MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sky Fits Heaven

What does the general public know about Madonna?

1 hour ago, Juann said:

My mom likes her early stuff and used to play The Immaculate Collection a lot, so I knew most of her classics when I was a kid. But I became a fan of hers in 2014, so before that I was a casual listener.

I'm 22 and what I can tell you from friends and people around me is that aside from her 80s 90s hits, Music, Don't Tell Me, Hollywood, Hung Up, 4 minutes, Give it 2 me and Bitch I'm Madonna are pretty well known Madonna songs.

What it's crazy for me is that I never listened to any MDNA song or heard anything from that era other than M coming to Argentina for a tour. I mean, I remember Music, AL, COADF and HC singles/videos where everywhere. But at the time I didn't even know MDNA existed. When I started listening to all of her albums I was like, "she did an album after the Hard Candy one?". I don't know if there was little coverage or if by that time I was living under a rock but seriously I never heard anything about the album myself or from anyone else.

With RH I was already a fan but I would see friends and people listening, singing, or at least knowing the existence of BIM.

MDNA was famous in Brazil, a lot more than RH. 

I remember when I was in a party and a friend of mine who didn't know that I was a Madonna fan, she almost went crazy dancing and singing L-U-V MADONNA Y-O-U YOU WANNA in a night club, it was really funny 😂

She said it's her favourite song ever.

17 minutes ago, Hector said:

She is the "nasty woman" who threatened to blow up the White House. :america:

Right? Talking about taking things out of the context. It’s beyond me! 🙄

16 minutes ago, Hector said:

And has a British accent “I would say bollocks to that”. - M  :chuckle:

1 hour ago, Hector said:

:lmao:

She's that red woman who fell off the stage. :norway:

the female artist who wants to blow up the white house comment sounds punk rock ;)

there's also the british fake accent

is there a woman with more contradictions? I doubt it ;) 

This is why the remasteted, special edition releases are important.  People really didn't know much about Michael Jackson's or Prince's more recent work either.  To sell a classic, you need a modern venue.   Where are the back catalog remasters?

From my experience, that she knows how to sell her brand but isn't seen as an artist with the usual barbed ageist comments thrown in. She isn't seen as an artist which makes me think 'If she is such a marketing genius, there has to be more to her than just selling a tune with catchy beats. Maybe she has something more to offer. Maybe it is because she can tap into what people are thinking and feeling'.

At this day and age where viral and reaction videos get more shares, Madonna's image doesn't fit because she is too big for something like that. Sure, she can make a catchy video that doesn't have a deep message (Bitch I'm Madonna), but she is seen as desperate. Whatever. I think that when her time comes (which won't be for a very long time), people's attitudes about age and what people can and "can't" do will change. She will play a role in that conversation.