"What is genocide?" ... "I... don't know."

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Sadly, this is common place now. I have been stunned at what so many "twenty something" people I have met don't know. Not just history, but in music, sport, film etc.  I emphasise that is not ALL of course but quite a lot I have talked to.  I have talked with young people in their late teens and twenties who don't know who Hitler was.  Even spoke to a teenager the other week who did not know who the current Australian Prime Minster was. 

Which also leads to another theory.  Have also noticed that kids of 5 or 6 that friends and relatives bring to lunches etc, don't converse with others. Their parents get out their iPads straight away in restaurants and they are watching movies and YouTube instead. Throughout the entire meal. When spoken to, they often tell adults to either shush up so they can hear what is on the screen or don't even look away from what they are watching.  They basically don't hardly interact with anyone around them.  Their parents also give into every one of their demands and don't care if they don't talk or eat their meal. Teachers will have their work cut out trying to stimulate them to learn in school. 

This generation has so much knowledge at their fingertips as well.  Many of course are interested and know a lot but many don't as they have not been taught history, politics etc in school.  It is not their fault that they have not been taught basic history and maths etc in school. 

God, I know I sound old and grumpy but it is so noticeable. 

8 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Sadly, this is common place now. I have been stunned at what so many "twenty something" people I have met don't know. Not just history, but in music, sport, film etc.  I emphasise that is not ALL of course but quite a lot I have talked to.  I have talked with young people in their late teens and twenties who don't know who Hitler was.  Even spoke to a teenager the other week who did not know who the current Australian Prime Minster was. 

Which also leads to another theory.  Have also noticed that kids of 5 or 6 that friends and relatives bring to lunches etc, don't converse with others. Their parents get out their iPads straight away in restaurants and they are watching movies and YouTube instead. Throughout the entire meal. When spoken to, they often tell adults to either shush up so they can hear what is on the screen or don't even look away from what they are watching.  They basically don't hardly interact with anyone around them.  Their parents also give into every one of their demands and don't care if they don't talk or eat their meal. Teachers will have their work cut out trying to stimulate them to learn in school. 

This generation has so much knowledge at their fingertips as well.  Many of course are interested and know a lot but many don't as they have not been taught history, politics etc in school.  It is not their fault that they have not been taught basic history and maths etc in school. 

God, I know I sound old and grumpy but it is so noticeable. 

Im starting to think it's because they have EVERYTHING at their fingertips, they don't care anymore. I remember when I was a kid and went to the library (lol) and found a couple of books that were intriguing, history of architecture or arts or movies, these sorts of things. I knew we had no books like these at home so this would be a chance to get to know something new. And I also thought I was about to discover something that no one of my classmates would know, it would give me a certain advantage, make me special in a way. Maybe kids don't feel like this anymore, because everyone can eat up everything at any time. It's become so arbitrary. 

7 hours ago, Lolo said:

Im starting to think it's because they have EVERYTHING at their fingertips, they don't care anymore. I remember when I was a kid and went to the library (lol) and found a couple of books that were intriguing, history of architecture or arts or movies, these sorts of things. I knew we had no books like these at home so this would be a chance to get to know something new. And I also thought I was about to discover something that no one of my classmates would know, it would give me a certain advantage, make me special in a way. Maybe kids don't feel like this anymore, because everyone can eat up everything at any time. It's become so arbitrary. 

Its ironic how technology and all that instant acess of information instead of making people smarter it made people lazy and dumber than ever before. Its scary to think what will be of humans in the near future.

I am not so surprised.

If you ask those people who Kim Kardashian is or what happened on last episode of Game of Thrones or what is an Iphone,

then they can tell you for minutes everything about those.

It's sad. My siblings are glued to their phones 24/7 and it takes shouting at them to get their attention and they proceed to look down and text while pretending to listen.

I agree with the above users. There was an art to going to a library and reading books, learning and navigating through so much information to be more aware and knowledge about the past, present and future of the world that now people are not informed of or bother to inform themselves of.

My little man knows who Hitler is (I asked him cause of this thread) He even asked me if he could say the word Nazi to me, he thought it was offensive  to say. He actually known of him from YouTube lol but he is interested in information and facts. 

He knows about Titanic, 9/11, aeroplanes, space etc. He is not interested in fairy tale books, all he wants is Guinness world records books and other info books. 

I do agree that technology has made kids lazy and uninterested in history. They actually watch less television where you have documentaries etc. It’s all YouTube and Instagram now, sad really. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eroticerotic

How could this happen? Don't they teach this is school??

🤔

i wonder how schools are nowadays with people glued to their phones , poor teachers. Poor future!