MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

The CAMPAIGN & PETITION for a 20th anniversary RAY OF LIGHT deluxe release #ROL20deluxe

On 10/24/2017 at 1:08 PM, Suedehead said:

DISC 1: RAY OF LIGHT - The Legendary Album
1. Drowned World/Substitute For Love
2. Swim
3. Ray Of Light
4. Candy Perfume Girl
5. Skin
6. Nothing Really Matters
7. Sky Fits Heaven
8. Shanti/Ashtangi
9. Frozen
10. The Power of Good-bye
11. To Have and Not to Hold
12. Little Star
13. Mer Girl 

DISC 2: Demos, Outtakes and Rare Tracks
1. Has To Be (previously only available in Japan)
2. Arioso (previously unreleased)
3. Revenge (previously unreleased)
4. Gone, Gone, Gone (previously unreleased)
5. Like A Flower (previously unreleased)
6. Regresando (previously unreleased)
7. Never Love A Stranger (previously unreleased)
8. Be Careful (demo version)
9. No Substitute For Love (demo version)
10. The Power Of Good-bye (demo version)
11. To Have And Not To Hold (demo version)
12. Frozen (demo version)
13. Flirtation Dance ('Skin' demo version)
14. Ray Of Light (early version)

DISC 3: Veronica Electronica - Ray Of Light Remixed
1. Frozen (Stereo MCs Remix)
2. Drowned World (BT's Ashram Remix)
3. Ray Of Light (Sasha's Ultraviolet Remix)
4. Sky Fits Heaven (Sasha Remix)
5. Skin (Orbit remix) - new 2018 remix
6. Candy Perfume Girl (Offer Nissim remix) - new 2018 remix
7. To Have And Not To Hold (Orbit remix) - new 2018 remix
8. The Power of Goodbye (Dallas Austen remix) 

DISC 4: DVD 
1. UltraSound MTV Special: The Making Of Ray Of Light (originally aired 1998)
2. Looking Back: Madonna & William Orbit Interview 2018 (previously unaired) 
3. Frozen (promo video)
4. Ray Of Light (promo video) 
5. Drowned World/Substitute For Love (promo video)
6. The Power of Goodbye (promo video)
7. Nothing Really Matters (promo video)
8. Ray Of Light (live from the Oprah Winfrey Show) 
9. Drowned World/Substitute for Love (live from Septimo de Caballeria)
10. Frozen (live from the Rainforest Benefit concert) 
11. Nothing Really Matters (live from the Grammy Awards) 
12. The Power of Goodbye (live from VH1 Fashion awards) 

This is absolutely perfect!! 

20 hours ago, Katypatra said:

The only thing I want is a remastered Ray of Light deluxe album which would include “Has To Be” and “Like a Flower” as bonus tracks. Both CD and LP. Plus, I want a Ray of Light poster or something and I’m good. But the original album really DOES need to be remastered. I want a sharper, clearer sound and her vocals more distinctive. Anyway, look guys, she will never release all these unreleased songs and DVDs with interviews and videos. Like, I’m seriously hoping for AT LEAST a remastered version of Ray of Light. 

She may need to borrow a Pet Shop Boys song title for the name of any pigs-may-fly rarities release: I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing!

On 25 October 2017 at 2:30 PM, Rebel Heartbreaker said:

ROL was a game-changer for Madonna, as much as LAP was before it.  LAV announced Madonna as a pop star to be reckoned with, LAP showed Madonna had talent to burn, and ROL showed that there was no compare.

I might be biased, as I am an Orbit fan, with my fandom pre-dating the remixes for JML and Erotica (pretty much from his Torch Song 'Wish Thing' album). However, there is not a wasted note/sound/vocal throughout the whole album. Critics often include ROL in articles and books about the best albums of all time. And rightly so.

Erotica deserved a 25th commemoration for sure, but it will be criminal to overlook any decent product release to signify the 20th for ROL.

image.png

What a gorgeous picture.

Did you make this?

5 hours ago, Confessit said:

Although I agree with you and I'd love to see some re-releases this is peanuts compared to the multi-millions she has earned with LN over the last 10 years.

Good business equals money and vice versa. It might not be artistic but any buisness that makes money is a success.

Re-releases are just too small time for her unfortunately.

George is doing that well because of his death I doubt he would get to number 1 again without it, as talented as he was!

This argument just makes zero sense.

All Madonna has to do is sign off on it then sit back and watch her residual cheque get bigger and bank the cash. She has to work for her LN deal. No year long preparation and rehearsal for a tour, no traveling for 6 months, no paying massive overheads. Money for nothing basically, and we all know Madge likes her money - however small change.  

The reason the remaster/re-issue/anniversary edition market is so big is because it DOES make money. For an artist like Madonna who has a loon fanbase that buys 10 copies of everything plus the fact that regular music lovers WILL buy better quality versions of her albums, plus just the simple exposure of having her work out there in the best possible presentation makes it a no-brainer in fact.

I think there's something else going on that's preventing ANY movement on either side when it comes to her WB work. For some reason they seem able to spit out vinyl reissues left, right and centre which leads me to believe there's some sort of clause allowing them to do that (possibly the false belief that vinyl was a dying market and so no provision was made for it in the deal she made on leaving) Possibly something acrimonious going on, or some sort of royalty percentage issue.

I believe it was Demon or Edsel or one of those labels that mentioned approached WB about doing something with True Blue and they got nowhere with it, yet EVERY other WB artist is getting the deluxe treatment. Makes no sense.

Oseary of course likes to pretend Madonna 's career started when he came on board so no surprise that he's not interested. Probably wouldn't get a big enough cut of the pie on 80s/90s stuff. Then that's how shortsighted he is, not realising that Madonna's legacy is a huge part of what keeps her relevant. Diminishing returns will teach him that lesson though. 

3 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

What a gorgeous picture.

Did you make this?

It was a random image find through Google, believe it or not! Would make a great re-release cover. Wouldn't it, Madonna?

3 hours ago, Kim said:

All Madonna has to do is sign off on it then sit back and watch her residual cheque get bigger and bank the cash. She has to work for her LN deal. No year long preparation and rehearsal for a tour, no traveling for 6 months, no paying massive overheads. Money for nothing basically, and we all know Madge likes her money - however small change.  

The reason the remaster/re-issue/anniversary edition market is so big is because it DOES make money. For an artist like Madonna who has a loon fanbase that buys 10 copies of everything plus the fact that regular music lovers WILL buy better quality versions of her albums, plus just the simple exposure of having her work out there in the best possible presentation makes it a no-brainer in fact.

I think there's something else going on that's preventing ANY movement on either side when it comes to her WB work. For some reason they seem able to spit out vinyl reissues left, right and centre which leads me to believe there's some sort of clause allowing them to do that (possibly the false belief that vinyl was a dying market and so no provision was made for it in the deal she made on leaving) Possibly something acrimonious going on, or some sort of royalty percentage issue.

I believe it was Demon or Edsel or one of those labels that mentioned approached WB about doing something with True Blue and they got nowhere with it, yet EVERY other WB artist is getting the deluxe treatment. Makes no sense.

Oseary of course likes to pretend Madonna 's career started when he came on board so no surprise that he's not interested. Probably wouldn't get a big enough cut of the pie on 80s/90s stuff. Then that's how shortsighted he is, not realising that Madonna's legacy is a huge part of what keeps her relevant. Diminishing returns will teach him that lesson though. 

Kim, are you a brother from another mother?! Agree 100% with all that you said here.

The re-issue/deluxe edition market is lucrative. Most likely aimed at MY demographic...which is fine. The younger/streaming demographic are probably not interested in owning physical 'hard copy' but there is a LOT of nostalgia in the marketplace.

4 hours ago, Kim said:

I do agree with you actually some great points raised and I have always thought there MUST BE a clause in the break away contract from WB otherwise they would have rinsed her with releases by now!

I don't think there's enough money in it for Madonna to start asking Guy O to call WB to negociate on re-releasing stuff from the vaults.

Yes I understand Madonna wouldn't need to lift a finger as she has to now for LN, but she makes millions from it, and the Madonna we have seen in recent times is more commercially driven than artistic. (Just my observation!) 

So I think unless there was some kind of contract she would avoid it......that's how she's always played the game, she comes up with goods from a contract and gets the money....

Re-releases and Dulux editions would need her own say so, WB don't care anymore....perhaps once this mega LN deal ends (this year ?) she is a free bird and could consider it.

But as far as digging out songs from past album eras and including them on a re-release, its never been the kind of thing that's enticed her. She only included Your Honesty on R&R though her manager at the time pursuading her.

Who knows how she will operate once she is finished with LN.....but I'd imagine she will re-sign with them for the residency and she will sign another distribution deal for the music. (Although a record company would be better considering the piss poor handling of MDNA and RH).

Just my open thoughts on it :)

Edited by Confessit

It's one of her finest moments...I'd love to see a special anniversary release for this album including all B-sides and videos.

As long as we’re just throwing out wish list items, can I add that she should promote the 20th anniversary with the a ROL Tour modeled after her aborted 1999 tour to the petition? I’d love to see bring that vision to life :wow:

Remasters aren't always that great sound wise, some of the original CDs still sound better.

Reissues, fine... if they're done properly (see the Japan Mini LP CDs that came out a couple of years ago, they are perfection and sound great)

One thing I hate though... DO NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL ARTWORK... that is blasphemy (see the latest George Michael reissue on how not to do it)

ALL I REALLY WANT ARE THE B-SIDES and UNRELEASED SONGS... would be happy with a box set of just those!

Remixes I can give or take, most of them sound dated now anyway...

2 hours ago, humanracin said:

Remasters aren't always that great sound wise, some of the original CDs still sound better.

Reissues, fine... if they're done properly (see the Japan Mini LP CDs that came out a couple of years ago, they are perfection and sound great)

One thing I hate though... DO NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL ARTWORK... that is blasphemy (see the latest George Michael reissue on how not to do it)

ALL I REALLY WANT ARE THE B-SIDES and UNRELEASED SONGS... would be happy with a box set of just those!

Alternative takes and/or demos are always a better idea than lumping old remixes that everyone has got already together. New remixes are very hit and miss. After Donna Summer died (RIP) a remix compilation came out and the choices of newer/current remixers was a very bad idea -- none were a patch on the original. Also, even respected 'old timers' like Giorgio Moroder and Frankie Knuckles did not deliver the goods.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, humanracin said:

You might as well throw away your LAV CD into the dustbin. 

Except the ROL remixes were fantastic and arguably the last time she had amazing remixes. I don't think they sound dated in a bad way at all. 

"dated" is the easy lazy card to be raised whenever someone doesn't like a song released more than 5 years ago. It has its validity in certain cases, but NOT in many. 

Some of the remixes did sound formulaica at the time but remixers like Calderone, Ralphi Rosario etc were very repetitive in their styles.

But I wish we got remixes like that now after the batch of rubbish in the last few years.

I can't say I'm too desperate for a re-release because M's team just wouldn't have the ability produce something to a high enough standard. There would be just too many disappointments like sound issues, random content choices, low-res crappy artwork, nothing new, some strange release schedule, overpriced etc....it's better they just don't bother. I think we'll just have to thankful if she mentions it on instagram. 

How anyone can say the Ray of Light remixes are dated?!? They're absolutely phenomenal (okay Power of Goodbye got a raw deal) and beautifully crafted. Her remix packages from then till around Confessions we're just spectacular......now I can't even finish them they're so crap. 

3 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"dated" is the easy lazy card to be raised whenever someone doesn't like a song released more than 5 years ago. It has its validity in certain cases, but NOT in many. 

it's the equivalent of "has soul in the voice" or "doesn't have soul in the voice", all three are subjective opinions that cannot be proven in anyway, so they are thrown around easily

16 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

This is soooooo true.

"dated" is a concept I will never understand. It shows such a lack of knowledge of what music is. Following this logic, everything that has been released more than 5 years ago is "dated".

It might not be the "current sound", but it's still part of our "history". Doesn't mean it's not good anymore.

1 hour ago, runa said:

This is soooooo true.

"dated" is a concept I will never understand. It shows such a lack of knowledge of what music is. Following this logic, everything that has been released more than 5 years ago is "dated".

It might not be the "current sound", but it's still part of our "history". Doesn't mean it's not good anymore.

It irritates me so much, just like the way teenage gays call everything 'iconic'

Bitch you don't even know what iconic means!!!

On 10/31/2017 at 1:12 PM, Suedehead said:

Except the ROL remixes were fantastic and arguably the last time she had amazing remixes. I don't think they sound dated in a bad way at all. 

Hard disagree -- "Music" era mixes are some of the best of her career:

• Don't Tell Me (Calderone Sensory Mix)
  • Music (Deep Dish Dot Com Mix)
  • Music (Groove Armada Club Mix)
  • What it Feels like for a Girl (Calderone and Quayle Darkside Mix)
  • What it Feels like for a Girl (Above and Beyond 12" Club Mix)

I still listen to these mixes regular 17 years after the fact.

"American Life" is where the mixes started getting weak. I loved the "AL" era mixes at the time, but most of them are just so blah to me now. "Hollywood (Thin White Duke Mix)" is the only mix of the era that I still absolutely love.

On October 31, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Crystal Coffin said:

:asian:

11 hours ago, runa said:

This is soooooo true.

9 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

It irritates me so much, just like the way teenage gays call everything 'iconic'

Bitch you don't even know what iconic means!!!