MadonnaNation.com Forums
Crux

What do you think of Gloria Estefan?

Just wondering what you guys think of Gloria?

I kinda went off of her in the mid 90's, but her work with Miami Sound Machine was pop bliss, imo.

Love her a lot up through the 90s...have several of her/MSM albums

Heaven’s What Feel, Reach, Conga, Dr Beat, Turn The Beat Around, Bad Boy, Can’t Stay Away From You, Words Get In The Way, Rhythm’s Gonna Get You, 1-2-3, Anything For You, Get On Your Feet are a few of my favorites from her!

Not my type of music, but did like how she paid homage to her Cuban roots on “Mi Tierra”.  Thought a few tracks sounded good & reminds me of Miami.

I’m with you. Not into her solo stuff much but her work with Miami Sound Machine is timeless.

Conga is a certified bop. 

She was a bit overrated because she is not a great performer.  I mean, there's hundreds of Latinas that could have sounded the same and danced the same, have the same regular looks and stage presence.  Emilio Stefan was the clue all her career. Especially in those 80s years. 

That said,  she is so nice and warm and has such great songs that she's kinda iconic. I love how she respects Madonna and Madonna respects her. 

Oh and I wonder if she would have lasted that long if that car accident didn't happen.  It was such a shock to know that she may be forever in a wheelchair and then she fought so hard during her recovery and translated all that into the song Reach... It was a magical and emotional moment,  followed by the next single Oye Mi Canto (Hear My Voice),  which was so popular!  That album Cut Both Ways really did make her as an artist.  

We public love so much real stories about personal struggle and fight :lol:

Pretty much the same. Grew up with her and her music and loved most of her stuff until "Gloria!". Then I kinda lost track. I liked "Unwrapped" but from that point onwards I kinda stopped paying attention.

Wish she would do a greatest hits tour or something. Would be lots of fun.

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Oh and I wonder if she would have lasted that long if that car accident didn't happen.  It was such a shock to know that she may be forever in a wheelchair and then she fought so hard during her recovery and translated all that into the song Reach... It was a magical and emotional moment,  followed by the next single Oye Mi Canto (Hear My Voice),  which was so popular!  That album Cut Both Ways really did make her as an artist.  

We public love so much real stories about personal struggle and fight :lol:

Hate to correct you....but the song for Gloria’s return from the accident was “Coming Out Of The Dark” from the album Into The Light In 1991...the album Cuts Both Ways came out in 1989.....and the song “Reach” was for The Olympics 1996

Her best is her Spanish records such as Mi Tierra, Alma Caribeña... Gloria! is a masterpiece.

I didn't know about her tour acident. The photos in Google Images look scary. :blink:

I like her. I don't know all her discography, but the singles that I've heard of I like:

Anything For You
Don't Wanna Lose You
Here We Are
Bad Boy
Rhythm Is Gonna Get You
Reach

I only like one song from her, name of that song I cant remember though. But it was good, I think her worldwide smash hit

Loved a lot of her songs.  Both with Miami Sound Machine and solo.  Love that she sings with passion and feeling and she never over sings her ballads too.  

2 hours ago, Aries said:

Hate to correct you....but the song for Gloria’s return from the accident was “Coming Out Of The Dark” from the album Into The Light In 1991...the album Cuts Both Ways came out in 1989.....and the song “Reach” was for The Olympics 1996

You're right. I was reading @karbatal post and I was like: god, I'm so mixed up - alwas thought Coming out of the dark was the come back song after her accident... 

She was very popular before the accident - Cut both ways has many hits, indeed.

Love me some Glo! She was one of the few foreign language acts we got exposure to in the UK.

I love the remixes from the Mi Tierra era

great dub mix

and I love this song!

and most recently

And lots of people love this mix when I posted it last

and this is a great summery mix!

I like some of her music but I don't like her voice. Is she always flat or something?

I remember very vividly this video being in heavy rotation on VH1 in the fall of '91:

She performed at Dick Clark's New Year's Eve show this year. It was a huge relief and stark contrast to Mimi's disastrous mime fail mess the same night! I was happy singing Gloria sing her hits LIVE with passion and moving with energy. She looked so happy on stage there in Times Square. Mimi could barely walk across the stage unassisted and looked so disinterested and miserable. So unprofessional and lazy! Never forget!

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Aries said:

OMG it's true! I had those songs mixed up. Yes, Coming Out of the Dark I meant. 

Oh, I had all mixed up. What was then the second single of The Light? I recall that she was so popular back then. And then just a couple of years later she released Mi Tierra and in Spain her success was MONUMENTAL! 

11 hours ago, runa said:

You're right. I was reading @karbatal post and I was like: god, I'm so mixed up - alwas thought Coming out of the dark was the come back song after her accident... 

She was very popular before the accident - Cut both ways has many hits, indeed.

Yes, she was very popular before. 

Now that I know the correct chronology, I think I was wrong, because I always thought that she went solo after the accident, but that's not the case. 

Remember when Emilio promoted Jon Secada afterwards? He was Gloria's male version. He had a hit but disappeared soon. He was a great composer, though 

18 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Remember when Emilio promoted Jon Secada afterwards? He was Gloria's male version. He had a hit but disappeared soon. He was a great composer, though 

Love this song. Otra Diamond Mas Sin Verte was out when I was in Spain. But yes one hit wonder!

Are there any other artists like them out there instead of just Enrique and Ricky who I never really cared much for.

Poor Jon. 

Something happened to me years ago with Jon Secada. I was studying Journalism in Madrid and to have a bit of fun I used to go to the television as a public in lots of tv programs. One of them had Jon Secada there presenting his new single (the one that flopped) and there was a fan club in the audience. But the producers thought my friends and I were the fans, so Jon came to greet us. And we were absolutely deadpanned and nonimpressed. Meanwhile, in the other side of the studio the fans were screaming and crying :lmao:

Jon was so confused. I remember he looking at me like "aren't you happy i'm shaking hands with you?" and all I thought was "omg you are far more ugly in person". 

23 minutes ago, karbatal said:

What was then the second single of The Light?

Seal Our Fate’ was the 2nd single release Apr 1991...but nowhere as big...only hit #53 on BB100...Jun ‘91 was 3rd single Can’t Forget You, which also failed to enter Top 40 territory stalling at #43...but managed #2 Adult Contemporary... the 4th and final single Live For Loving You made it to #22 Hot 100, .and also a #2 hit on Adult Contemporary 

Gloria also wrote Shakira’s US breakout hit Whenever, Wherever