MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

Miss Diana Ross

On 20/11/2017 at 7:19 PM, LikeAPrayer said:

Does anyone think her legacy is underrated because the Supremes catalog is more revered than her solo work (despite Diana being the sole singer on many of the Supremes hits)?

It seems the Supremes work overshadows her solo work at this point. 

Not in the UK. Her big solo stuff gets played a lot - Upside Down, Chain Reaction, Love Hangover, Endless Love.

The Supremes are played too but I would say it's balanced. 

Not a huge fan but definitely love some of back catalogue and I'm discovering more all the time. 

I love 'Who' from Silk Electric!

4 hours ago, surannée said:

Her discography is a bumpy road, but she's truly fabulous. "Love Hangover" is in my all-time Top 20 for sure. 

:inlove::inlove: 42 years old and STILL fire. Never ever get sick of this song. While its totally disco/r&b also clearly one of the first house sounding songs. Easily one of her best songs and one of my fav. songs of all time. 

I adore the album "The Boss" particularly the title song... the LP is son underrated! 

I love 'Touch by Touch'!

Haven't heard it in ages!!

Can someone please find the clip where she bites that crazy fan's tongue that is trying 2 smother her.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:30 PM, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Even if she's a demon diva in real life, she CLEARLY earned it lol. 

Can you tell us more about THAT :lol: 

She doesn't get enough credit as far as I'm concerned. She was fucking MASSIVE. The Supreme's were truly on the same playing field as the Beatles in terms of popularity. It was just hit after hit after hit. Absolute classics. 

Her solo stuff was hit or miss with me. Love Hangover, as some have said, is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period. And Upside Down is one of the best disco songs ever created. 

She's a Queen. 

Just now, KalamazooJay said:

She doesn't get enough credit as far as I'm concerned. She was fucking MASSIVE. The Supreme's were truly on the same playing field as the Beatles in terms of popularity. It was just hit after hit after hit. Absolute classics. 

Her solo stuff was hit or miss with me. Love Hangover, as some have said, is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period. And Upside Down is one of the best disco songs ever created. 

She's a Queen. 

she has a few solo hits that are really good too, but you are right in everything you say. Another legend that it´s overlooked and that only will be missed and respected when she passes away

I love her music and the way she sings.. as members here have said it's a joy to listen to a woman who doesnt oversing or try to impress by screaming. just like M, she's an amazing emotive singer.

9 hours ago, Nikki said:

I love her music and the way she sings.. as members here have said it's a joy to listen to a woman who doesnt oversing or try to impress by screaming. just like M, she's an amazing emotive singer.

THIS!! 👍👍👍

13 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

She's a Queen. 

THIS.

She is one of a few, if not the one, that laid out the blueprint for the modern pop star.

11 hours ago, Nikki said:

Yes!!! I think it's also because she came from an era where vocals weren't merely about power...they were about soul.

Shes almost 74 and looks fantastic!! Shes been promoting a new perfume and still looks and sounds super on point. Total mega super star. She hits those same spots w/ me musically as M. May not have Mariah or Celine over the top pipes but most of the songs, style, production, and the way they're sung etc...are perfection, soulful and iconic. Amazing diverse catalog for the most part that has playback value vs someone like Mariah, Celine and even Adele who would knock me out like 2 Ambians. 

On 1/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, Gus said:

THIS IS ART   :wow:

Goosebumps...i wanna know what it was like when she visited Nile and M in the studio...cuz her kids were fans of the Madonna album :wow: 😀

although I have a few of her albums: Swept Away, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Diana, Red Hot Rhythm & Blues, Eaten Alive...I found this to be the best compilation of her

R-6532327-1421404621-9388.jpeg.jpg 

Diana Ross ‎– Complete Collection

Label: Universal Music ‎– 532 061-5
2 × CD, Compilation

Released: 2009

Tracklist

1-1 The Supremes Where Did Our Love Go
1-2 The Supremes Baby Love
1-3 The Supremes Come See About Me
1-4 The Supremes Stop! In The Name Of Love
1-5 The Supremes Back In My Arms Again
1-6 The Supremes Nothing But Heartaches
1-7 The Supremes I Hear A Symphony
1-8 The Supremes My World Is Empty Without You
1-9 The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love
1-10 The Supremes You Keep Me Hangin' On
1-11 The Supremes Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
1-12 The Supremes The Happening
1-13 Diana Ross & The Supremes* Reflections
1-14 Diana Ross & The Supremes* In And Out Of Love
1-15 Diana Ross & The Supremes* Forever Came Today
1-16 Diana Ross & The Supremes* Love Child
1-17 Diana Ross & The Supremes* I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Performer – The Temptations
1-18 Diana Ross & The Supremes* I'm Livin' In Shame
1-19 Diana Ross & The Supremes* The Composer
1-20 Diana Ross & The Supremes* Someday We'll Be Together
1-21 Diana Ross Reach Out And Touch (Somebody's Hand)
1-22 Diana Ross Ain't No Mountain High Enough
1-23 Diana Ross I'm Still Waiting
1-24 Diana Ross Touch Me In The Morning
1-25 Diana Ross

You Are Everything  Performer – Marvin Gaye

2-1

Diana Ross Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
2-2 Diana Ross Love Hangover
2-3 Diana Ross The Boss
2-4 Diana Ross Upside Down
2-5 Diana Ross My Old Piano
2-6 Diana Ross I'm Coming Out
2-7 Diana Ross It's My Turn
2-8 Diana Ross Endless Love Performer – Lionel Richie
2-9 Diana Ross Why Do Fools Fall In Love
2-10 Diana Ross Mirror Mirror
2-11 Diana Ross Work That Body
2-12 Diana Ross Muscles
2-13 Diana Ross Touch By Touch
2-14 Diana Ross Swept Away
2-15 Diana Ross Eaten Alive
2-16 Diana Ross Chain Reaction
2-17 Diana Ross Missing You
2-18 Diana Ross When You Tell Me That You Love Me

I don't think my mom was more than a casual fan so as a kid the only Diana stuff we had at home was a greatest hits album from the 80s and, oddly, 1983's "Ross". At some point in the 00s I got "diana" for its legendary reputation but other than that I've never had the time or chance to dig deeper into her discography.

I'm beginning to dust off her catalogue, starting today with that "Ross" album and it sounds surprisingly solid especially considering it was a flop for her. Should've done better.

Her voice is everything Janet's tries to be and fails isn't it?

56 minutes ago, acko said:

such an underrated voice!

I love her voice. Smooth, effortless and wonderful to listen to. 

Compare Diana's original version of Endless love to the travesty that is Mariah Carey and appreciate Diana's voice and what an incredible singer she is. 

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

I don't think my mom was more than a casual fan so as a kid the only Diana stuff we had at home was a greatest hits album from the 80s and, oddly, 1983's "Ross". At some point in the 00s I got "diana" for its legendary reputation but other than that I've never had the time or chance to dig deeper into her discography.

I'm beginning to dust off her catalogue, starting today with that "Ross" album and it sounds surprisingly solid especially considering it was a flop for her. Should've done better.

Ok. About "Ross", gave it a couple of spins. Short and to the point with no bad, skippable songs. Being born in the 80s it's not surprising the one I remembered the most from when I would play my mom's old cassette out of curiosity is "Pieces of Ice". Synth driven and rather "modern" sounding it went well with my tastes as a kid and sounded closer to the stuff i liked. Remains great. Atmospheric and cold as I'm sure they intended. A bit Moroder-esque for her don't you think?

The other tracks I remembered the most were "That's How You Start Over" and "Let's Go Up" which opened side A and B + "Love or Loneliness". All very enjoyable. However, why on Earth didn't I remember "Up Front"?!! It's probably the one that grabbed me the most. Great, GREAT vocal performance from her. Maybe it was too buried at the end of the tracklist and my attention went somewhere else?

I'm gonna go back to her 70s output first but her 80s material seems more promising than what I probably expected.