MadonnaNation.com Forums
Skin

Was the MDNA Tour.....

Was the MDNA Tour one of Madonna's greatest achievements creatively, mentally, physically, spiritually and artistically?  A mind blowing feat from a woman in her mid 50s at the very top of her game as a live performer? 

The answer is yes.  

giphy (1).gif

Its been about 5 years and I still can not lick the ass of this tour enough.  It was everything.  

The one addition I would have made and I have said this before would have been to add Causing a Commotion to the too short Cheerleader section .

I was just thinking about this tour. I was thinking, in retrospect, it would have been cool if Madonna had an ever changing line up of songs in the section where she sang Like A Virgin/Love Spent, the way she did with the acoustic section of The Rebel Heart Tour.

Wise fans love MDNA Tour.

But before the whining cunts come into this thread complaining how this magnificent show was "too dark", "the first section was too violent", "Madonna herself was just a fucking prop behind all the spectacles" and God knows what else stupid comments they will type, 

I honestly think it's better to have this thread locked. 

And before it gets locked, I will say this again: 

The Greatest Live Movie of All-Time:

TRANSGRESSION

g4eH9qG.png

1. "Virgin Mary"

2. "Girl Gone Wild" 

3. "Revolver"

4. "Gang Bang" 

5. "Papa Don't Preach"

6. "Hung Up" 

7. "I Don't Give A"

8. "Best Friend"/"Heartbeat" 

Absolutely!

Possibly my favorite tour of hers.  I can't believe some people prefer Rebel heart, a huge step down, IMO. 

She looked great though, especially during the 1st section & the Vogue / Candy Shop phase.

1 hour ago, Skin said:

The one addition I would have made and I have said this before would have been to add Causing a Commotion to the too short Cheerleader section .

Agreed ♥️ 

2 hours ago, Skin said:

HELL TO THE YES!!!!!!

Yep strongly feel it was exceptional & impresive to see in person! Tend to connect & be more interested in the darker phasei of Madonna’s music, tours, & aesthetics.

Think NO one else today could approach Madonna’s performance for gang bang or love spent. In contrast, look how silly Taylor & Gaga often appear when they try to project an edginess to their sexuality. 

This is easily her second best tour for me. It's going to be hard to ever beat BA just because it was so revolutionary, she was at her peak, the issues she tackled and the state of the world at the time. It was a moment in time that just can't be duplicated ever......but enough about BA.....you can't go wrong with Madonna live ever really but she especially blew me away with MDNA. Yes, it was massive but for me it didn't take away from HER...in fact in the midst of all that, she was always still the star of the show to me. The choreography especially blew me away on this tour. Not that all of her tours aren't physically demanding but at 53-54 years old....I honestly thought the days of THIS kind of movement were left back in the 90's....she completely exceeded my expectations with this tour. Also love how "old school" Madonna this tour was in terms of how she looked, the themes and the overall controversy surrounding this tour. It was definitely her most interesting tour to follow...outside of possibly BA of course. 

LOVE everything before and LOVE RHT as well but Madonna singing Like A Virgin ten feet in front of me with that old (new) Madonna face in a bra, just emoting, being her effortlessly sexy and seductive self is something that will always stand out among my Madonna tour experiences. It's easily the highlight at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

Yep strongly feel it was exceptional & impresive to see in person! Tend to connect & be more interested in the darker phasei of Madonna’s music, tours, & aesthetics.

Think NO one else today could approach Madonna’s performance for gang bang or love spent. In contrast, look how silly Taylor & Gaga often appear when they try to project an edginess to their sexuality. 

The entire first section is just one big violent, gay, religious, Grindhouse like film of epic proportions put together masterfully on all levels that put every other pop bitch and live performer in general to shame because of its scope and perfection.  

Makes me look back and not give a shit that we didn't get any promo for the album which we were all bitching about at the time because the tour completely made up for it.  

funny i was just watching the videos on this account last night and thinking the same. https://www.youtube.com/user/madonnamontreal2012/videos

Truly remarkable for anyone let alone a performer in her 50s 30 years into her career. Definitely in her top 3 best tours ever along with Blond Ambition and the Girlie Show. The Paris Olympia show was EVERYTHING as well.

12 minutes ago, Skin said:

The entire first section is just one big violent, gay, religious, Grindhouse like film of epic proportions put together masterfully on all levels that put every other pop bitch and live performer in general to shame because of its scope and perfection.  

Makes me look back and not give a shit that we didn't get any promo for the album which we were all bitching about at the time because the tour completely made up for it.  

I could rewatch the first section of the tour for hours. perfect description. Gang Bang is truly the best live performance I've ever witnessed.

The MDNA Tour is one of Madonna's greatest artistic achievements. Controversial, creative, iconic, stylish, rebel, a show where dancing, singing, politics, social issues and fashion come all together. 

The opening is breathtaking, the moment when the walls of the cathedral fall is just crazy.

The I Don't Give A ending is mindblowing.

Vogue is like a fashion show inside a concert.

Like a Virgin/ Love Spent is pure performance art bliss.

Celebration is one of her most energetic live moments. 

Not to mention this tour was an outstanding commercial success. 

Blond Ambition, Confessions, Girlie Show and MDNA are visually stunning and are the Big 4 of her touring career,  with MDNA and BAT being her most physically demanding tours too. 

I've seen this tour live and it was magical, maybe even too complex for a stadium tour, definitely not for everyone. Still, those who "got it" had a blast. 

I remember when pictures started rolling in from opening night I thought the ones of the cathedral at the start was an actual built set.  Was shocked when I found out it was screens because it was so crystal clear. 

5 hours ago, Skin said:

Was the MDNA Tour one of Madonna's greatest achievements creatively, mentally, physically, spiritually and artistically?  A mind blowing feat from a woman in her mid 50s at the very top of her game as a live performer? 

The answer is yes.  

Yes! 

I think we will see many other creative, spiritual and artistical peaks... 

Physically it was an impressive achievement... 

What's amazing is that there are really no weak points to MDNA.  Even with Blond Ambition, does anyone really love the Dick Tracy parts?  Even the video interludes are perfection.

6 hours ago, Skin said:

Its been about 5 years and I still can not lick the ass of this tour enough.  It was everything.  

5 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

And before it gets locked, I will say this again: 

The Greatest Live Movie of All-Time:

TRANSGRESSION

g4eH9qG.png

1. "Virgin Mary"

2. "Girl Gone Wild" 

3. "Revolver"

4. "Gang Bang" 

5. "Papa Don't Preach"

6. "Hung Up" 

7. "I Don't Give A"

8. "Best Friend"/"Heartbeat" 

3 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

This is easily her second best tour for me. It's going to be hard to ever beat BA just because it was so revolutionary, she was at her peak, the issues she tackled and the state of the world at the time. It was a moment in time that just can't be duplicated ever......but enough about BA.....you can't go wrong with Madonna live ever really but she especially blew me away with MDNA. Yes, it was massive but for me it didn't take away from HER...in fact in the midst of all that, she was always still the star of the show to me. The choreography especially blew me away on this tour. Not that all of her tours aren't physically demanding but at 53-54 years old....I honestly thought the days of THIS kind of movement were left back in the 90's....she completely exceeded my expectations with this tour. Also love how "old school" Madonna this tour was in terms of how she looked, the themes and the overall controversy surrounding this tour. It was definitely her most interesting tour to follow...outside of possibly BA of course. 

LOVE everything before and LOVE RHT as well but Madonna singing Like A Virgin ten feet in front of me with that old (new) Madonna face in a bra, just emoting, being her effortlessly sexy and seductive self is something that will always stand out among my Madonna tour experiences. It's easily the highlight at this point. 

ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a work of pure ART - in every sense of the word. What puts Madonna on a completely different level than EVERY SINGLE ONE of her peers. 

Hands down her most prolific tour of the latter half of her career so far. BA - MDNA ... two sides of the coin.

MDNA is easily one of Madonna's most important achievements from an artistic and theatrical standpoint. That's just not up for debate. It's a mind blowing journey portrayed on stage that only SHE can do. While watching it, I was taken aback at it's sheer scope, size, and ferocity. I truly couldn't' believe I was watching a woman who was entering her 4th decade of touring. Women HALF her age would have issues keeping up with the kind of routine this tour demanded. It was a spectacle of epic proportions. 

HOWEVER.

It ABSOLUTELY destroyed her reputation with the general public as a touring act.

FACTS MATTER. It did. 

I credit Madonna for implementing her vision on stage for diehard fans in a way that only she can do. But I cringe at the thought of casual fans having to, literally, suffer through some of the song choices and segments. So this entire era and tour is a double edged sword. While it's a creative masterpiece, it also pushed A LOT of casual fans towards the exit. From a literal standpoint during the shows. I'll never forget the VITRIOL from people on our way back from to the city from the Philly show. It was outright hatred of the concert.

So, while she implemented a glorious vision for this tour, she also alienated a sizable chunk of her casual fanbase. When us diehards complain about her mainstream success, I will always point to this era as turning point in her career when she chose to go the route of keeping her 'base' satisfied and saying FUCK YOU to the rest.