MadonnaNation.com Forums
Aries

Elton John....Diva for sure...but 70s Icon

Apparently people bought Candle in the Wind ‘97 single by the millions 11 I believe here in US

1 hour ago, Lolo said:

And I also like to add that I always thought it a bit tasteless to just recycle a song in memory of a dead person. He wrote this song for Marilyn and then just took it to put Diana's name in there? I don't know, it's been a cheap move. I never liked it.

To me I think it was deliberate as they were both taken too soon, both victims of fame, both died in dubious circumstances. The song also does reflect the feeling that others were to blame and it wasn't just an accident. It suited the mood what with Diana's brothers speech too.

And, to be fair, he had just lost a friend and barely had any time to write a new song. Can you imagine the pressure it would put on him to come up with a song so quickly that would seen and heard by millions. In the circumstances, I think it was fair enough. You'd all be typing here that the new song was crap and he should have just changed the lyrics. :grins:

3 minutes ago, Aries said:

You guys are forgetting...Bernie writes the lyrics...Elton has said he doesn’t write down a word. He might have asked Bernie to do so, but he didn’t write words

True but it still seems wrong. That song was so identified with Marilyn. It would be like someone writing a beautiful song about Madonna and then deciding to use it for some other famous singer, actress or celebrity that died by changing up some words. 

Bernie wrote beautiful lyrics and was a major talent. 

Bernie said back in the 70s the song says Marilyn (as he was a fan)...but was actually intended meaning for many like James Dean, Montgomery Clift...anyone who died before their time

I myself like (and only have) the 1973 version, and 87 live version about Marilyn

16 minutes ago, Aries said:

Bernie said back in the 70s the song says Marilyn (as he was a fan)...but was actually intended meaning for many like James Dean, Montgomery Clift...anyone who died before their time

But the words were so specific to Marilyn. About how she died, using her real name as Norma Jean and Marilyn Monroe in the lyrics.

7 hours ago, runa said:

So he has the right to be rude and mean, but I can't ? 

Sorry, I don't buy that. 

You all excuse his ugliness because he's a man. If he was a woman you would all say worst thing than what I said. 
Truth hurts apparently. 

Nah, I see what you mean but there is no excuse for his bitchiness, I certainly don't excuse him - he remains a Maris Piper potato faced asshole from Pinner who gave us some excellent songs in the 70s. Yep. Forty years ago. Nothing much memorable from the 80s onwards. And fuck candle in the motherfucking wind. That's all.

he showed a fantastic talent in the 70's. From the 80's onwards, he offered a musical production sailing from correct to mediocre. From that time, his dirty mouth and crappy attitude made him downright intolerable.

He's indeed a bitch of the highest order, but I love him to bits. Saw him live five years ago, just him and his piano and he was absolutely wonderful. I said it before and I'll say it again: the only reason Elton disses Madonna in public is because she isn't open to a musical collaboration. You see, Patrick Leonard produced many, if not most of his latest albums .

I love Elton John. His talent as a lyricist and musician is simply indisputable. The output he had throughout the 70s is some of the best music from that era and still sounds good to this day. His 80s work is pretty spotty at best, but he’s released some of his best work with his last couple of albums  

I never took his criticism of Madonna very seriously. And it’s pretty clear she didn’t either. 

20 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

But the words were so specific to Marilyn. About how she died, using her real name as Norma Jean and Marilyn Monroe in the lyrics.

And the VIDEO!

6 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

I never took his criticism of Madonna very seriously. And it’s pretty clear she didn’t either. 

Wasn't it Bernie Taupin who wrote all his classic lyrics?

On 23/11/2017 at 6:34 PM, acko said:

Wasn't it Bernie Taupin who wrote all his classic lyrics?

Yes and Elton does the melody

His discography is the definition of "excellence ".

Feel sorry for him

3 hours ago, LSD said:

I wonder if this will make him reevaluate his life - supposedly it was her dislike of David that drove a wedge between them as he was driving away Elton's old friends.

Furnish gives me such bad vibes it wouldn't surprise me if this makes Elton wake up and kick him to the kerb. 

Elton is a pain and a moody drama queen but I think Madonna just laughs his bitchy stupid outbursts off.  She likes his music. She just tagged him with a video of David playing "I'm still standing" on the piano and called it a family favourite. I bet he would love it :lmao:

On 24/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, horn said:

When did he do this?

@karbatal. You would have to love the song Daniel by Elton John. 

When I was young and my mum played it, I used to be fascinated with Spain because of the lyrics. I always picture images to music and the lyrics of  "Daniel is flying tonight on a plane,  I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain" and then again with "They say Spain is pretty but I've never been, Daniel says it's the best place that he has ever seen, o'h and he should know, he's been there enough. 

Such a sad, melancholy song. 

On 12/5/2017 at 2:33 AM, jonski43 said:

Feel sorry for him

I wonder if this will make him reevaluate his life - supposedly it was her dislike of David that drove a wedge between them as he was driving away Elton's old friends.

Furnish gives me such bad vibes it wouldn't surprise me if this makes Elton wake up and kick him to the kerb. 

If furnish is that horrible then it's match.

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@karbatal. You would have to love the song Daniel by Elton John. 

When I was young and my mum played it, I used to be fascinated with Spain because of the lyrics. I always picture images to music and the lyrics of  "Daniel is flying tonight on a plane,  I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain" and then again with "They say Spain is pretty but I've never been, Daniel says it's the best place that he has ever seen, o'h and he should know, he's been there enough. 

Such a sad, melancholy song. 

Yes I know.  I love this song so much.  

When I was a kid I was surprised that anyone named Spain at all!  Before we entered the EU and after 40 years of isolation because of the dictature we were considered such a zero!!!  :lol:

Imagine when Madonna sang La Isla Bonita we were so shocked!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Elton is a pain and a moody drama queen but I think Madonna just laughs his bitchy stupid outbursts off.  She likes his music. She just tagged him with a video of David playing "I'm still standing" on the piano and called it a family favourite. I bet he would love it :lmao:

Yes.  Madonna separates perfectly the diva from the artist and she truly admires and respects Elton as an artist. 

12 hours ago, Toni said:

When did he do this?

The rainforest fundraising event.