MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vocalism

Vogue 7" Single Version Appreciation

I know "Vogue" is perfect the way it is, but I've always loved the 4:19 7" single mix they played (and still play) on U.S. radio. The way it starts is simple but powerful, with the iconic "What are you lookin' at?" 

I tried to find it on YouTube to post here, but don't see it anywhere! :americanlife:

I love it...bought it on cassingle back in the day of release...also think it seems a tad faster than the album longer versions

That's odd. It was on YouTube not too long ago. It was the one with the "Whooooo!!!" in the intro right?

Just now, dylanciccone_ said:

It was the one with the "Whooooo!!!" in the intro right?

Yes

5 hours ago, vocalism said:

I know "Vogue" is perfect the way it is, but I've always loved the 4:19 7" single mix they played (and still play) on U.S. radio. The way it starts is simple but powerful, with the iconic "What are you lookin' at?" 

I tried to find it on YouTube to post here, but don't see it anywhere! :americanlife:

Agreed. That intro is so exuberant and free. I loved it. 

9 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/t8rhbt

I think this is the one y'all are talking about

Yes thank you!

Also, anyone know what that sort of bubbly underwater synth sound is from :05 to :20? I've always noticed that it's more prominent in some mixes than others. It's pretty high in the mix here. You can also hear it during the bridge and "rap." Is it a sample or something original to Shep's production?

A 7.14min extended instrumental version of this mix leaked a while back. Has anyone attempted to make a vocal version of it?

8 hours ago, vocalism said:

Also, anyone know what that sort of bubbly underwater synth sound is from :05 to :20? I've always noticed that it's more prominent in some mixes than others. It's pretty high in the mix here. You can also hear it during the bridge and "rap." Is it a sample or something original to Shep's production?

That's a sample from the beginning of "Lucky Star" slowed down. Shep also used bits of "Like A Virgin" in some of the mixes.

The Single Version of "Vogue" has the intro the way it was recorded by Madonna.

Then, a portion of a remix called the Bette Davis Dub was spliced onto the intro of the Single Version to create the music video soundtrack. (Listen for the rough edit around the 1:05 mark of the album/video version. The bass lines of the two mixes differ and it suddenly changes. From this point on the I'm Breathless and Single Versions are identical.)

This video edit became the I'm Breathless album version.

Before the release of I'm Breathless, a promotional compilation from Japan called 1983-1990 included a longer (though not full length) edit of the Single Version with some extra chorus repeats and an alternate extended ending that fades out with additional vocals (these are also heard in remixed form on the 12" Version.)

IMG_0143.jpg

2 hours ago, Mattress said:

The Single Version of "Vogue" has the intro the way it was recorded by Madonna.

Then, a portion of a remix called the Bette Davis Dub was spliced onto the intro of the Single Version to create the music video soundtrack. (Listen for the rough edit around the 1:05 mark of the album/video version. The bass lines of the two mixes differ and it suddenly changes. From this point on the I'm Breathless and Single Versions are identical.)

This video edit became the I'm Breathless album version.

Before the release of I'm Breathless, a promotional compilation from Japan called 1983-1990 included a longer (though not full length) edit of the Single Version with some extra chorus repeats and an alternate extended ending that fades out with additional vocals (these are also heard in remixed form on the 12" Version.)

IMG_0143.jpg

I hate that ending! Vogue's cold ending is something that shouldn't be messed with. 

But anyway...what you're saying is that the album version was intended as a remix with the single version being intended as the true version?

I love the single version, it gets straight to the point, I always put it on playlists at parties.

Love it more than the video version..

22 hours ago, Mattress said:

That's a sample from the beginning of "Lucky Star" slowed down. Shep also used bits of "Like A Virgin" in some of the mixes.

Mind, blown. I recognized the LAV samples back in the day, but never knew this about LS. 

9 minutes ago, vocalism said:

Mind, blown. I recognized the LAV samples back in the day, but never knew this about LS. 

Mine too - still learning stuff!