MadonnaNation.com Forums
Jazzy Jan

Sick of the "great business woman" description

Like I have said forever.  You can have the greatest savvy business mind on Earth, but if what you are selling sucks people are not going to buy it.  And they sure as hell won't still be buying it 35 years in. 

Above all instead of saying she is a good business woman, I simply think instead that Madonna is a genius when it comes to working with and "packaging" the talent she has whether it's constructing pop classics, or putting on amazing shows artistically and visually or making amazing music videos. 

There are no doubt tons of people that can sing and dance better than Madonna, but most if not all of them don't have a creative enough mind to know what to do with their gifts.

to me she's a great artist and a great business woman. The 80s Boss Woman will always be part of image

18 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Having a rant but interested to see if other fans feel the same. 

Often I read articles and news items that try to explain why Madonna has been so successful.  They usually completely downplay her musical and performing skills and trot out that fans admire her as she reinvents herself and is a great "business woman"   That and the backhanded compliments that often dominate articles happen too often. 

Personally, I could not care less about her business skills. Her music, videos and performances are what made me a fan who has loved her from the start.  I am positive that not one person who loves Madonna does so because she is a great "business woman"   We are talking of the biggest selling female artist ever whose music is so important and loved not a CEO or banker. 

That is of such little importance to Madonna fans and I find it insulting that they mention that as a reason why she is so successful and loved. Especially when her music is the best pop music ever produced in my opinion. 

:clap: Couldn't agree more, Jan. Well said! 

22 hours ago, Pedro said:

I totally understand what you’re saying, but I perceive that line as something more of a 90s thing together with the Material Girl headline used to undermine her talent... I think it took full force with the infamous Forbes Magazine cover from 1990. 

To me, the issue goes further than using cliché descriptions to downplay her. I perceive “writers and or intellectuals” feel better about themselves when in their “critic’s role” have the potential and power to criticize one of the most successful stars that has ever lived. Not one of those people has come near the degree of success Madonna has and that’s very hurtful to insecure minds and in some degree it gives them the false sense of an “edge” or intelectual positioning. 

I’m really past worrying or getting mad about what an unknown writer says, even if he’s from the most important newspaper in the world. Media is so fragmented now, they way we consume news and information has changed so much that anyone and everyone has a voice but in return people have no authority or credentials anymore. 

I do believe in my heart people know who Madonna is and what she stands for, she’s part of the world history by now and she’s already imbedded in the general consciousness, people might like her or hate her, but I doubt people would think she’s talentless 35 years later, and if they do it’s their loss and our gain. 

Best. Post. Ever.

15 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes, comparing Madonna unfavourably to the likes of Gaga, Kylie, Taylor, Britney etc is like comparing and saying Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran are more talented than Prince was.  Then adding as a footnote that Prince is a great businessman. It is ludicrous.

BOOM.

TELL 'EM Jazzy!!! 

6 hours ago, Skin said:

Like I have said forever.  You can have the greatest savvy business mind on Earth, but if what you are selling sucks people are not going to buy it.  And they sure as hell won't still be buying it 35 years in. 

Above all instead of saying she is a good business woman, I simply think instead that Madonna is a genius when it comes to working with and "packaging" the talent she has whether it's constructing pop classics, or putting on amazing shows artistically and visually or making amazing music videos. 

There are no doubt tons of people that can sing and dance better than Madonna, but most if not all of them don't have a creative enough mind to know what to do with their gifts.

THIS.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

basically what Lucy O' Brien says at 0:39, btw the only person who put out a decent Madonna biography so far. 

On 09/11/2017 at 11:58 PM, eroticerotic said:

for example: it  never made sense to me when people would lump her with kylie, britney, spice girls, and all the other sugar pop acts. that also felt like they were trying to undermine her.  for me she fits the conceptual artist genre more. My itunes and spotify is, for example: bjork, lana del rey, david bowie, madonna, fka twigs, garbage, and so forth

Your Spotify playlists are similar to mine. Would you mind sharing a few other artists or songs you listen to? I also love Father John Misty and Grimes

The outcry from this tag of businesswoman seem to emerge from a perception of business success as something to hide, something morally unclean, etc. I see Madonna as a Renaissance-woman of the XXth century. She is a creative entrepreneur, investing her energies in a variety of fields that are all part of pop culture, including business. Capitalism is what structures all of pop culture and makes it possible. It is also an art form, and she excells at it as she does in other modern art forms. If some people or journalists use the idea as something degrading or to diminish M's artistic contribution, it's because they have no actual idea of what art was in the XXth century nor any idea of the history of art.

Madonna is as much a prolific, talented and brilliant artist/lyricist/song producer as she is a smart business woman/marketer. We all know that here.