MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Coffin

One of M's coolest remixes of all-time: The 12" "Burning Up"

4 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Yes. I think they never set out to be faithful to the vinyl pressing, they just wanted to release it on CD, it happened to be the official artwork at the time in Europe and that was the CD master available.

In the pre mainstream internet days, especially in the 80s where CDs were not big sellers I guess most people assumed whatever version was on their album, be it LP cassette or CD was the one and that was it.

The thing is that The First album vynil version is the first version i've heard because that's the album i had as a kid so the 4:48 version has always been "the" version for me (and i guess that's the case for a lot of european fans)

Up until i saw the Burning up video on MTV and my sister brought me the Madonna album from the US (as well as maxi vinyls from the first album and Like a virgin) i'd never thought there was another version :)

22 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

The thing is that The First album vynil version is the first version i've heard because that's the album i had as a kid so the 4:48 version has always been "the" version for me (and i guess that's the case for a lot of european fans)

Up until i saw the Burning up video on MTV and my sister brought me the Madonna album from the US (as well as maxi vinyls from the first album and Like a virgin) i'd never thought there was another version :)

European, Latin American, Asian... it's only either the north american / australian fans and those who got the album on the CD era that would feel otherwise.

I always say it's like Christina Aguilera's debut to compare the situation to a more recent release. If you bought that album at the time of release it came with a 3:53 version of What a Girl Wants that was quietly replaced for the more familiar 3:35 single version in pressings from later on that same year.

Some countries updated the mix. Some never did.

40 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

European, Latin American, Asian... it's only either the north american / australian fans and those who got the album on the CD era that would feel otherwise.

I always say it's like Christina Aguilera's debut to compare the situation to a more recent release. If you bought that album at the time of release it came with a 3:53 version of What a Girl Wants that was quietly replaced for the more familiar 3:35 single version in pressings from later on that same year.

Some countries updated the mix. Some never did.

That's yet another situation for us french that "what a girl wants" song :)

It was released a full year prior to Xtina recording it by french artist and Prince protegee Ophelie Winter in french "Ce que je suis" so when Xtina released it it sounded like a deja vu. Winter even had to stop playing it and it ended in a lawsuit.

17 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

That's yet another situation for us french that "what a girl wants" song :)

It was released a full year prior to Xtina recording it by french artist and Prince protegee Ophelie Winter in french "Ce que je suis" so when Xtina released it it sounded like a deja vu. Winter even had to stop playing it and it ended in a lawsuit.

Yeah I heard her version back in the day (same with All4One's I Turn to You) but was unaware of the drama. Maybe that's why they changed it a bit for the single?

I've only ever known the shorter more "rock" video mix that's on current editions of her debut album. I only later discovered the 12" Remix, which I love and preferred until just now when I listened to both back to back and realized they both have unique interesting things about them.

So, just so I have this straight, THIS is the original Jellybean produced version that appear on initial pressings of the album (the link posted earlier is not available in the US)? I never heard it before until today....

And then what happened? Reggie Lucas produced the 12" mix for the single release (before the album was released) and then another mix was created for the video, which replaced the original version on the album? 

2 hours ago, vocalism said:

So, just so I have this straight, THIS is the original Jellybean produced version that appear on initial pressings of the album (the link posted earlier is not available in the US)? I never heard it before until today....

And then what happened? Reggie Lucas produced the 12" mix for the single release (before the album was released) and then another mix was created for the video, which replaced the original version on the album? 

Jellybean's involvement in this track is not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the credits. Not sure if he's ever clarified if one or both mixes are his. The original 12" version and the shorter edit available on the 7" is all Reggie as far as I know.

As a little curiosity, some pressings of the 7" claim the song is taken from the album "Lucky Star":

20171112_051931.png

And yes, that is the "vinyl" version of the song.

It's also the version she performed back then: