MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedehead

Why did she not play more shows on the Who's That Girl Tour?

Just wondering when you compare it to the Bad and Faith Tours, she plays significantly fewer shows. I'm sure she could have done more and we all know Madonna doesn't like burnout (let's face it, the Bad Tour pretty much destroyed Michael Jackson). 

It's just when you compare that MJ did 123 shows, George Michael did 137 shows and Madonna did 38 shows! Maybe she didn't need to because True Blue was selling so well anyway, but still. She probably could have done another 30 shows at least into 1988 but I guess we wouldn't have had Like A Prayer then. 

I always wondered this myself. She had projects lined up basically back-to-back-to-back through the 80s -- record an album, film a movie, record another album, go on tour, record another album, film another movie, go on tour again ... -- except for late-87 and early-88, which was one of the hottest times of her career. It always struck me as very strange that she'd end this tour after so few dates to then go off and do ... nothing. Freddy must have known how much money they were leaving on the table. Maybe she just needed a break?

But I don't quite see what you mean when you say it would have stopped "Like a Prayer," @Suedehead. Another 30 shows would only have pushed the tour into mid-November, which is long before even the earliest work on "LAP" began. (I think Pat said they got an early cut of "Cherish" down in February 1988? Am I remembering that right?)

Didn't she want a year off and that's why she did that Brodway thing? I always asumed that she was exahusted and even freaked out after such a big fame.

I think at that point she was still "trying out" the touring and how it would affect her and her career/finances... She played it safe and made a bigger step each next time... I am more surprised how short DWT was in comparison to tours nowadays

I think I can understand why DWT was shorter than her other tours: 
1. Swept Away was lined up (ugh)
2. She had a family at this point 
3. It was her first tour after a lengthy break and she didn't want to push too much 

But Who's That Girl Tour always struck me as a tour that could have done with at least another 15-20 shows, if not even 30.

Before Sticky, M never toured more than 4 month at a time and I guess the reason being because she does not actually like the physical and time consuming aspect of a life on tour. Maybe that partly changed or she had to reconsider this after DWT because record sales were not what they used to be and thus she moved on to a new business model. But in the 80s and early 90s when you actually went on tour in support of an album, she clearly could not be bothered to do more.

I am sure that her movie career (which she was still holding onto back then) must have also been a contributing factor. 

4 hours ago, functions_X said:

I think at that point she was still "trying out" the touring and how it would affect her and her career/finances... She played it safe and made a bigger step each next time... I am more surprised how short DWT was in comparison to tours nowadays

2 hours ago, Suedehead said:

I think I can understand why DWT was shorter than her other tours: 
1. Swept Away was lined up (ugh)
2. She had a family at this point 
3. It was her first tour after a lengthy break and she didn't want to push too much 

But Who's That Girl Tour always struck me as a tour that could have done with at least another 15-20 shows, if not even 30.

Hard disagree that Drowned World was small. It was totally in line with the size of tours she used to run before S&S. It was her second-biggest tour ever at that time.

• TVT: 40 shows
  • WTG: 38 shows
  • BAT: 57 shows
  • TGS: 39 shows
  • DWT: 47 shows
  • RIT: 56 shows
  • CT: 60 shows
  • S&S: 85 shows
  • MDNA: 88 shows
  • RHT: 85 shows

Also, she said several times that she wrapped DWT, RIT and CT in September because the kids were young and starting school. All three tours run roughly during her kids' summer holidays. It wasn't until S&S 2008 -- Rocco would have been eight at the time, so he'd be in ... second or third grade by then? and David would have been too young to be in school -- that she started touring during the school year with kids. And even then, she added the second leg of S&S ... and it ran through the kids' summer holiday the following year.

I agree that WTG is really the tour that sticks out as strange. Virgin was supposed to have a second leg that toured Europe and Japan after her wedding to Sean, but that was aborted when she went to work on new music instead. BAT was her biggest tour ever at the time, and she blew her voice out on it. She may not have been physically able to extend BAT even if she wanted to. TGS was very short, but she was already back in the studio in early-94 to record "I'll Remember" and "Bedtime Stories." DWT, RIT, and CT she wrapped when she did because of the kids. The tours got longer after CT. But WTG? That tour ended and ... she took a six month vacation before starting rehearsals for Speed the Plow.

It's not like she didn't earn a long vacation. She'd been going constantly basically since she recorded "Everybody" in 1981, but I always thought it a bit strange that she'd take her first real vacation just as she got super huge instead of extending the tour to the end of 1987 and piling on more European and Asian dates, or heading to Australia.

But Who's That Girl was hugely profitable. It was her first world tour and it was stadiums. She didn't even go to Australia or South America, for instance. And I'm sure there was demand for some more European & North American shows.

(That being said, the Leeds UK date wasn't sold out).

3 hours ago, Suedehead said:

But Who's That Girl was hugely profitable. It was her first world tour and it was stadiums. She didn't even go to Australia or South America, for instance. And I'm sure there was demand for some more European & North American shows.

(That being said, the Leeds UK date wasn't sold out).

South America didn’t have the market that it does today. None of the big tours of the 80s went there. It was the 90s and, especially, the 00s that saw Argentina and Brazil (and the whole continent, really) grow into a major music market. Same goes for South Korea — an absolutely _enormous_ market today that largely didn’t exist in the 80s.

But you’re right that she could have done dozens more shows in North America and Europe. Michael Jackson and George Michael were both doing 40-60 shows in North America and Europe at the this time. And that’s to say nothing of Japan and Australia.

Edited by material_boy

I think she probably wanted time off to invest into her failing marriage. Wasn’t Sean in jail for a significant portion of this tour due to assaulting the photographers that regularly harrassed the “Poison Penns”

Even after 38 shows, though, Madonna said that she was completely sick of her music and never wanted to hear any of her songs ever again.  I'd say she wasn't interested in touring for any longer than she had in TVT, probably because of the physical demands (and, as boy noted, her marriage was in trouble and it's possible that Sean told her to make a choice between him or her career).  Incidentally, her first ever tour was supposed to be to Australia and Japan (before the US), because initially, she was more successful in Australia especially than anywhere else ("Madonna" was the 10th highest selling album of 1984 here).  Then LAV exploded and it was decided that she needed to focus on her domestic fans in the US first (so we had to wait until 1993 to see her, and then until 2016 to see her again...).

These days, artists don't make any real money from music sales (Adele and Ed Sheeran excepted...!), so touring is a necessity.  Back in the 80s, there was serious money in music sales (even one massive hit single was enough to set an artist up for years of living in comfort).  With streaming generating a pittance for artists, they really have no choice but to go on the road if they want to earn a lot money (not that this is what motivates all of them, of course - it's about being artists first and foremost, but everyone deserves to be paid for their work).

I have the feeling she enjoys preparing the shows, but once she´s been performing them for a month, she is thinking in other thing. And same with her albums, once they are out, she is thinking in her next projects

On 29/10/2017 at 10:40 PM, material_boy said:

South America didn’t have the market that it does today. None of the big tours of the 80s went there. It was the 90s and, especially, the 00s that saw Argentina and Brazil (and the whole continent, really) grow into a major music market. Same goes for South Korea — an absolutely _enormous_ market today that largely didn’t exist in the 80s.

Chile is known for having one of the priciest tickets in the region. However the big tours didn't start 'til Rod Stewart and Cyndi Lauper visited us in 1989.

18 hours ago, Carta said:

Even after 38 shows, though, Madonna said that she was completely sick of her music and never wanted to hear any of her songs ever again.  I'd say she wasn't interested in touring for any longer than she had in TVT, probably because of the physical demands (and, as boy noted, her marriage was in trouble and it's possible that Sean told her to make a choice between him or her career).  Incidentally, her first ever tour was supposed to be to Australia and Japan (before the US), because initially, she was more successful in Australia especially than anywhere else ("Madonna" was the 10th highest selling album of 1984 here).  Then LAV exploded and it was decided that she needed to focus on her domestic fans in the US first (so we had to wait until 1993 to see her, and then until 2016 to see her again...).

These days, artists don't make any real money from music sales (Adele and Ed Sheeran excepted...!), so touring is a necessity.  Back in the 80s, there was serious money in music sales (even one massive hit single was enough to set an artist up for years of living in comfort).  With streaming generating a pittance for artists, they really have no choice but to go on the road if they want to earn a lot money (not that this is what motivates all of them, of course - it's about being artists first and foremost, but everyone deserves to be paid for their work).

Exactly. Today, touring is where the money is. But back then, you only had one big top ten hit and you became rich. 

Madonna only stated touring more than her usual 4 months after she signed the mega bucks deal with LiveNation.

She never wanted to burn herself out and she moved rapidly onto the next project after she wrapped her tours. I doubt we would of got the amazing projects we did so soon if she had of tours for double or triple her contenpories always toured in the 80s and 90s.

The feeling I always got from 80's/90's Madonna was that she hated touring. She complained about having to live out of a suitcase during the Virgin Tour, then totally burnt herself out on the Who's That Girl Tour and returned home exhausted and with her marriage in trouble. She was known to be frustrated by Freddy as he was always pushing her to tour so he could make money. He apparently balked at her desire to go on broadway as he would be making significantly less money from her. As someone else said, she blew her voice out on the Blond Ambition Tour and was once again exhausted and burnt out. In 1993 the Girlie Show was apparently only supposed to visit Japan and Australia but she was talked into adding dates in places she hadn't toured before as her stock was pretty low in her previously main markets.

One used to tour in support of an album because that is where the big money was made. Tickets for tours were not as high as they are nowadays. 

That all changed with file sharing and the internet in general. Once the album sales were plummeting the touring strategies and prices were adapted accordingly as a form of compensation.

So it is no surprise to me that RIT marked the beginning for her new “appreciation” of world tours. 

I must find the interview i read from back then where she kind of explained why the tour was not longer. That's a transcription from an interview she gave RADIO 1 in december 1986

image.png

image.png

I remember reading she said "I'll  never tour again" right after WTG, then again for BAT and then after the GS. She was obviously exhausted after each tour (understandably) 

It was clearly her marriage that was in jeopardy! Sean was in jail while she was on tour and shortly after the tour finished things got awkward and the marriage was failing.

On 2.11.2017 at 7:35 AM, Rugbyguy said:

The feeling I always got from 80's/90's Madonna was that she hated touring. She complained about having to live out of a suitcase during the Virgin Tour, then totally burnt herself out on the Who's That Girl Tour and returned home exhausted and with her marriage in trouble. She was known to be frustrated by Freddy as he was always pushing her to tour so he could make money. He apparently balked at her desire to go on broadway as he would be making significantly less money from her. As someone else said, she blew her voice out on the Blond Ambition Tour and was once again exhausted and burnt out. In 1993 the Girlie Show was apparently only supposed to visit Japan and Australia but she was talked into adding dates in places she hadn't toured before as her stock was pretty low in her previously main markets.

yes I got that feeling too, I noticed it especially after BA

To me she never was a real touring artist in the 80s and 90s, her shows were always these rare events you had to witness, I kinda liked it that way too lol

She said she’d never tour again after every tour until drowned world. I swear I saw a clip back in 2001 where at one of the last shows she told the audience she’d never tour again. I cried. 

Then the internet happened and she learned to love touring, lol

she has a love hate relationship with it all i'm sure