MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Coffin

One of M's coolest remixes of all-time: The 12" "Burning Up"

Listened to it twice yestetday.  😁  The remix is even better than the original...  not like most remixes today...  

Is the remix not the original in this case? Wasnt the 12" or Burning Up a different mix / recording, and from the initial 12" deal with Sire? The they re-did it for the album?

3 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I'm always...mesmerized by how really awesome this remix is. :wow: I don't detect any flaws. It's totally perfect. 

Love it so much. Burning up is an incredible song. Madonna combining pop with a rock style and excelling at it.  She can do any music style perfectly. 

The 12" version is the version produced by Reggie Lucas (the single version is an edit of this version).

Madonna ordered Jellybean to remix the track  along Lucky Star, Think of me and Physical attraction after it was decided to add Holiday on the album. A first remix of Burning Up by Jellybean was made but was at the last minute switched for the second remix he made for the video version. However the first remix appears on the reissue of the Madonna album in 1985 under the name "the first album" and on several b-sides in England and Australia. 

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

The 12" version is the version produced by Reggie Lucas (the single version is an edit of this version).

Madonna ordered Jellybean to remix the track  along Lucky Star, Think of me and Physical attraction after it was decided to add Holiday on the album. A first remix of Burning Up by Jellybean was made but was at the last minute switched for the second remix he made for the video version. However the first remix appears on the reissue of the Madonna album in 1985 under the name "the first album" and on several b-sides in England and Australia. 

Again with this misconception. That IS the original album version as featured on the first 1983 pressings worldwide. At some point later that year it was replaced in some countries by the version currently featured on the CDs and subsequent remasters.

However, the UK never did that change and when some north american fans imported the 1985 "The First Album" reissue this misconception about it being an alternate mix on the reissue when it's actually available in all UK pressings from 1983 until the 2012 (?) remastered vinyls.

Some examples of "Madonna" 1983 LPs featuring the original 4:48 version, including pressings from the US, Canada, Australia, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Korea, Argentina, Venezuela and more.

20171110_022940.png20171110_022900.png20171110_023030.png20171110_023117.png20171110_023213.png20171110_023321.png20171110_023403.png20171110_023524.png20171110_023627.png20171110_023713.png20171110_023818.png20171110_023851.png20171110_024014.png20171110_024114.png20171110_024306.png20171110_024347.png

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

Some examples of "Madonna" 1983 LPs featuring the original 4:48 version, including pressings from the US, Canada, Australia, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Korea, Argentina, Venezuela and more.

20171110_022940.png20171110_022900.png20171110_023030.png20171110_023117.png20171110_023213.png20171110_023321.png20171110_023403.png20171110_023524.png20171110_023627.png20171110_023713.png20171110_023818.png20171110_023851.png20171110_024014.png20171110_024114.png20171110_024306.png20171110_024347.png

Ok thanks. Then that explains why that 4:48 version is the one she performed on the Tube tv show ! It seemed odd to perform a b-side remix.

So to be clear let's have a recap :

- The 12" version is the Reggie Lucas produced version

- The 4:48 is the Jellybean Benitez original version that was the original album version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg6mJ90hZo0

- The 3:41 version is the video version that replaced the 4:48 version from the original pressing in some countries 

- Then there's the 3:50 version from the single that is an edit of the 12" version

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Ok thanks. Then that explains why that 4:48 version is the one she performed on the Tube tv show ! It seemed odd to perform a b-side remix.

So to be clear let's have a recap :

- The 12" version is the Reggie Lucas produced version

- The 4:48 is the Jellybean Benitez original version that was the original album version

- The 3:41 version is the video version that replaced the 4:48 version from the original pressing in some countries 

- Then there's the 3:50 version from the single that is an edit of the 12" version

And the '81 demo. Can I add this to the list?

7 hours ago, Cyber-Raga said:

The 12" version is the original version. 

8 hours ago, Crozzauk said:

Is the remix not the original in this case? Wasnt the 12" or Burning Up a different mix / recording, and from the initial 12" deal with Sire? The they re-did it for the album?

NO. THIS is the original version, the 4:48 one. Not the 12" remix I posted above. 

well then let me re-phrase. The 12" was recorded, produced and released before the album was even considered, thus it technically is the original version but not the album version which is not the same. 

When the album was about to be released, the first US pressing indeed included the remixed 4:48 version which when then was swapped by the 12" edit (aka the video version). All later pressings, for the most part, then ran with the edit but the remixed version must have been originally the version to be on the album. You can even read on the CD cover of the First Album (German pressing) that BU runs 4:48 when in fact it only runs just under 4 min. 

The First Album LP (released in Germany in 1985) however does include the 4:48min version which I personally consider to be superior. 

At the end of the day, it is a hot mess.

10 minutes ago, Cyber-Raga said:

well then let me re-phrase. The 12" was recorded, produced and released before the album was even considered, thus it technically is the original version but not the album version which is not the same. 

When the album was about to be released, the first US pressing indeed included the remixed 4:48 version which when then was swapped by the 12" edit (aka the video version). All later pressings, for the most part, then ran with the edit but the remixed version must have been originally the version to be on the album. You can even read on the CD cover of the First Album (German pressing) that BU runs 4:48 when in fact it only runs just under 4 min. 

The First Album LP (released in Germany in 1985) however does include the 4:48min version which I personally consider to be superior. 

At the end of the day, it is a hot mess.

No the video version is not an edit of the 12", it's yet another mix different from the 12" by Reggie Lucas and original album remix (4:48) by Jellybean

In fact we have no proof Jellybean made the video version remix don't we ? We just know he used to make all her remixes. Is there any mention on the Madonna videos collection from 1984 ?

The edit of the 12" was however the single/7" version

On 09/11/2017 at 7:31 PM, Crystal Coffin said:

I'm always...mesmerized by how really awesome this remix is. :wow: I don't detect any flaws. It's totally perfect. 

CRYING.

That song created me!!!!

I had the initial Australian pressing and that was 'the version' for me, however the video was THE first time I ever saw/heard Madonna in 1983. Totally smitten.

Yep the remix is pretty great & haven’t exactly been a fan of some of the eighties remix singles. 

8 hours ago, Cyber-Raga said:

When the album was about to be released, the first US pressing indeed included the remixed 4:48 version which when then was swapped by the 12" edit (aka the video version).

:lol: Haha the video version is NOT an edit of the 12", it's yet another different remix! HOT MESS indeed :rotfl: 

Back then I had a "clutching my pearls moment" when I found out the US album had a different mix of BU.

Love both versions.

11 hours ago, Cyber-Raga said:

...which when then was swapped by the 12" edit (aka the video version). All later pressings, for the most part, then ran with the edit but the remixed version must have been originally the version to be on the album. You can even read on the CD cover of the First Album (German pressing) that BU runs 4:48 when in fact it only runs just under 4 min. 

As it's been pointed out, the video version is a different mix to either the original 12" version or the original album version. However it was swapped mainly in the US. The rest of the world for the most part didn't bother to change the master for the LP. As far as I've seen it was mostly North America and Australia.

Re: the CD version of The First Album, I'm pretty sure the graphic designer team went with the same information they had for the vinyl and, as it usually goes with Warner, whoever was in charge was unaware there were two different versions of the song.

Same way we got the full lenght version of Everybody on the 2001 remaster, an alternate mix of Lucky Star on Celebration, wrong mixes on the digital/streaming releases and so on.

The original 12" replaces the album version on all of my playlists.

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

As it's been pointed out, the video version is a different mix to either the original 12" version or the original album version. However it was swapped mainly in the US. The rest of the world for the most part didn't bother to change the master for the LP. As far as I've seen it was mostly North America and Australia.

Re: the CD version of The First Album, I'm pretty sure the graphic designer team went with the same information they had for the vinyl and, as it usually goes with Warner, whoever was in charge was unaware there were two different versions of the song.

Same way we got the full lenght version of Everybody on the 2001 remaster, an alternate mix of Lucky Star on Celebration, wrong mixes on the digital/streaming releases and so on.

And to confuse people even more, the cd version of the first album reissue (the color cover) has the video version on and not the original jellybean mix that was on the vinyl and cassettes.

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

And to confuse people even more, the cd version of the first album reissue (the color cover) has the video version on and not the original jellybean mix that was on the vinyl and cassettes.

Yes. I think they never set out to be faithful to the vinyl pressing, they just wanted to release it on CD, it happened to be the official artwork at the time in Europe and that was the CD master available.

In the pre mainstream internet days, especially in the 80s where CDs were not big sellers I guess most people assumed whatever version was on their album, be it LP cassette or CD was the one and that was it.