MadonnaNation.com Forums
dubtronic

Bjork thread

7 minutes ago, Mensch said:

Yeah the pop songs stopped somewhere after Medúlla/Vespertine/Volta 

I can’t get into Medulla even though I tried a number a times. Thought Volta was pretty great & Vespertine is quite good although it’s not a favorite of mine. 

I actually still really like some of her remix albums because the bops are different & interesting. Not the mainstream remixes that plague some current music.

I think Medúlla was just very experimental utilizing the voices to have too much repeat listen-ability. Vespertine was beautiful and had, I would say, pop song structures...though they were long and moody and sensual etc...

it seemed that with Volta, working with those specific producers brought out the easy pop song structures on most songs on that record even if most of the album fails to live up to expectations. Biophilia, Vulnicura and Utopia she’s in a new, experimental sounding phase. There are melodies and there is structure but you have to let it unravel itself to you. I was fortunate to dive hard into Biophilia (I loved playing with the apps etc...) so Vulnicura came to be a bit more accessible even with its heartbreaking narrative. I absolutely love utopia!  

1 hour ago, Mensch said:

I think Medúlla was just very experimental utilizing the voices to have too much repeat listen-ability. Vespertine was beautiful and had, I would say, pop song structures...though they were long and moody and sensual etc...

it seemed that with Volta, working with those specific producers brought out the easy pop song structures on most songs on that record even if most of the album fails to live up to expectations. Biophilia, Vulnicura and Utopia she’s in a new, experimental sounding phase. There are melodies and there is structure but you have to let it unravel itself to you. I was fortunate to dive hard into Biophilia (I loved playing with the apps etc...) so Vulnicura came to be a bit more accessible even with its heartbreaking narrative. I absolutely love utopia!  

Just curious do you overall like Utopia better than Biophilia & Vulnicara? 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

Just curious do you overall like Utopia better than Biophilia & Vulnicara? 

I’m not sure...I need more time with Utopia but my immediate feelings are yes. I’m extremely partial to Biophilia. But Utopia is certainly better than Volta, much more listenable than Medúlla and a lot less strange than Biophilia and tragic than Vulnicura...it’s so cohesive too as a whole that it reminds me of Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine... 

5 hours ago, Mensch said:

I’m not sure...I need more time with Utopia but my immediate feelings are yes. I’m extremely partial to Biophilia. But Utopia is certainly better than Volta, much more listenable than Medúlla and a lot less strange than Biophilia and tragic than Vulnicura...it’s so cohesive too as a whole that it reminds me of Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine... 

Just wanted to see what you felt since you seem to be really into her music.👍🏻👍🏻I’m honestly still listening to the new album, so not exactly sure how I overall feel although I recognize it’s a very strong album with cohesive visuals.

I really like several tracks on Biophillia & I should give Vulnicura another listen soon. It’s probably the only album that I’m not so familiar with. Read several reviews from her fans who totally love it. 

9 hours ago, Mensch said:

Ancestors is my favorite song on Medulla. And Volta has aged so much better than it had any right to. It sounds like the update on her Nellee Hooper produced projects.

Vespertine

Homogenic

Vulnicura

Utopia

Biophilia

Debut

Volta

Selmasongs

Medulla

14 hours ago, Mensch said:

Yeah the pop songs stopped somewhere after Medúlla/Vespertine/Volta 

I feel Stonemilker, Hidden Place, Unison are songs with strong melodies, very offbeat pop songs? 

This sounds bad, but in my HS art class my teacher would always play Kate bush and I could not stand her.  I always thought Bjork would be somewhat similar to her and Tori Amos, so I never gave her a chance.  I was surprised at how pop leaning her first few albums were, though she does consider herself a pop artist.

I am really enjoying the album! alhoutgh I only listen the first 5 songs, because I want to hear them again and again!

have you heard about her saying that she wants to re-record the album?

I personally consider Vulnicura to be in the same league as Homogenic and Vespertine.

Debut, for a debut album, is also fantastic and Post has its moments.

Volta is ok.

Medulla and Biophilia are the only albums I cannot digest from start to finish. There are individual songs I dig but overall both albums are difficult, too experimental and not necessarily my cup of tea.

I still need to spin Utopia a few more times but so far I like what I am hearing. 

Utopia is definitely a grower.  You need to be in the right mindset to listen to it and I mean,  really *listen* to it, feel it and understand what it’s about. I completely agree about it not being a light album like Bjork claims, yeah the flutes bring a “calm” essence to the album but imo it’s a very intense album.  The order the songs are in is absolutely perfect, the flow of it nonstop and in that order is fantastic.  Losss is my favorite song.  No pop songs here like I was hoping but it’s still a freaking awesome album.  She does pop songs no more but what she is doing is what no one else is doing and it’s amazing.  A “Taylor Swift” album is not going to make you feel how a Bjork album makes you feel and honestly for me it changes by listen.  Sometimes it’s happy, sometimes it’s peaceful and other times is emotionally exhausting and yet just what I was seeking.  I hope she tours.

On a side note speaking of Medulla- I like the album absolutely hate Ancestors and every time it comes up I dont see the why of it.

7 hours ago, promise to try said:

I am really enjoying the album! alhoutgh I only listen the first 5 songs, because I want to hear them again and again!

have you heard about her saying that she wants to re-record the album?

Why would she want to re record it?? 

32 minutes ago, Tatu said:

Why would she want to re record it?? 

She’s doing a live album cause she wants to explore the flute sounds she didn’t fully utilize on the record. She did the same with Vulnicura and a remix Biophilia. I don’t understand how she does that...it must not sell...and M can’t release anything for years and years.   🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Mensch said:

She’s doing a live album cause she wants to explore the flute sounds she didn’t fully utilize on the record. She did the same with Vulnicura and a remix Biophilia. I don’t understand how she does that...it must not sell...and M can’t release anything for years and years.   🤣🤣

No kidding.

I’m all good with a live album! You’re right though she does do it every time. I was thinking a studio re-record I’m like, what for??! Suckers like me will have every version. I love the live ones.

It’s totally interesting that Bjork releases live albums & even Vulnicura with string arrangements!

I sometimes get pretty frustrated with some of her releases but at least she pushes herself as an artist & takes major risks. 

These videos are really wonderful 

makes me love utopia (the song and album) so much more!!! 

This remix is everything. Very romantic and emotional for me...

E154B69E-DE85-4458-99F9-A98B7E029F2E.png

7 hours ago, Martin B. said:

Fucking brilliant. I think we’re getting a video for every song! 😍😍😍

my favorite videos so far are the gate and utopia

I might finally see her live this summer! I signed up for  a mailing list for the tickets!

Adore Björk and her visual Art but musically the Utopia album is crap.

I've liked a few songs here and there, but the last time Bjork mattered to me was Vespertine and she had already peaked by then. 

She is set to perform her first concert in Croatia this summer! I don't like the new album, but I'm very excited

rhoa-sheree-face-02.gif?itok=FaJXpGFc

1 hour ago, M_Sinner said:

She is set to perform her first concert in Croatia this summer! I don't like the new album, but I'm very excited

rhoa-sheree-face-02.gif?itok=FaJXpGFc

Well you’re probably gonna hate the show...she’s gonna do all of vulnicura and utopia and like 3 old songs (one off biophilia, one off vespertine and probably one off medulla) 

17 hours ago, Mensch said:

Well you’re probably gonna hate the show...she’s gonna do all of vulnicura and utopia and like 3 old songs (one off biophilia, one off vespertine and probably one off medulla) 

Guess that would make sense since she’s always moving forward and focusing on her latest music.

20 hours ago, Mensch said:

I'll try to enjoy it:laugh:

tumblr_nloxzp7ggn1qk7scno1_500.gif

On 1/5/2018 at 12:11 PM, Nick said:

Guess that would make sense since she’s always moving forward and focusing on her latest music.

I love her shows. I’m only forewarning because I’m sick of everyone always hating on an artist for doing just that ...

I don't know why but I always imagine Mensch farts sounds like Bjork sounds. 

Well I really am enjoying the Utopia album so...