MadonnaNation.com Forums
Crux

Like A Virgin - 33rd Anniversary!

33 years ago today, Madonna released this legendary classic album and propelled herself into an even bigger icon for us mere morals.

Give it up for, LAV, guys!

madonna-like-virgin.jpg?w=500&h=500&crop

:clap::clap::clap:

The album that made Madonna a superstar.  One of the greatest pure POP albums of all time.  The singles are pop classics and the other songs on that album are far better than the majority of hit songs recorded today.  Stay, Pretender and Over and over are so under-rated.  Into the Groove was always a hit song seperate from Like a virgin to me personally but just the thought of it being part of this album pushes it to even greater heights. 

The videos of Like a virgin and Material girl are iconic and Madonna was effortlessly beautiful in both of them.   

The most under appreciated Madonna album by Madonna fans in my view.   Dominated the charts and hearts of people everywhere in the 80's which was fantastic to witness. Such a magical time to be a Madonna fan. She exploded everywhere and had always remained a superstar. 

The worn out vynils by carrying and playing them in every high school party... 

The endless cassette problems from overplaying it at mom’s car... 

My teenager questions about why she was touched for the very first time, was she saying: guys that save their pennies or penies, why is she locking the door at night where no one else can see, why love don’t live there anymore, and so many others??? 

The Big Bang, everything happening at the same time, a Madonna overload to the senses, full heavy rotation of all videos at mtv, being mesmerized by her descending the stairs in the DYU vídeo, the gummies, the crucifixes in girls and boys, the material girl headline that accompanied her for the next 20/30 years and nobody fucking getting that she wasn’t in the end (of the song and video)...

My great grandmother, grandmothers, uncles, aunts and absolutely everyone knowing and being intrigued by her... is Madonna her real name??? 

Absolutely in love with this amazing album from beginning to end, it’s easy to under appreciate a song in hindsight, but all of them as a complete album defined our generation in no way any song could do in this fragmented postmodern times...

5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The album that made Madonna a superstar.  One of the greatest pure POP albums of all time.  The singles are pop classics and the other songs on that album are far better than the majority of hit songs recorded today.  Stay, Pretender and Over and over are so under-rated.  Into the Groove was always a hit song seperate from Like a virgin to me personally but just the thought of it being part of this album pushes it to even greater heights. 

The videos of Like a virgin and Material girl are iconic and Madonna was effortlessly beautiful in both of them.   

The most under appreciated Madonna album by Madonna fans in my view.   Dominated the charts and hearts of people everywhere in the 80's which was fantastic to witness. Such a magical time to be a Madonna fan. She exploded everywhere and had always remained a superstar. 

Definitely propelled her to superstardom, with LAV going to #1 first in Australia.

33 years - goddess, I feel OLD!!! This album really consolidated my fandom after playing the debut 'Madonna' album and it's singles to death. Hearing her version of LDLHA for the 'very first time' with that emotional yelp at the end was just...magic. Madonna looked beautiful in the LAV video and stunning a la Monroe in MG.

My love just got deeper and deeper....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After the first album and getting a glimpse of this gorgeous creature named Madonna, LAV simply made it's mark on pop culture and the world.  Her pictures and music were everywhere.  There was no denying her beauty and talent....simply a captivating woman.  If you happened to be old enough at the time of LAV and absorb this time in her earlier career, consider yourself lucky.  If you were there and either ignored, dismissed or denied her power and presence.....well, you were STUPID!!!  This is when she began to ascended to her throne where a crown awaited her....where it still sits FIRMLY atop her head today (and forever)!!!!!

I've grown to love this album more and more over the years. It now ranks in my top 5 favorite Madonna albums of all time. 

The photos and videos are some of the most iconic imagery ever created by a pop artist and the songs rank as some of the best and most important pieces of music created in the last 100 years. Every pop act, male and female, has used this album as a stepping stone for their careers. We wouldn't have some of the current pop acts without this masterpiece. 

A sacrilege for Warner Brothers to ignore the 25th and 30th anniversaries of the album that changes the rules for every female singer to come after...  I am starting to see their disregard as sexist and misogynistic. The Like a Virgin album was evey vit as earth shattering as Thriller and Purple Rain.... and not a fucking peep...  Madonna deserves better.... as do her fans....

R-194021-1335400289.jpeg.jpg

R-4289408-1418886184-1276.jpeg.jpg

Michael_Jackson_-_Thriller.png

It’s my least favorite album besides I’m Breathless but in the Madonna universe it means that I still LOVE half the album! 

My personal favorites are over & over, angel, material girl, & LDLHA, 

The imagery is pop perfection & truly iconic though. I’m really glad I purchased it on vinyl because it looks fantastic! 

She was everywhere....her first truly jam packed whirlwind year. There was no escaping M....

with the album, MTV music videos, radio, ‘Vision Quest’, ‘Desperately Seeking Susan’, Live Aid, SNL, Marriage, Playboy, Penthouse, Virgin Tour....and I still just couldn’t get enough!

That whole era of music...Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy For You, Into The Groove, Angel, Dress You Up, Gambler....not to mention the album tracks, Over And Over,  Stay, Love Don’t Live Here Anymore, Pretender, Shoo-Be-Doo...even the debut of Love Makes The World Go ‘Round was phenomenal! There was no stopping her!

it was truly an experience to be a fan back then and take that ride with her!

This album is pop music at its finest. A catchy and timeless effort that attained a tremendous cultural impact in the 80’s

My first M album! Don't think there's much I can say about this that hasn't been said but such a pure pop gem.

Dress You Up is still a great song to drive to but overshadowed by MG and LAV. And such great album tracks too.

And we need this clip in full HQ!!!

42 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

My first M album! Don't think there's much I can say about this that hasn't been said but such a pure pop gem.

Dress You Up is still a great song to drive to but overshadowed by MG and LAV. And such great album tracks too.

And we need this clip in full HQ!!!

YES! Been dying to see this for so long!

Yes! And this jacket done by Keith too! The moment when she takes it off...

I wonder does she still have the clothes? I'd kill for this leather jacket. Imagine she would have worn THIS in the BIM video...

6 hours ago, sul8323 said:

A sacrilege for Warner Brothers to ignore the 25th and 30th anniversaries of the album that changes the rules for every female singer to come after...  I am starting to see their disregard as sexist and misogynistic. The Like a Virgin album was evey vit as earth shattering as Thriller and Purple Rain.... and not a fucking peep...  Madonna deserves better.... as do her fans....

R-194021-1335400289.jpeg.jpg

R-4289408-1418886184-1276.jpeg.jpg

Michael_Jackson_-_Thriller.png

Blaming Warners is wrong though if you want to blame anyone it's Madonna I'm afraid.

Im sure Warners would love to celebrate not only Like a Virgin but many other milestone albums of Madonnas but she would need to green light the project and she won't.

Wasn’t it also one of the first diamond albums by a woman?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/billboard-lists/7526410/diamond-certified-album-riaa-ranked

Previous virgins of the world will like this.....the only solo Diamond girl in the Top 10!

10. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP (2000, 10x Platinum)

An EMP of negative energy unleashed by one man on his wife, his mother, his label, his fans, and -- last and absolutely least -- himself. The Marshall Mathers LP might stand as the last album to really make parents feel like one artist could single-handedly bring about the end of Western Civilization, and Eminem made his apocalyptic case with humor, hooks, and some of the most creative wordplay hip-hop has ever seen, creating a savage and frequently inexcusable masterpiece of not giving a f---.

9. Madonna, Like a Virgin (1984, 10x Platinum)

Madonna’s musical and conceptual ambitions would grow from here, but the pure thrills of Like a Virgin are not to be overshadowed: “Angel” and “Dress You Up” are perfectly synth-popped chewing gum, “Material Girl” does Marilyn and Motown proud, and the title track is rivaled only by “Billie Jean” as the defining jam of MTV’s formative years. A year later she’d give away a couple brilliant singles away to soundtracks, seemingly just because she could.

8. The Beatles, The Beatles (The White Album) (1968, 19x Platinum)

The double album all other double albums are patterned after, subconsciously or not -- mostly because it’s the first double album to suggest that you can follow a reggae-pop ode to domesticity with an atonal minute-long shriek-along and an absurdist Western ballad, and have it all be equally essential to the album’s character. Your favorite song will never be the same from listen-to-listen, nor will your least favorite, but the overall stew is so rich that at a certain point you stop comparing bites anyway.

7. TLC, CrazySexyCool (1995, 11x Platinum)

So cold chillin’ that Busta Rhymes, Phife Dawg and Andre 3000 all stop by just to hang, CrazySexyCool successfully rebranded the condom-wearing candy kids of “What About Your Friends” as grown-ass women, capable of making cheating seductive, raising AIDS awareness, and flipping genders back on Prince. With a ‘90s Atlanta Braves-caliber squad of producers giving up the funk, TLC created the gold standard for ‘90s R&B... maybe for post-hip-hop R&B, period.

6. Various Artists, Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack (1977, 15x Platinum)

Sure, the six Bee Gees songs are all beyond-classic, but Saturday Night Fever endures as the definitive document of the disco era (and ranks way higher here than Bodyguard) because of how superlative the rest of it is, too. KC and the Sunshine Band’s “Boogie Shoes” is pure Vitamin C, Yvonne Elliman’s “If I Can’t Have You” does Barry Gibb as well as his brothers ever did, and don’t you dare try to hate on Walter Murphy’s “A Fifth of Beethoven” -- we can see you strutting already.

5. Nirvana, Nevermind (1991, 10x Platinum)

The most fundamentally surprising inclusion of all these albums -- a quarter-century later, it feels weirder than ever that an album with “Territorial Pissings” and “Breed” on it ended up bending the shape of late-20th century American culture. It just goes to show that pop music really is where the people find it, and sometimes, that’s in the form of a short-fused set of smartly produced, brilliantly written and fearlessly performed punk songs whose urgency taps into something so real among the youth that even the dance clubs have to start rocking it.

4. Michael Jackson, Thriller (1982, 33x Platinum)

Chris Rock has deemed both Purple Rain and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy superior to Thriller, the best-selling album in U.S. history, saying that “there’s no ‘Baby Be Mine’” on either of those albums. He’s right that there’s one dud keeping the supernatural brilliance of Thriller from being completely unassailable, but he’s wrong about the song: it’s the corny-even-by-Macca-standards Paul McCartney duet “The Girl Is Mine.” 

3. Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin IV (1971, 23x Platinum)

Eight tracks of boundless melodic creativity and instrumental virtuosity, Led Zeppelin’s ambiguously titled fourth album defines the phrase “classic rock” in perpetuity. Bands simply shouldn’t be able to pull off the time-defying prog-funk of “Four Sticks” and the flower-child acoustic balladry of “Going to California” and the howling future-blues of “When the Levee Breaks”; that they can and do so much more on IV is why Beyoncé is still sampling it 45 years later.

2. The Beatles, Abbey Road (1969, 12x Platinum)

Sgt. Pepper suggested that an album could be more than the sum of its parts, but Abbey Road’s side two moved to make those parts essentially inseparable: Chances are, you’ve never once in your life heard “Carry That Weight” without it coming between “Golden Slumbers” and “The End.” The suite’s majesty represented such an obvious peak in the Beatles’ recording career that Paul McCartney still ends solo concerts with the LP’s closing medley, managing to overshadow an A-side that contains a pair of No. 1 hits, Macca’s greatest Fab Four vocal, and a trance-inducing lust ballad that gets eaten by the Lost smoke monster by song’s end.

1. Prince, Purple Rain (1984, 13x Platinum)

A soundtrack that actually makes for a more coherent cinematic experience than the film it accompanies, Purple Rain is certainly in contention for the most perfect album in rock or pop history, expertly flowing from track to track while delighting, surprising and astounding at each bend. Personal and universal, familiar and challenging, romantic and narcissistic, religious and orgasmic, accessible to all and profoundly weird, Purple Rain rightly remains the cornerstone of Prince’s recorded legacy, almost too obvious in its brilliance to even be worth discussing at length.

Like Jan said, LAV (album) is “pure pop perfection”.

I became a Madonna mega loon during the true blue era. (Mind u I was nine yo in 86). I always sang along to madonna’s hits before that though. I bought madonna madonna and like a Virgin on vynil just after I bought true blue and I couldn’t believe how different she looked on the covers of the vynils. Even the music/sound/vocals on each album offered something different. 

3 hours ago, Confessit said:

Blaming Warners is wrong though if you want to blame anyone it's Madonna I'm afraid.

Im sure Warners would love to celebrate not only Like a Virgin but many other milestone albums of Madonnas but she would need to green light the project and she won't.

Warner had demonstrated contempt for Madonna and her brand for a very long time... I am not convinced that Madonna is responsible for burying her back catalog.  They co trolled everytging from her single choices to marketing to touring for a very long time.  GHV2 and Celebration were each a sacrilege.  No "GVV2" with here enormous string of number one dance songs...  Madonna left Warner for a reason...

8 hours ago, sul8323 said:

Warner had demonstrated contempt for Madonna and her brand for a very long time... I am not convinced that Madonna is responsible for burying her back catalog.  They co trolled everytging from her single choices to marketing to touring for a very long time.  GHV2 and Celebration were each a sacrilege.  No "GVV2" with here enormous string of number one dance songs...  Madonna left Warner for a reason...

There is no doubt that when Madonna parted with Warners it was uniquely on her terms. The fact that Warners haven't attempted to make and money on her vast back catalogue tells us that.

So Madonna would absolutley need to green light any re-issues I don't understand why people always blame WB and Guy O, Madonna is as interested in re-issues of her albums as she is in duetting with Lady Gaga.

17 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Thanks for posting.👍🏻👍🏻

Never knew about this clip.