MadonnaNation.com Forums
Aries

Elton John....Diva for sure...but 70s Icon

I know lot of people don’t like him...(although apparently he apologized to M...all’s well)

no mistaking his talent and genius....been obsessed lately with 2 iconic 70s masterpieces

“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” & “Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy”

he has had an impressive body of work since 1970....although his voice has aged....and a Queen diva (I truly believe it’s more his partner David) Elton is actually funny in interviews, and can make fun of his self...like in that car karaoke

Elton John is a moody drama Queen and I hate his senseless, jealous comments about Madonna but I never deny his talent. He has written songs that have stood the test of time and I consider him a legend. 

You mentioned Goodbye Yellow brick road which is a perfect ballad and one of my favourites from him.  I loved his original version of Candle in the wind when it was a touching sad tribute to Marilyn Monroe. I hate that it is now remembered for Diana because it summed up the life of Marilyn to perfection.  

Also love Daniel, Sorry seems to be the hardest word, Nobody wins, Your song, I guess that's why they call it the blues, I'm still standing, Kiss the bride, Little Genie and numerous others. One of my favourite songs of his was a non-single from Too low for Zero called Cold as Christmas. Such an incredibly beautiful song. 

He wrote ballads with great melodies and Bernie Taupin deserves credit for the beautiful lyrics too. 

An eternally jealous bitchy asshole for sure (vast coke intake at the height of his fame did not help at all), however queeny bitchiness apart some of his 70s songs have stood the test of time. That gorgeous soul and R&B driven masterpiece hit, Bennie & the Jets and the beautifully evocative melody in Song for Guy remain my favorites from Maris Piper potato face Elton.

1 minute ago, pjcowley said:

An eternally jealous bitchy asshole for sure (vast coke intake at the height of his fame did not help at all), however queeny bitchiness apart some of his 70s songs have stood the test of time. That gorgeous soul and R&B driven masterpiece hit, Bennie & the Jets and the beautifully evocative melody in Song for Guy remain my favorites from Maris Piper potato face Elton.

Song for Guy is another of my favourites. He has a gift in writing exquisite melodies. Love Bennie & the jets too.  

I think Elton was the biggest selling star of the 70's and his catalogue of music holds up.  

Candle In The Wind is the 1st song on the double album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road as are Bennie And the Jets and Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting...classic huge seller back in the day

i too love Too Low For Zero album....Sleeping With The Past, and The One are also great albums....

back in the day I was really only interest in his singles...not so much his albums.....just recently discovered those.....he’s had like 30 studio albums...wish M had that many....but they seemed to release a lot of albums like 6-8 months apart  back in the 50s, 60, 70s

I just learned he was the first Caucasian on Soul Train...and his album Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy was the first ever album to debut at #1

I am not usually a fan of duets but love the effortlessly catchy "Don't go breaking my heart" with Kiki Dee. 

And gotta give props to George Michael producing the duet with Elton on Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me....love the original as well

4 minutes ago, Aries said:

And gotta give props to George Michael producing the duet with Elton on Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me....love the original as well

George Michael had the same gift as Elton for writing melodic wonderful popular music that stood out.  George was incredibly underrated as a singer and song writer. 

he has a collection of songs trough all his decades that is incredible we don´t talk about him more here

3 minutes ago, promise to try said:

he has a collection of songs trough all his decades that is incredible we don´t talk about him more here

that's because his attitude eclipses his work

I feel sorry for him. You'd think when he came out he'd be happy but he just got really bitter.

I really think it's down to Furnish who I think is a horrible hanger on and I think Elton knows it but doesn't want to be alone. Don't think EJs mother likes him either.

Supposedly DF has pushed away many of Elton's closest friends. 

He's one of the top ten best selling artists in the UK and well deserved but I wish he wasn't such a bitch.

20 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I feel sorry for him. You'd think when he came out he'd be happy but he just got really bitter.

I really think it's down to Furnish who I think is a horrible hanger on and I think Elton knows it but doesn't want to be alone. Don't think EJs mother likes him either.

Supposedly DF has pushed away many of Elton's closest friends. 

He's one of the top ten best selling artists in the UK and well deserved but I wish he wasn't such a bitch.

I agree to a certain extent. Elton has always been a bitchy queen, but he seemed to get much worse when he met David.

I do like a lot of Elton's songs, but his nastiness with Madonna has tarnished them for me.

Will always Love several of his timeless classics, but can’t forgive ugly duckling for slut shaming Madonna, especially since he positions himself as a human rights activist.  He also shouldn’t say shit about Madonna lip syncing since he has released some BAD music himself & isn't nearly as consistent as the QUEEN. 

7 minutes ago, Crux said:

I agree to a certain extent. Elton has always been a bitchy queen, but he seemed to get much worse when he met David.

I do like a lot of Elton's songs, but his nastiness with Madonna has tarnished them for me.

Yeah and also he should thank Princess Diana Death for re boosting his career with that Candle in the wind song lol 

He actually steals the scenes in the recent Kingdom film. He was funny in it.

I love some of Elton's hits but his blatant disrespect, constant bullying and relentless misogyny towards Madonna outweighs the quality of his work

His talent went away when he stopped using. From the 80's till now it's only been middle of the road tunes for old ladies.

But even before that. He started his career ripping off Nike Drake (his first ever record was covers of Drake) and then he ripped off Bowie (the most obvious being Rocket man/Space oddity). What made him so popular in the 70's were his excentric costumes (to hide his more than average physique). Reminds me a lot of someone....

On 11/20/2017 at 10:38 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

I am not usually a fan of duets but love the effortlessly catchy "Don't go breaking my heart" with Kiki Dee. 

Neither am I, but when they work it's very pleasant to listen to and that duet with Kiki Dee was excellent. What do you reckon about this one with Cher? ;)

I don't like Elton's disrespect for Madonna. And there was no feud, there was a one sided hate campaign on Elton's side. Madonna has always said that she loved him and never said a bad word about him, when she really should have. Even though I don't like his treatment of Madonna, I do enjoy his music. Elton's greatest hits record released in the 1970's was one of my early record purchases. A favorite of mine of his songs that hasn't been mentioned here is "Someone Saved My Life Tonight."  My top favorite is "Bennie And The Jets." 

Elton's bullshit with Madonna, I can't excuse. But he's an amazing artist, or can be. 

I mean, he's made classics. No denying. A broken cunt can be right twice a day! I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues is one of my favorite songs ever. 

My brother's name is Daniel so I have a soft spot for that song.

Also love Elton and Minnie's duet version of Don't go breaking my heart (from Totally Minnie)😜😜

I always thought he was overrated.