MadonnaNation.com Forums
MCHL

Where did Madonna REHEARSE?

I know over the years I've read bits and pieces about her tour preparations happening in various places. For example, I believe the BLOND AMBITION tour was rehearsed on sound stages at DISNEY and that either the Drowned World Tour or Reinvention used the FORUM arena in LA as a rehearsal space.  Just trying to get some more concrete info about where each tour was rehearsed. 

I remember Christopher saying Drowned World was rehearsed in the same place as The Girlie Show, Culver City. He doesn't mention a venue though. 

Also I could be wrong but I doubt all of the rehearsals for The ReInvention Tour would of took place at The Forum as that would of been extremely expensive. Artists generally book out the venue that a tour opens in for a few weeks for last minute staging rehearsals. 

Sticky and Sweet rehearsals were held in Brooklyn, correct? 

The MDNA Tour was rehearsed at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Colliseum in Uniondale, NY.

The Sticky & Sweet Tour was rehearsed at a soundstage in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY.

AFAIK, both the Re-Invention Tour and the Confessions Tour were rehearsed in Los Angeles. Both tours opened at The Forum in Inglewood.

and where does she rehearse before the actual stage is made and constructed? When they are still in the first stages of the choreography etc, I assume they need just a big dance studio, not an entire arena

20 minutes ago, functions_X said:

and where does she rehearse before the actual stage is made and constructed? When they are still in the first stages of the choreography etc, I assume they need just a big dance studio, not an entire arena

and about that blond dancer/instructor seen in the GGW rehearsal video, I think in the end they do a full show with her instead of Madonna so M can see how the show looks from the audience's perspective from various spots in the arena.

3 hours ago, functions_X said:

and about that blond dancer/instructor seen in the GGW rehearsal video, I think in the end they do a full show with her instead of Madonna so M can see how the show looks from the audience's perspective from various spots in the arena.

And to observe “herself in the whole picture” and make adjustments, corrections and approvals...

5 hours ago, functions_X said:

Yes, you can see that woman on stage in all of those soundcheck/ rehearsals videos from S&S and MDNA.

There's video and/ or pictures from  the BAT and TGS rehearsals in dance studios, so perhaps back in those days she started rehearsals with dancers in dance studios before moving on to those warehouse types of venues, and start rehearsing with a stage/ lights/ props.

girlie-show-rehearsals-1.jpg

33757852790_2f79c18b65_b.jpg

girlie-show-rehearsals-2.jpg

tumblr_ookxt0MdNX1qj28qwo1_500.jpg

Sticky & Sweet Rehearsals went to Cardiff in UK a month before the tour kicked off I used to go up to the stadium and listen to the rehearsals at one point the band was rehearsing material girl obviously it wasn't on the setlist.

1 hour ago, hawes-king said:

Sticky & Sweet Rehearsals went to Cardiff in UK a month before the tour kicked off 

maybe 2 weeks before the opening night, because she was still in NYC in early august 2008

She did the same for MDNA in Tel Aviv I seem to remember, no?

5 hours ago, hawes-king said:

Sticky & Sweet Rehearsals went to Cardiff in UK a month before the tour kicked off I used to go up to the stadium and listen to the rehearsals at one point the band was rehearsing material girl obviously it wasn't on the setlist.

I wish we had more info on songs rehearsed but cut from setlists, like this.

4 hours ago, Gus said:

Yes. Two-three days before the kick off we had the whole show on audio. I remember all the drama and pain attack about the Express Yourself/Born This Way mashup :lol:

8 hours ago, material_boy said:

I wish we had more info on songs rehearsed but cut from setlists, like this.

20110423-news-madonna-girlie-show-setlis

Those are handwritten Girlie Show notes which show "Live to Tell" was planned as well as a "True Blue" interlude 

10 hours ago, Gus said:

Why was one of the Israel concerts cancelled?

59 minutes ago, MCHL said:

20110423-news-madonna-girlie-show-setlis

Those are handwritten Girlie Show notes which show "Live to Tell" was planned as well as a "True Blue" interlude 

Oh yes, this is a famous example -- and "La Isla" being rehearsed for the first encore of Blond Ambition is another famous one. (Gaultier even designed a costume for it!)

And there was "I'm So Stupid" and "Dress You Up" being rehearsed on rawk guitar for RIT, only to be dropped for "Burning Up" and "Material Girl."

And "Deeper and Deeper" and "Everybody" being rehearsed for CT before being dropped for "Erotica" and "La Isla" -- leaks of the CT studio demos eventually made their way to the 'net.

But other tours are so sketchy. Who knows how real the rumors are that a full geisha performance of "Open Your Heart" and Latina rendition of "I Want You" were rehearsed for the DWT, for instance.

5 minutes ago, material_boy said:

Oh yes, this is a famous example -- and "La Isla" being rehearsed for the first encore of Blond Ambition is another famous one. (Gaultier even designed a costume for it!)

Oh I hadn't heard that one. Would love to see the sketch. 

29 minutes ago, material_boy said:

And there was "I'm So Stupid" and "Dress You Up" being rehearsed on rawk guitar for RIT, only to be dropped for "Burning Up" and "Material Girl."

And "Deeper and Deeper" and "Everybody" being rehearsed for CT before being dropped for "Erotica" and "La Isla" -- leaks of the CT studio demos eventually made their way to the 'net.

But other tours are so sketchy. Who knows how real the rumors are that a full geisha performance of "Open Your Heart" and Latina rendition of "I Want You" were rehearsed for the DWT, for instance.

There's also those Virgin Tour notes that leaked a few years ago wich included "Love don't live here anymore" and "Tears of a Clown" 

8ba9921f01f9a355dbb1e6bed91d35da---s-madonna.jpg

CczDJ_QUAAAE0t9.jpg

article-1049989-02722FC700000578-263_224x347.jpg

d20b312a0c8e9c49d07c342d6050d813--notebook-paper-a-clown.jpg

5 hours ago, MCHL said:

Oh I hadn't heard that one. Would love to see the sketch. 

Oh, there’s more than a sketch: this photo of her during the Gaultier fittings for the tour is supposed to be an early take on what he envisioned for the “La Isla” performance.

madonna-jean-paul-gaultier-book-02.jpg

M commented recently that she wanted to use water on tour but that it was a logistical nightmare. Pretty sure this was the number she was referring to. It was cut for “Holiday.”

They usually start in dance studios or standard rehearsal spaces.  Then they move to (and sometimes start in) some sort of soundstage on a film production lot, or larger scale rehearsal facility (quite a few specifically for music rehearsal). Then they book an actual arena venue (usually an in-door venue) for a specific period of time, where the production elements, along with performance, music, etc. start to come together piece by piece. Then in the last few weeks, they move to final production/dress rehearsals, that usually is in the opening arena/stadium where the tour will open. It varies from production to production based on the needs of that show, what is open to book, etc.