MadonnaNation.com Forums
Aries

Elton John....Diva for sure...but 70s Icon

5 hours ago, Kilt said:

that's because his attitude eclipses his work

not to me, but I agree that he is very difficult to like because of his envy to madonna.

And I don´t agree about him not having good songs after he left the drugs: his work with Patrick Leonard was very good, or his lion king´s soundtrack. well, at least the singles.

90s was a decade for popular slow tempo songs....Madonna, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, Vanessa Williams, Wilson Phillips, countless Disney themes...wasn’t all grunge & Dance beats that decade

I like many of his 90s Adult Contemporary Hits....Believe, The One, Sacrifice, Something About The Way You Look Tonight, Blessed, Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Circle Of Life, Simple Life, Club At The End Of The Street, Written In The Stars (w/ Leann Rimes), You Gotta Love Someone, The Last Song

12 hours ago, pjcowley said:

Neither am I, but when they work it's very pleasant to listen to and that duet with Kiki Dee was excellent. What do you reckon about this one with Cher? ;)

Surprisingly I like it.  Love this song so much that I did not think I would like it done as a duet with Cher but I enjoyed it.   Interesting that Elton said to Cher that she would be still going strong in 50 years. 

10 hours ago, Lucky Star One said:

I don't like Elton's disrespect for Madonna. And there was no feud, there was a one sided hate campaign on Elton's side. Madonna has always said that she loved him and never said a bad word about him, when she really should have. Even though I don't like his treatment of Madonna, I do enjoy his music. Elton's greatest hits record released in the 1970's was one of my early record purchases. A favorite of mine of his songs that hasn't been mentioned here is "Someone Saved My Life Tonight."  My top favorite is "Bennie And The Jets." 

There is no real "feud" with Madonna, just Elton bitching and being moody.  All one sided. Madonna is aware if it because she has joked about him getting angry with her for no reason sometimes. 

She has called Elton a genius,  said proudly that he was in the first three acts she has seen live and seems to shrug off his comments. She never rubbishs him back or takes the bait. 

I find it a bit sad that he has said such pointless stupid rubbish about Madonna when she has praised his talent so often. He always apologises later too. 

He did a cameo in Kinsgman 2. God, he's so ugly. I hope I won't be that ugly when I'll reach that age. 

And if you're a fucking asshole, I don't care if you have talent or not. Doesn't excuse anything.

That’s mean...I’m sure he’s doing his best for 70...he hasn’t had plastic surgery like some other male celebrities...Kenny Rogers, Mickey Rourke come to mind

12 minutes ago, runa said:

And if you're a fucking asshole, I don't care if you have talent or not. Doesn't excuse anything.

Exactly. Totally trash.

13 minutes ago, Aries said:

That’s mean...I’m sure he’s doing his best for 70...he hasn’t had plastic surgery like some other male celebrities...Kenny Rogers, Mickey Rourke come to mind

Exactly. I have to admire the fact he hasn't done any of that apart from the hair. He could be a real stretched mess.

Mind you, given all the olive oil they must use, you'd think his skin would be better! 

Just now, jonski43 said:

Mind you, given all the olive oil they must use, you'd think his skin would be better! 

The olive oil wrestling :lmao: 

:rotfl: Well I can't say all this Elton bashing isn't deserved. He's so rude, and not just about Madonna either. He was very bitter about George Michael for years too.

Sounds like a very bitter man. but who wouldn't stuck with that face (and body). lol

Just now, Crux said:

:rotfl: Well I can't say all this Elton bashing isn't deserved. He's so rude, and not just about Madonna either. He was very bitter about George Michael for years too.

Sounds like a very bitter man. imo.

:lol: everyone knows what a rude, tantrum throwing person Elton is. No excuses for his personality. 

I just don't think of it being him singing when I listen to the songs of his that I do like.  Easier that way. 

He is the first person to put himself down...recently I saw an interview of him from like 1982...he admitted he didn’t have a good body or wasn’t handsome....but thought he was pretty good at coming up with melodies to Bernie’s lyrics....then it came to something about a third leg....and he told the interviewer you’d need a magnifying glass to find it....he actually seems to have a since Of humor...he did the car karaoke...he was very naturally funny...I’m sure he gets in his moods....last year he did say he wouldn’t feud with Madonna again...we’ll see

I agree with most that his contribution to music history is undisputed and I also really like a couple of his 70s songs. But other than that he is a persona non grata to me, I just can't put aside his outright evil and disgraceful comments about Madonna. 

And I HATE his Lion King 'music'. It sounds like the most boring, uninspired piece of torture for the ears ever created. Ugh words can't describe how I hate this basic crap. 

Elton John is PATHETIC. There really is no other word 2 describe him.

And that doesn't diminish his musical legacy, because his body
of work just speaks 4 itself. But the way that man is obsessed with
other celebrities is just sad. I don't think he has a social life that doesn't include
famous people. I remember his media invited coverage of his parties in the 90's where
he would pose with every other minor 90's UK pop star 4 Hello or Heat magazine.

U can tell it's very important 4 him...and my guess is that it has always been a big part
of his frustration with Madonna, the moment she moved 2 London and the British press
went apeshit over her presence there, Elton wanted 2 play party besties with the Richies, but
she was never all that interested. Poor Elton though...he once threw a party 4 her in the South of France
after her S&S show...but she never showed up... :lol:

Anyway, I like Rocket Man. :fag:

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Exactly. I have to admire the fact he hasn't done any of that apart from the hair. He could be a real stretched mess.

Oh yes, the 3some in kiddie pool filled with olive oil.

So he has the right to be rude and mean, but I can't ? 

Sorry, I don't buy that. 

You all excuse his ugliness because he's a man. If he was a woman you would all say worst thing than what I said. 
Truth hurts apparently. 

8 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Surprisingly I like it.  Love this song so much that I did not think I would like it done as a duet with Cher but I enjoyed it.   Interesting that Elton said to Cher that she would be still going strong in 50 years. 

Long ago I saw a similar duet with Aguilera: it was atrocious. Long live Cher, gazillion times better than any contemporary bimbo, ANY one.

And I also like to add that I always thought it a bit tasteless to just recycle a song in memory of a dead person. He wrote this song for Marilyn and then just took it to put Diana's name in there? I don't know, it's been a cheap move. I never liked it.

27 minutes ago, Lolo said:

And I also like to add that I always thought it a bit tasteless to just recycle a song in memory of a dead person. He wrote this song for Marilyn and then just took it to put Diana's name in there? I don't know, it's been a cheap move. I never liked it.

Same here.  It is something that had always annoyed me. The song's lyrics and title summed up Marilyn. A poor girl brought up in foster homes, many of them abusive, who never had a stable home or life and was used by Hollywood too. Marilyn sadly and truly did lead her life like a candle in the wind and this was a sad and fitting tribute to her with lyrics that captured so much.  

To then recycle it and change it from "goodbye Norma Jean" to "goodbye England's Rose" seemed so lazy and thoughtless.  He should have written a new song for Diana instead and never touched "candle in the wind" 

Gotta admit, he did have some timeless classics (mainly 70's) that I still love.  But after seeing his bitchy attitude and better-than-you self righteousness, I find him hard to look at.   If I never had to see or hear his ugly attitude, I may still admire many of the songs I adored when younger.  I just find it hard to listen to those gems without picturing that pinched face.

m & elton.jpgelton mad.png

1 hour ago, pjcowley said:

Long ago I saw a similar duet with Aguilera: it was atrocious. Long live Cher, gazillion times better than any contemporary bimbo, ANY one.

Yes, I love Cher. Brings her own true style, personality and talent to everything. 

22 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Same here.  It is something that had always annoyed me. The song's lyrics and title summed up Marilyn. A poor girl brought up in foster homes, many of them abusive, who never had a stable home or life and was used by Hollywood too. Marilyn sadly and truly did lead her life like a candle in the wind and this was a sad and fitting tribute to her with lyrics that captured so much.  

To then recycle it and change it from "goodbye Norma Jean" to "goodbye England's Rose" seemed so lazy and thoughtless.  He should have written a new song for Diana instead and never touched "candle in the wind" 

You guys are forgetting...Bernie writes the lyrics...Elton has said he doesn’t write down a word. He might have asked Bernie to do so, but he didn’t write words