did. 

I credit Madonna for implementing her vision on stage for diehard fans in a way that only she can do. But I cringe at the thought of casual fans having to, literally, suffer through some of the song choices and segments. So this entire era and tour is a double edged sword. While it's a creative masterpiece, it also pushed A LOT of casual fans towards the exit. From a literal standpoint during the shows. I'll never forget the VITRIOL from people on our way back from to the city from the Philly show. It was outright hatred of the concert.

So, while she implemented a glorious vision for this tour, she also alienated a sizable chunk of her casual fanbase. When us diehards complain about her mainstream success, I will always point to this era as turning point in her career when she chose to go the route of keeping her 'base' satisfied and saying FUCK YOU to the rest. 

I just can't buy that.  Even if it wasn't a hit filled non stop dance party/fun carefree good time like Sticky and Sweet for example I still can not see how people wouldn't still be in awe simply watching it not knowing a bunch of songs.  Yes I can see people getting upset that Papa Don't Preach was chopped down to one verse and chorus, and Like a Virgin was pretty unrecognizable but still.  What a sensory overload the show still was.  I don't know.  I saw it at MSG and I heard no complaints on the way out or  on the train ride home.  

If anything I think what hurt Madonna in relation to Rebel Heart being more scaled back was the late starts, touring overload.  I mean she has been touring pretty consistently since 2001 and most can't afford to see her each time, and the fact that I believe she herself wanted something more scaled back and less complex and exhausting.  I think it was obvious that at the end of MDNA Madonna was burnt the fuck out and rightly so.  

Also if any tour was going to put a major dent in Madonna's ability to tour and draw massive crowds that tour would have been Drowned World.  Not MDNA.  A by and large dark tour that only contained TWO 80s songs after not touring for 8 years!?   If casual fans and simple curious everyday people were going to be outraged about a tour that was the one to be outraged about.  The fact that Madonna was able to pull off a tour like that still amazes me.  

Drowned World, though, she hadn't toured for years, and had a huge comeback and two very popular albums.

To think, though, she has always had a new album heavy setlist.  Like even with the Dick Tracy songs with BA, and Reinvention still had lots of American Life tracks. She just got lucky that with the Virgin Tour she had so many hits right from the start, and the same with Whos that girl, she was constantly releasing singles and they were all big hits.

The first section is amazing. The rest falls flat for me.

13 hours ago, mynameisdita said:

Truly remarkable for anyone let alone a performer in her 50s 30 years into her career.

Absolutely this! Though I'm not a big fan of the Tour as a whole, I love the aesthetics and the larger than life production feel of it. And I adore how hot and beautiful she looks during the first set of the show. 

26 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

No. CT was.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, LVX said:

The first section is amazing. The rest falls flat for me.

giphy (3).gif

2 hours ago, Skin said:

giphy (3).gif

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Skin said:

I just can't buy that.  Even if it wasn't a hit filled non stop dance party/fun carefree good time like Sticky and Sweet for example I still can not see how people wouldn't still be in awe simply watching it not knowing a bunch of songs.  Yes I can see people getting upset that Papa Don't Preach was chopped down to one verse and chorus, and Like a Virgin was pretty unrecognizable but still.  What a sensory overload the show still was.  I don't know.  I saw it at MSG and I heard no complaints on the way out or  on the train ride home.  

If anything I think what hurt Madonna in relation to Rebel Heart being more scaled back was the late starts, touring overload.  I mean she has been touring pretty consistently since 2001 and most can't afford to see her each time, and the fact that I believe she herself wanted something more scaled back and less complex and exhausting.  I think it was obvious that at the end of MDNA Madonna was burnt the fuck out and rightly so.  

I agree 100%

MDNAT was the biggest show happening on earth at that moment, if any kind of show depended on people knowing or expecting the plot or the music, the majority of them would be doomed from the beginning... of course there are many expectations when casual fans attend a Madonna concert, but I perceive getting an spectacular show would be #1 priority and that’s a warranty in any Madonna show and surely MDNT provided that. 

Theres also a methodology flaw in escalating our QUALITATIVE “research” like the ones we have in our friends or family or in a train coming back home from a concert... there’s no way we can extrapolate that kind of “findings” into what the general population is thinking, for that you would need a QUANTITATIVE “research” and we certainly don’t have that, we don’t have the means, the time or the research resources to do that... I think it’s better not to do generalizations that could or couldn’t apply to the “whole world of casual fans”... 

I also like you mentioned, perceive that there’s a market saturation and Madonna has reached certain market limit, but that’s only my perception...

It's PERFECTION from start to finish. One of the best experiences of my life. :bow::wow:

Really, nobody can touch this woman. 

Don’t know about other folks but I’ve grown to really enjoy most of the DVD as well. Still think it could’ve been overall better, just that I really enjoy watching from I’m a Sinner-LAP- Celebration. 

21 hours ago, Skin said:

Was the MDNA Tour one of Madonna's greatest achievements creatively, mentally, physically, spiritually and artistically?  A mind blowing feat from a woman in her mid 50s at the very top of her game as a live performer? 

The answer is yes.  

giphy (1).gif

YESSSSS

7 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

No. CT was.

The only good things about it were Future Lovers and Disco Inferno. The rest was just meh...

MDNA was glorious and fierce and had the best closing number, imho.

3 hours ago, Kilt said:

The only good things about it were Future Lovers and Disco Inferno. The rest was just meh...

I actually love the whole show from start to finish.

11 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

I actually love the whole show from start to finish.

Me too. Confessions is my favorite tour.

On 2017-12-03 at 9:30 PM, KalamazooJay said:

MDNA is easily one of Madonna's most important achievements from an artistic and theatrical standpoint. That's just not up for debate. It's a mind blowing journey portrayed on stage that only SHE can do. While watching it, I was taken aback at it's sheer scope, size, and ferocity. I truly couldn't' believe I was watching a woman who was entering her 4th decade of touring. Women HALF her age would have issues keeping up with the kind of routine this tour demanded. It was a spectacle of epic proportions. 

HOWEVER.

It ABSOLUTELY destroyed her reputation with the general public as a touring act.

FACTS MATTER. It did. 

I credit Madonna for implementing her vision on stage for diehard fans in a way that only she can do. But I cringe at the thought of casual fans having to, literally, suffer through some of the song choices and segments. So this entire era and tour is a double edged sword. While it's a creative masterpiece, it also pushed A LOT of casual fans towards the exit. From a literal standpoint during the shows. I'll never forget the VITRIOL from people on our way back from to the city from the Philly show. It was outright hatred of the concert.

So, while she implemented a glorious vision for this tour, she also alienated a sizable chunk of her casual fanbase. When us diehards complain about her mainstream success, I will always point to this era as turning point in her career when she chose to go the route of keeping her 'base' satisfied and saying FUCK YOU to the rest. 

This.

It was a fantastic show but for diehard fans only. My friends are casual fans and have all hated the show. None of them bought tickets for RHT because of the bad night they had spent at MDNAT.

She was 2:30 hours late for most of shows! It really became a test of patience for the public

while it's visually outstanding, I think that musically it's not very strong, a lot of the songs are just album versions without live instruments.