MadonnaNation.com Forums

True Blue produced better videos tho. But that's for another thread.

6 minutes ago, Shaun said:

We need a poll! @Sloane

This.

I’m going with EROTIC-A but I still may be heavily under the influence of the recent erotica anniversary thread. That thread made me relieve all the greatness of the Dita era over again in great detail. T R U E💙B L U E is a great though. 

Erotica hands down. 

I have so much respect for everything about Erotica.....her choice to go completely left field with her sound and abandon (in a lot of ways) her traditional "pop song" formula of the time, her message, the art, the cohesion in sound and theme gave it a seedy atmosphere that was simply perfect. It's all brilliant! BUT.....

True Blue simply has the better crafted songs. Period. Pat is a classically trained musician and it shows. Stuff like LTT and PDP sound almost cinematic, "grand", sophisticated and there's just nothing like that on Erotica. The Madonna of Erotica onward was certainly more experimental, bold and diverse with her sound......but the straight up pop songs from the 80's are just hard to beat in terms of craftsmanship and universal appeal. Songs like OYH, TB, WTP are just so effortlessly brilliant...timeless, classics! Madonna was in peak voice on TB as well. Listen to it on vinyl and you can feel the passion in her voice oozing out of the speakers. 

One gripe about Erotica that took me some time to get over was the fact that she's pretty much speaking to deliver a lot of the vocals....which totally works for what she's trying to convey  and the feel of that album.....but at 12 years old I didn't care about that, I just wanted to hear some good POP songs and hear her actually sing. Even now, I have to be in the right time and place to give Erotica a listen all the way through.

Although Bad Girl had a great story video

How about “Blue Erotica”

Papa Don’t Preach, Deeper And Deeper, Where’s The Party, Bad Girl, True Blue , Rain 

Erotica, Open Your Heart, Thief Of Hearts, La Isla Bonita, Waiting, Live To Tell

Hard one but i think True Blue wins it for me. The singles plus White Heat and Wheres the Party are just perfect and i never get tired of them.

Erotica could have been my favorite album if every song was about a minute and a half shorter (except maybe the singles). Some songs just drag in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I have so much respect for everything about Erotica.....her choice to go completely left field with her sound and abandon (in a lot of ways) her traditional "pop song" formula of the time, her message, the art, the cohesion in sound and theme gave it a seedy atmosphere that was simply perfect. It's all brilliant! BUT.....

True Blue simply has the better crafted songs. Period. Pat is a classically trained musician and it shows. Stuff like LTT and PDP sound almost cinematic, "grand", sophisticated and there's just nothing like that on Erotica. The Madonna of Erotica onward was certainly more experimental, bold and diverse with her sound......but the straight up pop songs from the 80's are just hard to beat in terms of craftsmanship and universal appeal. Songs like OYH, TB, WTP are just so effortlessly brilliant...timeless, classics! Madonna was in peak voice on TB as well. Listen to it on vinyl and you can feel the passion in her voice oozing out of the speakers. 

One gripe about Erotica that took me some time to get over was the fact that she's pretty much speaking to deliver a lot of the vocals....which totally works for what she's trying to convey  and the feel of that album.....but at 12 years old I didn't care about that, I just wanted to hear some good POP songs and hear her actually sing. Even now, I have to be in the right time and place to give Erotica a listen all the way through.

I agree with all of this. :thumbsup: I adore Erotica but TB wins.

TRUE BLUE because every single track is gold. not a single filler. never gets old for me.

but... EROTICA has DEEPER AND DEEPER which trumps every single track on TRUE BLLUE. can't pick an entire album just based on that.. 

I'd love to say erotica but I can't pick it when it's up against Live To Tell or Papa don't preach, and so many other classics

for the singles, true blue.

for the art, the album.. erotica

If I’m hungry...Erotica (WLB)....when I want to dance...True Blue (WTP)

when I’m horny...Erotica (E)....when I want romance...True Blue (LIB)

and if I want pussy...I just look in the mirror!

Erotica. I might be a bit biased in that I was old enough to live the insanity that was the Erotica era but was only 5 for True Blue and couldn't experience much more than hearing La Isla everywhere and seeing how my lion haired crush now looked like a grandma with short white hair LOL.

If I could only have one... True Blue... Who the hell would want to live outside of Papa Don't Preach, Live to Tell, True Blue, Open Your Heart and La Isla Bonita? 

Erotica on the other hand gave us Dita...

But Erotica must Take a Bow to True Blue.  Too many classics to give up...

17 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

Both are great, but if I had to rank them, track by track:

tumblr_nwizfsYP1v1qlycwjo1_r1_500.jpg

Lord forgive me for what I'm about to say but I actually think the album cover is better too :sneaky:

No!!!!  I love you but.... NO!  Hands down, True Blue is her absolutely best album cover.

tumblr_inline_mp9sgyL2t71qz4rgp.png

1 hour ago, sul8323 said:

No!!!!  I love you but.... NO!  Hands down, True Blue is her absolutely best album cover.

tumblr_inline_mp9sgyL2t71qz4rgp.png

TB hasn’t been a personal favorite of mine, but agree that cover is beautiful.....💙

Erotica as an album for sure.

Though it is funny that you chose these albums since many consider Erotica to be the anti-True Blue. In True Blue it was all about making a connection to an other person, linear stories, love etc. Erotica is very post-modern and all about deconstruction, the failure to make a connection and basically depicts the basic instinct for lust. 

True Blue of course!

I dislike TB as an album. :fag:

True Blue; those 5 singles are so monumental

Both are amazing albums with two totally different concepts.  But to pick between the two....I have to say TRUE BLUE.