MadonnaNation.com Forums
Crux

What do you think of Gloria Estefan?

20 hours ago, Crux said:

Just wondering what you guys think of Gloria?

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, Aries said:

Gloria also wrote Shakira’s US breakout hit Whenever, Wherever 

Well, I have to take back many things I said about Gloria in this thread. 

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

Remember when Emilio promoted Jon Secada afterwards? He was Gloria's male version. He had a hit but disappeared soon. He was a great composer, though 

I used to love that song, but damn! It's s cheesy... :lol:

I like her as a person, she's seems so genuine & sweet...but her out output besides a couple of kitschy 80's

tunes like Conga & Dr. Beat is just rubbish. 1-2-3-4, Get on Your Feet & those ballads r just cringeworthy.

I like Mi Tierra the album though...

2 minutes ago, acko said:

I like her as a person, she's seems so genuine & sweet...but her out output besides a couple of kitschy 80's

tunes like Conga & Dr. Beat is just rubbish. 1-2-3-4, Get on Your Feet & those ballads r just cringeworthy.

NO!

18 minutes ago, Crux said:

NO!

Are you a big fan? They r showing a new interview with her on Dutch tv she did with students in Amsterdam (?)
on december 8, I'll try and get u a link after its shown.

3 hours ago, acko said:

Are you a big fan? They r showing a new interview with her on Dutch tv she did with students in Amsterdam (?)
on december 8, I'll try and get u a link after its shown.

I don't consider myself an obsessive fan (like I am With Madonna), but I wouldn't mind watching that. Thanks. :angel:

Major major guilty pleasure -

It's a song that never fails to make me smile whenever I hear it! 

Love Gloria.  I haven't really gotten into any of her music since 2003's Unwrapped, though, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite albums.  She has countless pop classics from her days with Miami Sound Machine, and some really great solo ballads like "I See Your Smile".  Like Dolly Parton, she's one of those artists who I've had a love for since I was a child, even when I didn't have that much interest in music.  There was just something about her presence.  

But I do agree with @karbatal that she is not the greatest live performer.

Get on your feet

giphy.gif

get up and make it happen

leslie-comeback-kid.gif

My favourite artist after Madonna! 

On 2017-11-29 at 7:55 AM, acko said:

IMG_2638.GIF

On 29/11/2017 at 9:14 AM, karbatal said:

Remember when Emilio promoted Jon Secada afterwards? He was Gloria's male version. He had a hit but disappeared soon. He was a great composer, though 

I remember him saying he was with Madonna when she had her belly button pierced and that she fainted.

I do love this cheesy song too!

I enjoy some of her music but she never really did much for me. It really comes down to her voice, which I think is pretty weak. I've always thought she was way too safe with her solo output and kind of sold her Cuban soul to record executives to make sappy late 80's ballads. I wish she would've embraced Cuban music the way she did with Miami Sound Machine. Then she went off into Cher territory with some Euro techno and totally lost me. 

But she's been around a long time and is a legend in her own right. So kudos to her. 

7 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

I enjoy some of her music but she never really did much for me. It really comes down to her voice, which I think is pretty weak. I've always thought she was way too safe with her solo output and kind of sold her Cuban soul to record executives to make sappy late 80's ballads. I wish she would've embraced Cuban music the way she did with Miami Sound Machine. Then she went off into Cher territory with some Euro techno and totally lost me. 

But she's been around a long time and is a legend in her own right. So kudos to her. 

The 90s were REALLY HARD for 80s artists. Now music barely evolves but back then every two years it was a very different story. 

15 hours ago, karbatal said:

The 90s were REALLY HARD for 80s artists. Now music barely evolves but back then every two years it was a very different story. 

I loved to have been born in the 90's. First album I was ever introduced to was Ray of Light as a fetus. I remember being mesmerized by Madonna morphing into birds in the mv for Frozen. I would also get my groove on to Ray of Light and one time ended up slapping my cousin with a spoon for changing the radio station to a channel playing Barbie Girl by Aqua :wacko:

I adore Gloria. Great songs, including some tried and true pop classics. Unique voice that still holds up, and doesn't try to overpower anything or pass itself off as something it isn't (like so many other singers). Always thought she came off very genuine and endearing....and the way she came back from that horrific accident that nearly killed her.
One of the few that has continued chugging along...and over music's last couple decades, that's saying something. Perhaps because she never played the over-used 'diva' card.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:46 AM, Aries said:

Love her a lot up through the 90s...have several of her/MSM albums

Heaven’s What Feel, Reach, Conga, Dr Beat, Turn The Beat Around, Bad Boy, Can’t Stay Away From You, Words Get In The Way, Rhythm’s Gonna Get You, 1-2-3, Anything For You, Get On Your Feet are a few of my favorites from her!

Yep! Love all these songs

On 11/28/2017 at 8:48 AM, Crux said:

Just wondering what you guys think of Gloria?

I kinda went off of her in the mid 90's, but her work with Miami Sound Machine was pop bliss, imo.

^ This just played on MTVClassic! I had no idea it was the original version of:

She’s cheesey and cliché. 

I meant her music, not her. I’m sure she’s a fine lady.